1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A Mock Draft from Yahoo

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by turbo_turtle, Jan 5, 2008.

1. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    In this link:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/775975

They say that we will go for a Tyson Jackson DE LSU in the First Round.

I think that we do not need a DE in the 1st round but I do think that we could use either Brandon Flowers or Agib Talib and they are both CB's and I think that either of them would give a good challenge to Jammer and to some extent Cromartie to become a Pro Bowl players year after year.

What is all you guys thoughts on what we need from the 2008 Draft?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I usually really gear up for the draft right after the playoffs. While i like both of the CB's that you mentioned, I think that we need to go for more fat guys first. I'd be looking for an heir to the NT & RG positions first. I don't see DE in the 1st, unless the guy looks to be able to slide into NT.

3. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288

Sorry to disagree TT but we just drafted Paul Oliver in the supp. last year. I don't think we'll go CB in the first.

I would like a RT or RG in the 1st

• Like Like x 1
  4. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    We have Waters, Dobbins and Siler as backups. MLB is fine. OLB is fine I REALLY would like a BIG UGLY to backup Mal and eventually replace him :yes:

But I think in the first go Oline :yes:

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am sorry Philly you hit me up side the head with Paul Oliver. I am very stupid. I apologize. I was not thinking straight.

My opinion though is that since the Chargers do not have many picks this coming 2008 Draft. We do not have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round draft picks. We might have to go for the best available selection with our 1st rounder which according to the Mock is the 27th selection of the Draft.

It would be kind of good to get our O-Line or D-Line help in the the later rounds that we have with our 5th thru 7th round picks to get them from.

I could be all wrong but I hope I am not.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    With Goff & Jamal advancing in age, I'm not so sure that we can wait that late to get fat boy talent. :no:

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Myself I do not like using a 1st round selection on a 2nd or 3rd round talent on either the O-Line or D-Line player that will be groomed to be either the Goff or Williams replacement. That is a lot of money to spend on a player that is going to be on the bench.

That is my opinion.

I do agree though that we need Beef thats for blocking or tackling.

I hope that AJ can get the Beef through the Free agency period., I doubt it though.

Again my opinion.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree, TT, but we don't have any picks in the middle rounds this year. I'm not sure that we can wait until the 5th to get what we need.

Because of our draft pick situation, this may be one year that AJ has to switch tactics a bit & look for good talent in free agency. Either that or package some players in a trade for picks.

Refresh my memory - did we franchise Turner last year? If not, that may be the way to go in order to gain some picks.

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree but since 1992 when we selected Chris Mims a DE was the last time that the Chargers selected either a D-lineman or a O-Lineman in the 1st round.

Also the last time the Bolts selected in the 1st round a O-Lineman was in 1985 when we selected Jim Lachey OT

I am just going with the Chargers History with our selections of either an Oline and D-Line player in the 1st round. It has been 15 years since we have selected a D-lineman and 22 years since a selection of a O-lineman.

I still doubt that we will select either a D-Lineman or O-lineman in the 1st round using history as my base.

I am not sure about Michael turner but I think that we might get a compensatory pick of I hope a 3rd rounder but it could be in the later rounds.

10. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Well Waters was recovering (my opinion he's a STUD), Siler was getting his feet wet and Dobbins is basically a hitter. I think next year we're going to see more of a rotation.

11. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    I think we go BPA also, but i really want an RT, RG or NT. Don't forget that we should get a 3rd or 4th rd comp for Donna

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I was thinking that as well to go with I hope a compensatory pick for Michael Turner when he is let go.

Originally I was thinking that we were only going to have maybe at the maximum of picks would be 5 picks and that was all.

I am hoping for more picks as well for the 2008 Draft.

13. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Why is New England's 32nd 1st round pick forfeited and not their earlier one they got from Sanfrancisco??

14. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I hope that this helps you out.

The Patriots acquired the pick with a trade made during the 2007 draft. New England traded a first-round pick (28th overall) in 2007 to the 49ers for a 2008 first-round pick and a 2007 fourth-round pick. The 49ers used the selection on OT Joe Staley.

That is why the New England Patriots have the 7th pick in the 2008 Draft.

15. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    Louis Castillo was a 1st rounder

16. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

I agree but remember that Coop and Wilhelm were in this system for a while. The only ILB who has been in this system is Dobbins and I think he needs some more seasoning before he gets some time.

17. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

The only reason I can think of is because it was a trade, If I was Commish I would have taken both :yes: :lol:

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I'd love to see us draft Frank Okam out of Texas.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    i wouldn't be surprised if that's who we get and I wouldn't be disappointed
    I don't know though, DTs out of Texas since Casey Hampton have not done very well in the NFL. Okam my issue is that for all his skill and talent never became the dominant player he could've and that reminds me a bit of Shaun Rogers.

