1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Abrupt? Egotistical? Smith can be both. But did he mock LT? No

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 25, 2009.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Abrupt? Egotistical? Smith can be both. But did he mock LT? No
    COMMENTARY: Firestorm created by the GM's response to Tomlinson's statement was completely overblown.

Kevin Acee (Contact)

Sunday, January 25, 2009

CALL AND RESPONSE

LaDainian Tomlinson's post on his Web site Jan. 21:

"I have been getting a lot of messages on my site regarding me leaving San Diego. I feel that I need to make it very clear that I have NO intentions of leaving San Diego. San Diego is where my career started and where I'd like it to end. I have nothing but love and the upmost (sic) respect for this team, the players, and the Spanos Family. Me being traded is completely out of my hands. I have ABSOLUTELY no control in that decision making. All I can do is wait and see how it all plays out. As for now, I am a Charger and will be until I am told otherwise."

GM A.J. Smith's response, given to Union-Tribune reporter Kevin Acee later that day:

“My first reaction was we both have similar feelings. I have no intentions of leaving San Diego. San Diego is where my GM career started and where I'd like it to end. I also have nothing but love and the utmost respect for this team, the players and the Spanos family. I have absolutely no control over how long I will be with the Chargers.

“As for now, I am the Chargers' GM, and I have major decisions to ponder for the organization now and in the future. My recommendation to Dean Spanos will be what's in the best interest of the team – both short and long term. That's my job. That's what Dean hired me to do.”

Since writing the story that included the now-infamous A.J. Smith quotes regarding LaDainian Tomlinson's Web site posting, I've been traveling and digesting the national and local reaction to Smith's words.

My reaction to the reaction: Wow!

If you don't know what quote I'm referring to, I'm surprised you're even reading this. Anyone with a passing interest in the NFL has heard or read about what Smith said and the idea he is a horrible human for mocking Tomlinson.

I definitely see where that interpretation comes from. Repeating someone's words to fashion your own quote would certainly not seem to be an attempt to show respect.

But as the person who elicited the quote, I feel a certain unique ability to interpret Smith's intent.

For as abrupt, unpolished and even unfriendly as Smith can come off, I assure you he did not mean to mock LT.

Was he unhappy that Tomlinson had once again gone public talking about how badly he wanted to stay in San Diego? Yes.

Might Smith have been better served saying nothing? Yes.

However, what Smith was simply addressing, in his own uniquely straight-forward way, was the reality of the situation.

In a perfect world without limitations on money and salary cap, Smith would have Tomlinson stay a Charger, too. But given all the reasons that have been outlined ad nauseam over the past few weeks, that might not be possible. And tough decisions have to be made – by Smith.

And again, Smith was not meaning to disrespect LT.

If anything, his comments were a shot across the bow of the greater Tomlinson camp – namely agent Tom Condon – and what Smith perceived as repeated attempts to paint a certain picture.

In contrast to his being an out-of-control egomaniac, as has been portrayed in many corners, Smith is feeling the weight of a decision that will shape a franchise and one that, depending on how it turns out, he knows might not be popular.

Remember, it was Smith who told LT five years ago that his career would not be in vain. Smith is now forced to face the fact that he most likely cannot keep his superstar running back and might have to part ways with him before delivering a Super Bowl.

Yet that remains Smith's all-consuming goal – to bring a Super Bowl to the franchise he has rebuilt.

Yes, Smith has an ego the size of Rhode Island, the state from where he came. You know who else does? Almost every other general manager and coach in the NFL.

Many of them hide it better. Smith doesn't hide much. I respect him for it. He's rough around the edges and proud of it. At least you know where you stand with him.

My educated guess is that the Chargers will, in the end, show Tomlinson the respect he deserves.

They will in the next few weeks offer Tomlinson a restructured contract. Tomlinson, who over the past five seasons has made $36 million, more than any running back in the league, must then decide what he wants to do. If that contract is acceptable to Tomlinson, he will remain a Charger.

If Tomlinson decides the new contract – perhaps with money deferred, perhaps with bonuses, but nowhere near the $24 million he is due to make over the final three seasons of his current pact – is not good enough, then he will be released.

That would be a show of respect from the franchise, immediately letting him walk away and choose which team he will play for rather than putting him through the indignity of a trade that would ultimately yield little.

Regardless of how it came off, the idea that Smith meant disrespect toward Tomlinson is ill-informed.
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...rs-smith-tomlinson-quotes-overblown/?chargers

How many of you owe AJ an apology??

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not me.

3. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Kevin Acee has some freaking common sense. This entire thing was spun extremely out of control by the national media. I hate the media. You cant say anything in the NFL anymore with out it being dissected and analyzed for some sort of hidden meaning thats not there. Bottom line.

1. LT responded to his fans and no one else. He wants to be a charger.

2. AJ responded by saying his first priority is the chargers and at no point mocked LT for his comments.

Period.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Now I wouldn't go that far. :icon_rofl::icon_tease:

5. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Lets just say in this subject....:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

I AM GOD !!!!!!!

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I remember one of the richest men in America asking me "Tony you are going to be working for the biggest ahole on the face of the Earth. How will you handle it?" I told him "by keeping the lines of communication open".

Having someone that will call you a prick to your face versus to your back is someone I can work with any day and any time. :yes: Just like the article says "you know where you stand with the man". That is refreshing to me whereas some people think it is draconian. I like it. :icon_toast:

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Kevin Acee is nothing more than an Attention Whore, And I will never read what he has to say.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I dig Kevin Acee. Straight shooter. Nick Cantelope-head Canepa is coming around as well. Concudan and Anteater drive me nuts.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Then you can buy his Bird Cage Floor material.

For me he is one of the reasons I do not buy The Union Tribune, unless of course we are at the Stadium and it comes with one of those Cheer Cards and those Sunday Coupons, my wife loves those. But I have not seen them sell those in awhile now.

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    In AJ I trust!!!!!:bolt::bolt::bolt:

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Just telling many of us what we already knew.

But Acee got what he wanted out of the original story... another story.

:lol:

13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    way to keep an open mind...

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    AJ may not have intended to mock LT...and I believe that.....but he gave every impression of doing just that. He again ran his mouth more than any other GM in the league because he likes to hear himself talk so much and stuck his foot right in his mouth.

Acee is no Trotter and he is doing nothing more than suck up to AJ in this piece so that he can keep getting quotes from him down the line.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I would, he's the only person who seems to get it and isn't reacting to AJ's words like a vampire to garlic.

People read way too much of their own beliefs into what AJ says, they believe LT is as innocent and pure as the wind driven snow and that AJ is the evil SOB who likes to throw people out of San Diego.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Well so much for all those (Speculators) proved wrong yet once again.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't. He is an egotistical prick. I never said that he mocked LT, just that I thought BOTH should talk & that LT deserves that much as respect.

Exactly. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Good article.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Trotter is a tool who has wrote mostly articles that undermine or try to cause discontent in the chargers org. He has become TJ Simer Jr.

I hope LT will restructure if it comes to that. I want him to be here, but there are other younger studs that need to be retained. Merriman can not leave. That would utterly suck ***. Rivers contract is in process and that will eat a chunk of the cap.

• