1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

? about Ryan Mathews draft

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LightEmUp, Apr 26, 2010.

1. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I cant say that I'm really upset with this pic. We are getting a good back who is excited to play for the organization.

My only concern is that offense wasnt our problem last year. We averaged 28 points per game with our #1 RB averaging 3.3ypc. So what will Mathews offer? Another TD...maybe. LT had 12 TD's and was/is one of the best at finding the endzone. I just dont see what a RB is supposed to do for our high powered passing offense.

Our biggest weaknesses last year were TOP and stopping teams on 3rd and 4th down when it mattered most. A gifted RB isnt going to help with TOP when it takes our offense less than a minute to score. A defense will. A RB cant help on 3rd and 4th either.

I'm not trying to complain. I've been very critical of AJ and his last three drafts. Selecting Ryan Mathews in the first and being aggressive to get him was a good move. He's a great athlete. My :icon_huh: is, does he really help this team address our biggest weaknesses?

Maybe the thinking is that if we average 35ppg our defense will just work itself out?

- I'm not dismissing the later draft pics, this post is just about our #1 selection in the 2010 draft.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    One of the main reasons TOP was so crummy was because we relied so heavily on the deep pass to score, which means we scored quick and gave the ball back to the other team that much faster.

A gifted RB is going to help with TOP because if we can rely on a running game a lot more that much more time comes off the clock during our drives.

Remember, the clock stops after an incomplete pass but it keeps running after a run play.

On the contrary. A good RB can be HUGE on 3rd and short as well as 4th and short.

The Jets didn't put the nail in the coffin against us on 4th down with a passing play.

Meanwhile, our unreliable run game lead to a loss against Baltimore on a failed 4th down play.

3. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Not about points, it's about balance/improving 31st rank run game. It DOES help with TOP because we can grind out the clock and make teams have the ball less. If we wouldn't have to have relied 100% on Rivers in the playoffs last year we would have won. Rivers is GAWD but eeveryone has off days, a good run game alleviates that pressure. BTW other than the long run that Cro **** the bed on, our defence completely held the Jets in check.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    LT couldn't convert anything short on the ground so we had to punt the ball away. I'm hoping Ryan can give us a power run game that can keep the chains moving. We'll just have to see, the NFL is a bit different than the WAC or MW or whatever it is these day's.

5. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Good points on controlling the ball. I didnt think that was an issue for us with the ability to score so quickly but I do agree.

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    A better running game keeps the ball in the Chargers' hands longer... and out of the opponents' hands longer.

A better running game therefore keeps the defense more fresh, which is particularly important when you need a defensive stand late in the game.

An improved running game also serves to protect Philip Rivers more, because the defense is less likely to sell out on a blitz when running is more of an option.

In other words, there are a variety of reasons to improve the run game, even though the defense needs attention, too.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I tried to make that point and was run off.

He better help, giving up what we did.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    The problem with that point is that it applies to everyone in the draft.

What makes one person a better gamble than another when the same concept applies to all?

While it's a true statement it really has no bearing in a debate of which college player is a better pick than others.

I mean, the NFL was still a bit different from the MWC in 2001. The NFL was still a bit different from the ACC in 2004.

9. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    A RB is only going to help with TOP to an extent though. Our offense is pass first and we have big mobile WR's that want to stretch the field. We will score quick if the defense allows it.

Will the OL late in the game be able to make holes for Mathews so he can control the clock?

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    IMO our offense lost tha Jets game. D did exactly what they had done all season as far as the avergae of points allowed and such IIRC. Rivers was off, we had no run game, and couldn't put points up on the board (thanks Nate) like we did all season.

The run game was priority #1. D-line priority #2. I have faith the coaches and AJ know what they are doing in regards to fixing these 2 issues.

11. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    While I agree with your assessment I cant help but wonder if Ryan Mathews is in for more of the same that LT got. If the running game doesnt get going early Norv will go to what he knows best and thats the air. We could very well see this team 1 dimensional again by mid season next year. Our OL is scary thin.

I'm all about offense but we averaged 28ppg last season. Doesnt sound like offense is having a problem scoring, even with a poor running game.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Why don't you just wait and see instead of deciding already how it's gonna go?

