1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A spot of news on Michael Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That's if he's traded. I wouldn't mind getting the first somewhere from 12-15, especially if we do get a third or a swap of seconds. I like the situation with him here, too. Be some interesting two back sets, including options and the depth. But if he is here this season, I'd want to hang on to him. Once franchised he can still be traded next year if the right deal comes along.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,247
    I wnat to hang on to him, but I would also like to see him as a featured back while he is in his prime.

3. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    That could still happen if he was frnachised and we'd still have the leverage to trade him before the next draft, or we could keep him for one more year. He'd still be low mileage and no one knows what kind of injuries will strike here on on other teams. The franchise tag, if he's here, gives a lots of options and there would no reason to give them up.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,247
    I agree.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,671
    <Apr. 14> The trade possibilities involving Turner may have played themselves out, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. The restricted free-agent met with the Bills and Titans, two teams definitely interested in him for this year. The problem is the price tag.
    The Chargers might be willing to take less than the first and the third, but they definitely want a first-round pick, either this year or next year.

The Bills and Titans seemed to be reluctant meet that asking price. The option remains open for another week, but don't hold your breath. Turner is too valuable to give up for less than a first-rounder. He will leave the team after 2007 in free agency, but the Chargers should get at least a fourh-round compensatory pick in return.

6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    For someone needing a running back as priority 1 giving up a 1st rounder alone should be no big deal. Just like they are drafting Turner.

We need The Burner for the Superbowl run anyway.

Keep him, draft a 3rd round running back and move on.

Maybe the bacteria-sized Sproles may end up showing us something.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

8. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Go ahead and laugh. I bet Norv designs plays that take advantage of his abilities.

He will never be an every down back but could be used 10-15 plays a game and take some heat off LT.

I just hope they don't use him like Marty did and run him straight into the line. He almost got killed in 2005 that way.:icon_eek:

9. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Dont forget that Turner is worth a 1st round pick to our team. He is very valuable to this team and how we run the offense. So screw the other scrubs that dont think he is well worth it.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

:yes: yeah I still don't get that:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,671
    i think that was "test the rookie by running the little RB into Donnell Washington (6'4 350)"

12. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Please, don't get me wrong. Sproles is a stud. But Baceria size?:lol:

13. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    The Franchise Tag number this year for a RB is $6,999,000. You want to pay over 7 mil next year for a back up player?

It's not as easy to craft a trade on a franchise tagged player as you think. The team trading for him would want a long term contract in place and why would Turner want to do that. He could make 7 plus in 2008 and then hit the FA market in 2009. Even is they traded for him in the hopes that they could work out a long term deal now your talking about giving up draft pick(s) plus a huge cap hit.

Getting Turner now for a price tag in the 2-3 million range (considering what it would take to sign him long term now) is a lot more attractive than getting him a year from now for twice the price.

Trust me on this Turner wouldn't get franchised tagged next year. AJ would be stuck with a big fat contract that he couldn't justify carrying.

14. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    6 TEAMS STILL INTERESTED IN TURNER

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070417/news_1s17canepa.html
    With Turner, Smith drives hard bargain

April 17, 2007

As the NFL draft approaches and the Michael Turner soup starts to boil, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith has put on his cowboy hat and scarf, has his six-shooter packed by his side and is standing tall in the saddle. He's in full John Wayne mode. It becomes him.

Put it this way: If you want what he's got, don't plan on robbery. Isn't going to happen while The Duke's wearing the badge and holding the ace.

Turner, as you well know by now, is tailback LaDainian Tomlinson's backup, but he's no ordinary reserve. He's real good. He's averaged 6 yards a carry. But he's a restricted free agent, meaning he can talk to any team in The League. If an offer is made, the Chargers can match it to keep him. If no deal is forthcoming and Turner returns, he's unrestricted next year and probably will leave.

Thing is, knowing Turner's value, Smith has put first-and third-round draft tenders on him, meaning the club that wants Turner would have to give up those picks. Smith, normally about as flexible as a diamond, seems willing to bend a bit, but he still wants plenty. Don't bother bringing the wool close to his eyes.

“It's still a 1 and a 3,” says Smith, now busy working with his scouts on the April 28-29 draft. “I'm flexible. What I mean is that I recognize that a 1 and a 3 would paralyze a team's draft. So work with us.
    “Six teams are still very interested. I can only tell you two, Buffalo and Tennessee, because they don't care if it's known. I'm sworn to secrecy on the others. They're trying to stay under the radar. A lot of people are scared to death to let it out. I'm amazed this is going on, but I told them I'd only verify if you come out. Teams love me because of that. I tell them I'd like to have a 1 and a 3 in '07 or '08. You guys decide what it's worth.”

Turner has visited and worked out for Buffalo and Tennessee, who for some ridiculous reason allowed their most productive runners to leave after the season. So they need a back, and there aren't many available in this draft – perhaps none with Turner's ability. He's also a dangerous kickoff return man.

