1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

a Reassuring article about Rivers staying

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Apr 16, 2015.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...o-tennessee-titans-gms-debunk-senseless-rumor

Some quotes

When another NFC general manager was pressed on the subject, his response was telling: "I checked in on Rivers. It was a quick conversation. (Chargers GM) Tom (Telesco) said he wasn't available. San Diego told me he's not going anywhere."

I quizzed another general manager, this one from the AFC, with a simple text message asking about the rumors. He provided a one-word response: "No."

The first NFC GM quoted above told me, "They are keeping him now and will franchise him for the next two years if need be. Wouldn't you?"

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rivers is not going anywhere. In other news, Donald Brown will not be cut and Fluker will not move to guard.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I don't think the Chargers trade Rivers, but now to the other side to play Devils Advocate. The Chargers tell other GM's he's not available because Rivers and Chargers have already talked, they both agreed the only place he'd be traded to would be Tennessee (which has an agreement in the works, just needs to to fall into place) In return, he'll go work out with Mariota and help him refine his skills (which he has done, and when asked about it said he did it just because with no real reasoning behind it)

While everyone knew that Mariota was being tutored by the former Aztec and recent Browns QB coach, the reveal that Rivers has been working with the promising prospect had flown under the radar. Mariota praised Rivers for his work in numerous areas as he prepares for the stark adjustment to the NFL, most notably learning pro style offenses, how to command the huddle and break down a defense. Furthermore, Mariota explained that the Bolts signal caller will continue to mentor him even after the Combine as he prepares for the NFL Draft.

“It will be an adjustment I'll be able to handle,” he said. “It's something I'm going to continue to work on with Philip and different other quarterback coaches right now because Kevin's with the Browns. Learning as much as I can, learning how my drops time up with the route concepts and how my feet are going to help me go through my progressions. All this stuff is little things that I can continue to work on that will help my adjustment.”

When it comes to analyzing opponents, Mariota knows he can learn a lot at the hands of Rivers, a noted film junkie.

“It's going to be tough (to learn),” he said. “For the most part, (you) learn it as much as you can from people like Philip and Kevin. Finding ways to continue to make good decisions with the football.”

In addition to working with him regularly, Rivers also offered Mariota advice that resonated with the prospect.

“(He said) to be myself and to enjoy this process as much as you can. Whatever team gets you, when you get there, make the most of it.”

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The fact is as soon as you tell anyone that he's available...the bridges begin to burn, feelings get hurt, and the chasm gets wider between the two parties.

Which means that if Mariota surprisingly gets taken #1 by the Bucs, and Rivers is all butt hurt still looking to get out, we're even more screwed.

If Rivers gets traded it'll be a snap thing on draft day.

5. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    But shouldn't we hear some leaked information that the Titans are working on a long term deal with Rivers?

6. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I will be very surprised if Rivers is traded! It makes no sense for the Titans to spend $20 M for a non mobile QB who will be behind a bad OL as opposed to $500 K for Mettzenberger(?) and a chance to draft a major building block for the team. #17 is going to throw for another 3k yards in 2015-2016!!

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    If anything is to happen, we won't hear about it until the week of the Draft. My money is Cleveland making a splash either sending one or both picks to Philly for Bradford so Philly moves up. Or moving up themselves (which seems risky based on their past muck ups)

Aside from Cutler's terrible contract, it would be interesting if Chicago was able to trade their 1st and Cutler for Winston

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm pretty sure that'd be tampering while he's still under contract in San Diego.

If it's happening it's under the table

9. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    Even if the Chargers give permission?

I believe that if the team allows it, a player closed to being traded can work out a deal with the new team before the trade

10. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    If they REALLY-REALLY-REALLY wanted Mariota, then wouldn't they be in talks with Tampa? Seriously, all these hot air balloons instantly deflate if Lovie Smith takes Mariota with the first pick, instead of Winston.