Damn.

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I have no idea if the level of play comparison from one division to another is considered when a team is evaluating a player. imo - It could be. The Big Ten's, ACC's, and SEC's of the world seem to generally have a larger quantity of talent(by default because they have a ton of money and are bigger schools) than the MWCs & MWC's of the world.

A balanced offense will increase TOP by virtue of having more options. We'll score quick or we'll hold on to the ball longer. I'm sure both will be available if our new guy is what they think he is.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

then what would we argue about??

:flag:

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Dude turns every single one into a Star Wars "I have a bad feeling about this" convo.

16. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I've posted previously that DL or OL was who I thought we needed with our first 3-4 picks. I didnt care much for specialty positions. 28ppg should win you most games if your D is strong or you can control the LOS.

Many of the games we have had difficulty with have been lost in the trenches. If not for Cam Thomas selected in the 5th round we may have not addressed our line needs at all. That is troublesome to me.

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    a great offense beats a great defense. jez sayin

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    calling it the "Ryno" draft is a bit misleading...we improved IMMENSELY with 3 potential starters in the next 3 picks. Butler will certainly be a starter, maybe even year 1...this kid has SKILLS, and is maybe better than the Raida's first rounder as the best ILB in the whole draft!!!

Stuckey will push Ellison HARD, he better be ready for a battle. His speed is not something to be taken lightly in today's pass happy NFL.

Cam Thomas will only help in our rotation, the guy could be better than the supposed "prize" 3-4 NT of the draft Mount Fatty.

I was PUMPED about our defensive choices after a little research.

Not to mention the above mentioned improvements in our D because of an improvement in the run game. The Dallas and Tennessee game were the only ones we put away on the ground. I look for at least twice that with Ryno in there.

19. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Our lack of a running game in 2009 made us too one dimensional and in the long run would make us easier to shut down. Sure we scored a lot and won 13 games using the passing game with a crap running game, but look at what has happened to the Patriots. They were extremely good and won big time with the pass in 2007, but now it doesn't seem to be enough for them to do as well. If you put all your eggs in one basket, it's a lot easier for someone to crush all the eggs.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Point taken, but I imagine the difference between the SEC and the MWC is much smaller than the difference between the SEC and the NFL.

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    maybe but the WAC?

Big Ten - 34
    SEC - 49
    Big 12 - 30
    ACC - 31
    Pac 10 - 29
    Big East - 18

The WAC had 5

The MWC had 13

22. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    It's just a damn conference. If it makes you all feel any better LT was from the WAC. Also, Ryan's best performance was against the #5 (in the country) Boise St and he had 234 yards!

23. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Boise St. is just a WAC team! :icon_rofl:

24. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think Mathews is going to be a solid player for a long time. Granted LT is one of the all time greats and I'm glad that he did his damn thing in SD for as long as he did, but time for a new chapter and as far as I am concerned if mathews helps to finally get a championship here that's all that matters.

We def. need a better running game. Without running the ball our Defense is out on the field way too long. With a solid running game this team will be unstopable! Go Bolts!:bolt:

25. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Still, they are #5 in the whole country!!!!! Open your eyes and see the conferences don't matter

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We also had some incredibly bone headed penalties.

27. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Nate Kaeding single-handedly lost that game! :banghead:

28. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I know who Boise St. is, Thanks. :icon_rofl:
    I guess the scarcasm went right over your head.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Same thing.

There might be a difference between the WAC and all of those other conferences, but I'd be willing to bet that difference isn't nearly as big as the difference between any of those conferences and the NFL.

JaMarcus Russell played in the SEC. Lorenzo Neal played in the WAC, as did Marshall Faulk.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Nate Kaeding would not have had the opportunity to cost us the game had the offense not stalled 3 times.

Nate Kaeding did not throw an interception to gift wrap the Jets the ball in their red zone.

Nate Kaeding was not made Shone Greene's ***** in a 60+ yard TD run.

Nate Kaeding did not puss out on a game clinching 4th down run by the Jets.

I'm not denying Nate's blame in the game (I would be a fool to) but to say he single-handedly cost us the game is just as foolish.