Plus, unlike Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and Cal's Marshawn Lynch, Turner, who just turned 25, is a known commodity. Over three seasons, he has carried the ball 157 times for 941 yards. Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden calls Peterson the best running back prospect he's seen in many years, but I'm not sure he's better than Turner. Peterson runs upright and is not immune to injury. Turner is fresh.

Anyway, the quest for Turner has not ceased, not by any means. But we might not know for certain until draft day. As Smith says, this is a three-way street between the Chargers, the suitors and Turner's agent.

“If nothing happens, I'm perfectly happy to have Michael return here at $2.35 (million),” Smith says. “He'll be a backup here and kick returner. People say A.J.'s stupid to bring him back and (eventually) let him walk. The league probably will throw me a No. 4 (compensatory pick) if that happens. I'll take a 4.

“I know what I'm doing. My mind is clear. It will only be a bonus for us if something happens. Those two teams are the front-runners, but interest from the six has been consistent two weeks before the (March) owners meetings, through the owners meetings, and now.

“I think they're going to try and get a 2 out of me. Good luck, guys. If he doesn't go anywhere, we have a great, great insurance policy.”

Smith doesn't know if he'd accept a high second-round choice. It would depend on who's available and what he's looking for.

“That would have to be very, very special,” he says. “But I'll leave that open. They may plan on giving me what I want, but that won't happen until the draft.”

Smith won't fold, because he doesn't have to. This is a GM who looks into the future. He can count cards, so he knows he has the players to win, which is why other teams covet his athletes, such as Turner, which is why he's locked so many of them up through 2009.

He won't give Turner away, and he shouldn't. He didn't give away his best back and then go looking for someone else's legs. Smith is not afraid to gamble, which sets him apart from many of his conservative brethren. But he isn't an idiot, either.

“Now the bluffing game is on,” he says, “and it could go all the way to the draft. We don't want to give up on a No. 1. It's very much on the front burner, and it hasn't subsided. The game is on now.”

Smith looks at it as he might the OK Corral. He obviously doesn't mind his image.

“Don't be stupid,” he says. “But step out there, get on your horse and ride into town. Let 'em know you're coming down the street.”

Come, Duke, the game is afoot

• Like Like x 1
  15. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    i wonder who the 4 other teams are...Packers, Raiders, Broncos, and Chiefs??? haha, our afc west rivals are thinking....if you can't beat them, might as well steal their players and then TRY to beat them.

16. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    That's an interesting story and AJ is on the top of the way.
    I like Turner, doesn't matter if he stays or goes.

17. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    While I'm pretty sure you hit it right on one team (Green Bay with obvioius need for upgrade), I think we can discount our division rivals - even though they have seen the most (read suffered the most) of Michael Turner, they also know AJ well enough not to bother...
    :bolt::helm1::bolt:

18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Well I assure you that if we do get a first for him we wont be taking meachum that high...More than likely Nelson or maybe even Patrick Willis. And we wont even be sniffing Landry cause he will be gone by pick 7....Bowe is overrated and a possesion WR and lacks the speed we need at WR, Meachum is more of a bet if he last until 30 which is unlikely. I say go Reggie Nelson and then Brandon Siler at #30, and get a guy like Paul Williams or Johnny Lee Higgins in the second or third, both have speed and can stretch the field.

19. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I didn't think Brandon Siler was impressive enough for the first round. Gotta be better value at receiver. I'd rather take a flier on Rice or Meachum earlier on and take a safety at 30.

20. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    nfl live says turners agent claims he will not be moved this offseason and will remain a san diego charger for the upcoming season. it could be a ploy to generate a deal but they are claiming that noone is willing to pay the chargers demands. fine by me, lets have him help us get our ring and then let that bird fly.

21. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10145563

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Dude MT is the key to this draft for us.
    If we get a 1st rounder for him we can fill both our major needs in the 1st round alone, and then build depth with our next 7 picks.

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,671
    Should come down the pikes sooner or later

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Seems like something else is going on besides a team being leery of just giving up 2 2nd rounders for him.

Have to think teams know if A.j. gets another early pick he can build such a powerful team that no team will have a chance against them for years.

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    LT has shown that he can throw the ball in short or intermediate routes. It would be fascinating to see the Chargers run the option with L&M in the backfield. They would no doubt smoke a few folks.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Man, I am so ready for the draft to be over and done with so we can just get on to the real business of winning a Super Bowl already.

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,671
    nah you just want it to be Saturday 9am so the draft can get started :yes:

28. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    shouldn't volek be in play? (nicklebolt said somth'in to me 'bout that btw)

29. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I wonder if the Chargers have tried to pry Roy Williams, Braylon Edwards, Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson lose for Turner. Everyone is talking draft picks, but those teams also need Running Backs. For a guy like Larry Fiztgerald maybe a fifth to sweeten the deal for Arizona.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    That is exactly how I feel. Im anxious to get this show on the road, stop all the pre-draft speculation........................... and start the post-draft speculation. :lol: