1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AAF will allocate players by region to keep college players local

Discussion in 'American Football' started by RaiderRay, Jul 12, 2018 at 8:33 AM.

1. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..Go Any SD Team, Go Raiders Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +1,984
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...yers-by-region-to-keep-college-players-local/

When the Alliance of American Football starts play in February, it hopes to put players on the field in front of fans who cheered for them in college.

J.K. McKay, head of football operations for the AAF, told PFT that the AAF’s top priority in stocking the rosters for its teams will be to keep players who played their college football near the AAF’s eight cities close to home.

“You want to keep local kids home when you can,” McKay said. “It creates fan interest. Our Birmingham team will have Alabama and Auburn, and that will draw some fan interest.”

The AAF will have teams in Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, Tempe, Salt Lake City, San Antonio and San Diego. For players who didn’t go to college near any of those cities, they’ll be allocated to AAF teams based on the last NFL roster they were on. Previous rival leagues, including the USFL and XFL, have taken a similar approach.

“It just makes sense,” McKay said. “You’re bringing in guys people know. From a marketing standpoint it’s good, it allows players to stay home. Other leagues have done it and we’re absolutely committed to it and excited about it.”

McKay said the AAF expects to add a lot of good players in September, picking up training camp players who didn’t make the NFL’s roster cutdown from 90 to 53. The base deal in the AAF will be a three-year, $250,000 contract. Although any player who has the opportunity to play in the NFL is going to choose that over the AAF, McKay said the league has a good idea right now for who some of its top players will be.

“We have a pretty good sense now,” McKay said. “We’ve brought in some really excellent general managers who are experienced in the NFL. We can look now and put together a pretty good list of who you have right now.”

AAF teams will have 75 players on training camp rosters and 50 players on regular season rosters. All eight teams will open a joint training camp at the same location in early January, then break camp and practice in their home cities before the AAF’s inaugural season opens on February 9.

One thing the AAF will not do is bring in college freshmen or sophomores who are not yet eligible for the NFL draft. McKay said he doesn’t think players are ready for pro football until they’re three years out of high school.

“From a health and safety standpoint, we’re concerned about the idea of having a kid come sooner than that,” McKay said.

McKay said he thinks there are enough good football players not in the NFL that the AAF can put on high-quality football.

“The quality of football will determine what we do,” McKay said. “When guys play I think the NFL will take notice and fans will say these guys are good.”

2. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +743
    Cool. It sounds like, if the League lasts, I'll get to root for former Aztecs playing for the San Diego Coryells.

3. RaiderRay

RaiderRay RIP SD Chargers..Go Any SD Team, Go Raiders Staff Member Administrator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +1,984
  4. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +376
    Wow the pro experience is regional too! What if you played in two regions?

5. LABoltFan

LABoltFan Bunker Transplant

Ratings:
    +240
    Lions? Random.

6. RaiderRay

Ratings:
    +1,984
    It is. Looks like we can sign Gates!

7. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +783
    Yes...The pro NFL teams...I can see Raiders and Rams encouraging 'their cut players' to sign with San Diego and hopefully return in a season or two.

Definitely a Lions theme.

8. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,041
    Gates needs to sign with a SB contender or a rival of the bolts in the AFC West. But barring that yeah I'd love him to return to SD. But makes not much sense for him to play for minimum wage for his final year in a secondary league. Ultimately my hope is the AAF draws fans and players away from the NFL, the big names, like the AFL used to do to the NFL. Not sure it's in the cards though......certainly not at first.

I still predict Gates caves and signs with the Deanos at the last minute, posturing for as much as he can get. He'll sell out.

He'd be better off getting involved with the AAF Team in SD in some official capacity. Develop his legacy as a San Diego player above playing for the crap owner in a crap soccer stadium with no chance for a ring.

The real charger greats like the MFIC should also explore that stuff. My dream as that those players with roots in SD and whose loyalty is to SD over the Carson Deanos, will be a big part of whatever pro football team or teams end up in SD. Would love for an expansion NFL team to incorporate those old greats at the minimum for marketing purposes, but more like Elway is being used in DEN. As remote a possibility as that is now, who knows? I still feel SD is a viable NFL market......ranked with CLE and BAL for PSL potential. Some owner like Tsai etc will want in and take advantage of the situation. They'd have to afford their own crib.....there are actually real owners out there able to do that....unlike the moocher Spanos who lives off others.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 2:29 AM
  9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Official Hater

Ratings:
    +893
    This region thing is a horrible idea IMO. How can those college players compare to the Florida college players? I am glad SD is getting another team but with this type of system it looks like Orlando will be my team of choice.

10. TTK

TTK EX-Charger Fan

Ratings:
    +575
    It sounded all so good until this team had any affiliation with Costa Mesa.

11. RaiderRay

Ratings:
    +1,984
    This is how the WFL did it back in 1974 and 1975. They ended up with recogizeable College and NFL players. In fact the equvalent of our team in this regin the Southern Californina Sun finished in 1st place both seaons grabbing local talent. But unlike that league, this league has better financing.

12. Gill Man

Gill Man Inaugural San Diego Charger Fan Since 1962 FUDEAN Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,041
    yeah that's a real bummer for San Diegans

13. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,041
    good points.....drawing from CA talent is a good thing. CA, TX, FL are the major areas for college recruiting and with the best HS football programs in the country.

14. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +376
    Not necessarily. IF they are officially affiliated with the Spenises, yes it’s a bummer. But if they’re just acquiring talent I see nothing wrong with it. I don’t think it would happen but getting Antonio Gates would be a major coup not only for the team but the whole league.

15. Gill Man

Ratings:
    +1,041
    agreed, as long as it's not some official 'farm team' etc ...probably ok. Frankly ANYTHING affiliated with Spanos/Carson makes me puke.:sick:

16. Harryo the K

Harryo the K Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +783
    I suspect the SD AAF team, the Coryells (!), will benefit by having Raiders, Rams, and Dolts cut players as those fans will follow the development of QB Rock Armis Jones and RB Everett Every Down Deacon. Plus, the joy of watching a cut Dolt player develop and getting signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers......priceless. :p