It's just my opinion, but I think Rivers is very comfortable with the idea of retiring and moving on to the next stage of his life. If the Chargers stay in SD, I think he would be inclined to sign on for a year or two more. If they go to LA, I think he punches out and becomes a QB whisperer or a coach.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I would imagine that if they REALLY-REALLY-REALLY wanted Mariotta but Tennessee was the only one that wanted to play in those talks that they wouldn't pull the trigger officially until Tampa made their pick.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It might be that Tennessee is the only team Rivers will accept as well. Wisenhunt's presence there makes for a unique situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    This!

IMO, Rivers will only agree to be traded or decide not to sign with the Chargers if certain prerequisites were to be met. I guess that he would like to work with a HC and coaches whom he can place his trust in. An organization which is actively committed to winning rather than just singing pacifying lullabies to its fans and the media. No one is claiming that money is unimportant to Rivers, especially considering the size of his Family, but I still maintain that from what I have gathered about Rivers money is not the top factor in the list of his priorities and devotions.

With that said, I am not a fan of the Titans (literally) so I don't follow that club too closely. Is their OL that much better than the Chargers to be able to protect Rivers against that dominant Texans D? Do they have a legitimate running game with the personnel like a Danny Woodhead (or previously Stroles) who can act as Rivers safety blanket? Do they have a go-to TE like Antonio Gates? (although interestingly I read a report today that he has asked to be taking less snaps in 2015) These are also very important parameters!

If Rivers moved to AFC South, it is not like he will be immediately crowned the King of the Hill. He will still have to earn his dues and has to prove himself. Granted that in AFCW, he will always live in the shadow of Manning and he faces two ferocious Ds in Denver and KC 4 times a year plus a not-so-bad Raiders D; but still in AFCS, he will have to battle the next presumed King (Luck) and an up an coming Blake Bortles.

These are not so easy choices for an almost 34 year old QB to use in order to marshal some rumors in order to garner himself the best possible contract with his existing team.

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    They had a rookie RB who has potential to improve on his rushing yards last year (500) Rivers safety blanket Dexter McCluster.

WR's Kendall Wright, Harry Douglas, Justin Hunter (jury is still out)

O line Taylor Lewan, Chance Warmack, Brian Schwenke, Andy Levitre, Michael Oher

15. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Nothing to set the NFL World on fire with Rivers addition! They seem to need a lot more help than a Pro Bowl QB can give them!

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Rivers, Wisenhunt and Ruston Webster (Titans GM) all have the same agent, so if he was talking to Webster about Rivers, no one would think differently or even consider it because for all we know, they're just having a chat or talking business amongst themselves

17. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    All are brothers from other mothers?! :eek:

18. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    Didn't know that, it makes sense

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think it's crazy that people think Rivers would be OK with going to the Titans. His reasons for not wanting to sign an extension with the Chargers are that he's worried about moving his family to LA and he's concerned with the direction the team is headed. So why would Rivers be interested in moving his family halfway across the country to play on one of the worst rosters in the NFL? It doesn't make sense.

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Plain and simple, his family ties are in Tennessee. Now I feel if the Chargers show him that they're serious about adding key pieces around him, he will stay.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I just don't think family ties alone would compel Rivers to spend his last years in the league running for his life on a team with little to no chance of winning a championship.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...UPAf1iDEAeNF83OBSMQ&oq=Decatur&mra=ls&t=m&z=7

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    You may be right, but you questioned why people may think otherwise and that's why people think otherwise.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    @SportsInsights: The odds of the #Chargers drafting QB Marcus Mariota have moved from +1500 to +250 in the past 24 hours.

@SportsInsights: @PT_Rome San Diego has the 17th overall pick, but there are rumors that they would trade Philip Rivers in order to move up.

27. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    As the Apocryphal proverb goes, "May the Spanos live in interesting times"!

For those who didn't know any better, this above is actually a purported Chinese curse! ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  28. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    What the heck. Vegas is getting in on this now lol. I'd drop 20 on those odds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
  30. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I looked up the word "baller" and I saw Johnny's pic next to it. Well done X'y!