1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A no tax stadium plan!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
  2. The Nose

The Nose Member

Ratings:
    +16
  3. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I have not lived in San Diego for many, many years, so I do not have a dog in this fight other than my personal sentimental preference that the Chargers remain in San Diego and my desire to see other Chargers fans, the greatest concentration of which are in San Diego, made happy.

That said, I do not see why the proposed hotel tax is such a big deal. Are the hoteliers really arguing with a straight face that someone willing to travel to San Diego for a trip and incur such expenses as airfare, food, car rental and activity expenses in addition to lodging expenses is going to suddenly say, "That's it! F*ck it! Our hotel cost for this weekend's stay on our base rate $100 per night hotel room just increased by $8 for the 2 night stay this weekend so we ain't going!"

Man, just sacrifice an appetizer or one drink at one meal at a restaurant and the increased expense is pretty much offset. It seems like much ado about nothing and the tax appears to be a way for native San Diegans to get the expense fully paid for without giving up much of anything.

Also, having thousands of extra travelers in San Diego on at least 8 weekends per year seems like a significant increase in demand that would more than offset the very few, if any, travelers that actually might allow the hotel tax to change their view as to whether or not to travel to San Diego.

My concerns about the DeMaio plan are that getting the $300M in investor money from the "FanLords" seems like a specious option to me. Also, the article does not detail the terms of how, precisely, the FanLords are to be paid off for their investment.

Further, the dissemination of other options at this juncture stands to divide the interest of those that favor a stadium being built in San Diego.

IMO, what needs to happen is that there needs to be one plan and all favoring a stadium need to get behind that plan even though they may not think it is the best plan just like those that belong to a particular political party might have to hold their nose and back the candidate chosen by their party even though that candidate is not their first choice just so that they can avoid what they perceive to be an even worse result if the other party's candidate wins.