1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A spot of news on Michael Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 13, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Turner's days in San Diego winding down? The suspicion around the league is that the San Diego Chargers will deal backup tailback Michael Turner before or during the draft. Tennessee and Buffalo remain the top suitors and both desperately need a tailback of Turner's skills. The two could gamble in the draft, and hope that a back like Marshawn Lynch is available in the first round, but there continue to be whispers that the stock of the former California star is slipping. San Diego general manager A.J. Smith knows that Atlanta pocketed a pair of second-round choices when it dealt Matt Schaub to Houston as a restricted free agent. Turner is a more polished player at his position than Schaub is at quarterback, so there is no reason he shouldn't expect the same kind of compensation in a trade. It makes little sense to hold onto Turner, who can leave after this season as an unrestricted free agent, without the Chargers getting anything in return. Trade talks have been quiet for the past week, but they will likely pick up as the draft nears.

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    How 'bout a link????

The writer has no clue as to what drives AJ. He could care less about getting nothing for MT next year if trading him now isn't in the best interest of the San Diego Chargers THIS YEAR.

It's not that difficult to comprehend.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    we better get at least a first

4. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    We will or he stays. Take that to the bank.

This must be one of Ants "sources". :lol:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    ESPN Insider, part of a 'latest buzz' article

or if it makes you feel better EC you can believe its my source

6. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks, it's so damn fun. :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Ive heard the best we've been offered so far was a 2nd and a 2nd day pick. Thats according to insider Adam Kaplan, and its not nearly good enough for me.

If we need to, AJ should add a 5th rounder with Turner to get a mid first round pick. We could end up getting Nelson and Meachem in the first round, that would be sick as hell!

8. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I think we should keep Turner this year, and next year if/when he leaves, then so be it if we get nothing. Let's consider the possibility if LT gets hurt, we need a good tailback to fill his shoes without the offense slowing down. This is the year for SD, we need Turner as a insurance policy. Who cares if we don't get anything next year, we need him as LT's backup this year, not next year. I would feel better if we keep him. Draft picks are great in exchange for him, but this is our year, and I've never been more confident of that, we should keep him just in case something happens to LT.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    You know if theres one thing a guy like Michael Turner taught us its that there are PLENTY of good running backs in the later rounds. I like MT, and I'd be fine with him staying, but I'd be better with seeing what AJ Smith could do with 2 first round picks.:tup:

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    I'd rather keep MT and see what Norv cooks up to get him into the games other than the ocassional spot play for LT.

Sure a 1st would be great but there is no way that player will contribute as MT can right now. The goal is the SB not tranin up a new crute to replace a vet.

11. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    well i think he may see something in one of the ppl in the draft, but needs a higher pick to get it. This could explain the need for the 1st and 3rd.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    And in other news, scientists believe that they have discovered the means to cold fusion...

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
  15. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Yeah, I disagree with all these people that say if we don't get rid of him this year that we'll get nothing for him. That's BS, we'll get a full season of MT being on our roster and that isn't "nothing." Which, in my eyes, is better than him not being here in case LT goes does. Furthermore, you never know, next year MT could pull a Dielman and resign with us.

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Like I said, there are plenty of good RBs in the draft. If a guy we dont HAVE to HAVE can get us a 1st round pick then we damn well better take it.

17. BIG WILLIE STYLE

BIG WILLIE STYLE BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    If it gets Reggie Nelson, im for it. Then a WR with our 30th.

Or Meachem and then Michael Griffin with our 30th.

Other than that, if that doesn't work out then I say we keep our one-two punch with LT/Turner.

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Yep.
    It should get us Mechem, Bowe, Nelson, Griffen, or hell even Landry in any combination of two or we can keep Turner.

19. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Lets see where MT's heart is. His best chance to getting a ring is with the chargers. I dont see him coming close with any other team...buffalo or tennesee in the near future atleast within the next 5 years. his best bet is to sign a contract with the chargers for atleast the next two years and hope for the best. He will get paid here. But lets see if greed gets to him.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I wish turner could stay with us. But I just don't see how its possible. I'm having to guess the chargers have to look at the team for not just next year but for the years ahead. I know alot of us just think season to season. But to really run a team you can't do that. The nfl is gonna be around for a long time.

21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thanks mate...how about a spot of tea...:lol: :icon_tease:

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    Trading Turner is a mistake, we need a Rocky Blier, Moose Johnson type guy and I think he's it. Drafting another player that may not be good enough to make this team and losing one that we know can play doesn't make much sense to me.:bolt2:

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Your head sure is in the clouds. I'm sorry but MT said he's ready to become a fulltime RB. Which in football language means "get me out of here, I'm to good for this **** and I need to get paid."

A starting contract for a 5th round pick is high in the shortrun, but its nothing you can live off for years. If he gets a 5mil contract from somebody he's set for life, and you cant turn that down and risk getting injured.

24. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Mike turner has atleast 5+ years left in him. If he can get a healthy contract with the chargers, injury chances would be low with our team. His chances are better here. 4-5 mil a year is not too bad of a deal.

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    :icon_high: Wow.

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    If Turner gets traded, it will be a team in the NFC, that way we will never see him in the playoffs where he could hurt us!

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Sure, pay him 4-5 mill to take 100 carries AT MOST each year. I dont buy it.

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    How come nobody mentions franchise tagging Turner next year?

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Because very few of us think he will be in bolts this year. :icon_shrug:

30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    because you cant keep doing that to someone. Either sign him to a long term deal, or let him go.

And to sign him to a long term deal will be very hard. Why would he accept a second string job here, when others will give him the starting role.