1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A Look Back: One man's opinion of LT before the 2001 Draft.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JTango32, Dec 12, 2006.

1. JTango32

JTango32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Hello everyone. This is my first official starting thread on BoltTalk. I was ALWAYS a Charger fan, but never had signed up in any bolt forum until I found this one. My only regret now is that I didn't find you guys sooner! My twin brother will probably be the next guy to sign up, as we have both been Charger fans since 1976, (Anyone remember Chargers 10-9 over the steelers? Our first game at the Stadium, even before it was called the Murph.)

Well, enough of that... On to my topic..

Here is one draft expert's, and I use the term loosely, on LaDanian Tomlinson before being drafted... His e-mail address is listed, so you could give him your opinion on the matter... By the way, NFL Network is showing all of LT's TDs today so any Cox Cable Guy or Satellite Dude, please hook it up for us fans!!!

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2001/profile/ladainian_tomlinson.html

LADAINIAN TOMLINSON
    By: Dave-Te' Thomas

#5-LADAINIAN TOMLINSON Texas Christian University Horned Frogs 5:10.0-221

ANALYSIS
    Positives... Well-built athlete with an outstanding size/speed package... Flashes quick moves off the snap and is very effective scanning the field when taking a pitch-out...Shows determination and power running between the tackles...Has a compact build and a strong lower frame that allows him to run through arm tackles...Shows strength breaking into the secondary... Takes good angles trying to accelerate past the line...Has good veer and weave running with the ball...Protects the ball securely and displays solid route-running skills with proper hand extension going for the screen passes...Very quick and decisive getting to off-target throws...Stands his ground firmly as a blocker picking up the blitz, facing up to deliver a forceful hand punch.

Negatives... Works better when taking the pitch-out, lacking the sudden moves to get off the snap from the proper stance...For all of his power, he seems to prefer to run out of bounds rather than turn upfield to gain extra yardage...not that productive when called upon to take the ball up the middle...Looks to make the "home run" plays too often, developing a reliance on that factor... Better when he gets a rolling start (best with a few yards to build up), but still lacks that explosive burst you'd want in a player with his quickness...Little tight in the hips, preventing him from developing any "shake-&-bake" moves...Willing blocker, but not one who can rock the defender back...Shows strength breaking low tackles, but does not have that quick first step to avoid nor does he use his power to move the pile.

CAREER NOTES
    The most decorated player in the history of the school...Became the first TCU player to finish in the top five in the Heisman Trophy voting (2000) since tailback Kenneth Davis finished fifth in 1984, and only the fifth player ever to accomplish that feat, joining Sammy Baugh (fourth in 1936), Davey O'Brien (won in 1938), Davis and Jim Swink (second in 1955)...His 5263 rushing yards rank eighth in NCAA Division 1-A history and he is only the ninth player in NCAA annals to surpass the 5000-yard barrier...His total is also a Western Athletic Conference career record...Has scored 324 points in his career, a school record and 13th on the NCAA Division 1-A all-time list...Holds the school's career-record, ranks second in WAC history and eighth in NCAA annals with 54 touchdowns on the ground...Holds the Horned Frogs record with 21 100-yard games rushing, including in his last thirteen contests (rushed for 2689 yards in those thirteen games)...Holds TCU's all-time records with 6337 all-purpose yards, the 11th-best total in college football history... Earned Western Athletic Conference Player of the Week honors eleven times during his career...Only the third player in Division 1-A history to lead the nation in rushing in consecutive years (1999-2000), joining Iowa State's Troy Davis (1995-96) and Ricky Williams of Texas (1997-98)...Became the first player in school annals to ever lead the nation in rushing (1850 yards in 1999)...Joined Ricky Williams as the only players in college football to ever rush for over 2000 yards in a season and over 5000 yards in a career...First TCU player since Kenneth Davis (1984) to earn All-American honors...Since arriving on campus in 1997, he has averaged 109.5 yards per game rushing against ranked opponents...Owns four of the school's top fifteen runs from scrimmage, including a pair of 89-yarders that set the Horned Frog mark.

REMIND ME OF... Philadelphia's Duce Staley.

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL... Once he adjusts to running from a pro-set instead of a veer offense, watch him grow into a very effective back. Definitely starting material, but he has enough to only garner All-Pro consideration eventually, but this is no franchise back (or anyone else) here, folks. His numbers are very impressive, but he's a product of the team's system. Too bad too many general managers are desperate for a running back, as he'll go higher than his stock dictates.

This is his email address, directly from this article "E-mail the "Madman from Brooklyn" at nflscouting@aol.com"

P.S. I know I am new here, so to me anything previously posted where this is a duplicate, my bad, but I hope to contribute more often, and hopefully I am original... Go Bolts!

• Like Like x 1
  2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Welcome and nice find! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Welcome and you have some good opinions

• Like Like x 1
  4. JTango32

JTango32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Y'all. I appreciate the kind sentiments, but does anyone care to comment on the observations of this draft expert? How about when he compares LT to... duce staley?

Or you want to read his his crystal ball segment right at the very end where he sees LT's career going?