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    All due respect Ant, but you can make any player sound like a bad idea. Okam will be a stud in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  21. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223

From what I saw he won't be. I at this point would be shocked if he goes in the top 2 rounds.

• Like Like x 1
  22. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    To franchis Turner would cost over 7 maybe 8 mill for just one year. No team would then trade and pay that for him. They would want to sign him for a longer contract as well.

Turner could just keep the money I know I would.

I don't see any trade that works now.

23. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Chargers are going to try Oliver at safety he just isn't fast/ quick enough to play CB.

The Bolts should have a lot of OL to choose from.

24. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +347
    Well Heath Benedict from Newberry Division II or Duke Robinson from Oklahoma is probably the only real threats to crack the top 32 at the Guard position and they wont even do it so guard is probably out. Maybe Gosder Cherilous would be there late first round but I am not sure that we dont go after a Brandon Flowers or Aqib Talib if they are there! Talib will probably be gone just cause of his versitility to play both sides of the ball however Flowers is a guy who can translate into a Safety!

• Like Like x 1
  25. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +347
    I liked Okam alot last year and thought he would have come out last year but decided to stay! I did not like what I saw this year from him, he looked lazy at times and his footwork looked horrible this year! I agree thumper I think his measureables say he could be dominant however in order for him to do that he will have to improve his work ethic and footwork at the next level!

26. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Brandon Flowers looked good the other night but I don't know if he is 1st round talent. He isn't real big at just 5-11 and 200 lbs.

Aqib Talib 6-2, 205 is a real good looking CB and fits the size that the Bolts like. http://touchdowntube.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/aqib-talib-kansas-102-yard-interception-return/

Gosder Cherilus is a good looking kid who could play ROT and fill in at LOT in a pinch. The Jr list is starting to firm up.

Branden Albert Virginia OG Junior
    Davone Bess Hawaii WR Junior
    Calais Campbell Miami DE Junior
    Jamaal Charles Texas RB Junior
    Ryan Clady Boise State OL Junior
    James Hardy Indiana WR Junior
    Derrick Harvey Florida DE Junior
    Erin Henderson Maryland LB Junior
    Taj Smith Syracuse WR Junior

I was shocked to see Jamaal Charles come out. He could have been the 1st back taken next year. He looks so much like LT it is remarkable.

Derrick Harvey is a interesting player as well. He maybe the best pass rusher in the draft but he isn't big enough to play every down has a DE in the 4-3 defense that most teams run.

He does fit real well as a OLB in a 3-4.

LT should have several more seasons that said A.J. passed on a 1st round pick to keep Turner for just one season so you have to wonder if a great RB slides down the board would Smith take him as a 5 yr type of insurance player.

The Bolts would love a NT as Williams is starting to show some wear but this draft isn't looking to good in that department. Kentwan Balmer is starting to get some attention I have not seen him play but here is a scouting report on him.

Kentwan Balmer
    DT | (6'4", 297, 5.05) | NORTH CAROLINA

Scouts Grade: 90

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy
    View by: Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
    You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Gets good forward lean in stance and is quick enough to make plays in the backfield when lined up at tackle. Takes sound angles to the ball and makes plays in pursuit. Plays with a good motor and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Generally wraps up upon contact and is an adequate open field tackler. Athletic, flashes the ability to redirect inside after setting blockers up to the outside and is a relentless pass rusher. Moves well laterally and runs line stunts well. Shows adequate awareness, times jumps well and he gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Can line up at defensive end or tackle and is versatile. Blocked two kicks last year and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite top-end speed for an end and is going to have problems turning the corner when lined up on the outside. Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and can get driven back when lines up on the inside. Doesn't use hands well and can take too long to shed blocks. Doesn't always drive legs once in position and isn't a powerful bull rusher that can consistently collapse the pocket.

Overall: During his first three seasons (2004-'06) Balmer appeared in 30 games (11 starts) at defensive end and defensive tackle recording 34 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, and 3.5 sacks. He underwent right knee surgery following the 2005 season and suffered a sprained ankle at the end of 2006 forcing him to miss two games. Balmer isn't a great fit at defensive tackle or end but his quickness and athletic ability make him disruptive when he lines up inside and he's big and strong enough to set the edge when lined up at end.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Balmer's at best a 3-4 DE and we got plenty of those

Sorry but Texas DTs haven't had a good reputation since 2001 when Casey Hampton was drafted and Okam hasn't shown anything really this year. I agree he'd be a good pick up in a sense but I don't think he'll be that dominating.

And where did someone hear we are moving Oliver to FS?