WANT DAVE-TE'S COMPLETE SCOUTING REPORT?
    E-mail the "Madman from Brooklyn" at nflscouting@aol.com

• Like Like x 1
  5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    "Little tight in the hips, preventing him from developing any "shake-&-bake" moves"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I especially like the part where he says he'll eventually garner consideration as an All-Pro... but not franchise material. :icon_rofl:

NICE WORK. Welcome!

• Like Like x 2
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    this is why hte draft is such a crap shoot
    Thank God John Butler didn't read this and believe it

Ironically enough alot of the old 2001 draft publications i have rated Deuce McAllister as higher then Ladanian Tomlinson. McAllister was a back who could do anything whereas LT came out of an option running game.

8. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Clearly this is the report the Browns read when they took Gerald Warren ahead of LT....:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Welcome to the forum JTango32.

The biggest thing I remember when we drafted LT was the post draft press conference after we'd flown him out to San Diego. I remember he talked about how happy he was to be a Charger and he only had one goal here, and that was to win a Super Bowl. This was right after the Ryan Leaf era, so I was super impressed with how positive LaDainian was. I think he's going to reach his goal this year. I so wish I had footage of that rookie press conference.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Who is Gerald Warren? :icon_shrug:

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    :icon_rofl:

LT sucks!

Let's trade him while he's still worth a 7th rounder.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    He plays for the team that got 0wn3d by the Chargers twice this year. :lol:

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Welcome to BoltTalk... :tup:

:bolt: Kill The Chiefs !!! :bolt:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    I think he's on the broncos medical staff; he's in the emergency room all the time :icon_tease:

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    LT is no franchise back? THEN WHO THE HELL IS EVER WAS OR EVER WILL BE?!!!

16. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    And...he used to play for that crappy team in Cleveland that recently put a playoff killing beat down on the "not soft" Chiefs...

17. JTango32

JTango32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    I come home after repping the Chargers all day at Disneyland and I find these replies. THAT's WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! :tup:

I could laugh at this dude all day, but for him to talk about LT in those tones speaks to this "expert's" opinion that mccallister would do better be cause he did his running in the SEC while LT "toiled" against the WAC...
    Guess he didn't have a good write up for walter payton who hails from Div. I-AA Jackson State...

All I know is that Emmitt Smith, when LT is all said and done, will have some Super Bowl Rings and a Dance Trophy, but LT will have his records, some rings of his own (God Willing) but he will definitely leave the dancing to the Stars... :yes:

18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    It is amusing to look back on such evaluations. But I think though that is pretty easy to rip on pre-draft evaluations on a case by case basis. Too many darkhorses appear (Colsten, Gates, etc) in the NFL and too many can't misses tank (Mandarich, Gallery, etc.)

I think on a consensus basis LT was ranked quite high and was drafted accordingly. There will always be an expert or two that blow it on a particular player. The most interesting ones are when the whole industry misses the call. Wasn't the case with LT.

19. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Nah... he's just "lost a step".

[​IMG]

20. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +502
    Welcome to the fold.

I wonder if guys like this re-read their past columns and say "Man I'm a flippin idiot!"

• Like Like x 1
  21. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    No...instead they get major sports network gigs as their draft guru's...:icon_rofl:

22. JTango32

JTango32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Just curious if anyone has called this guru out or even keep it friendly and ask him to re-evaluate LT by e-mailing him?
    I may do it, but if anyone steps up to the plate, please post here what you wrote and what his reply was if any...

23. JonSD

JonSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0

I don't see what's so funny, after his first year LT himself recognized that his core was weak and he put in the extra work. A lot of his 'Cons' were not too far off mark. But that's the difference between LT and the above mentioned Staley. LT took his a look at his weaknesses and applied himself to bettering himself to the point where he's just about as good as it gets.

24. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Does anyone else think that LT slightly changed his running style this season?

To me, he keeps his center of gravity more beneath him, by shortening the distance that he extended his legs on cuts. In the past, his cuts tended to be excessively stretched, and that hurt him on sloppy/wet fields. This season, his cuts seem more within the frame of his body.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think he's doing a better job of knowing when to cut. My complaint last season was that he would cut and get hit at the LoS when he could have hit the hole hard and maybe picked up 1-3 yards. And when a RB is trying to do the impossible his cuts tend to be exaggerated.

This year he seems to be doing a much better job of being patient and always taking the positive gain. And I think it's added .8 YPC to his stats.

26. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

Yes, I think you are correct sir. he still makes the sick moves but he seems to be more patient and yet less hesitant (if that makes any sense) thereby making his cuts more "compact"

it doesen't hurt that hes getting more of a push (at least from one side) from the o-line this year too.

27. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    can you say OWNED??? good find, lt was a good pick haha! "not franchise material" bull, hes goin hall of fame, hes broken 3 records in one season haha

28. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    He's broken more than 3 records this season. He could have has many as 10 records by the end of the regular season, plus the league rushing title.

29. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This is really an excellent point. I remember last year how frustrated I was by how many times he slipped heading in the cut. And he did not only on wet fields. Remember that? It happened a lot. I almost can't remember that happening once this year.

That is what is great about LT. I think he recognized this and adjusted his game.

Good call. Damn them Irish are smart.

30. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Thanks. Don't say that to O'Reilly, he already wears the largest hat size available.

:lol: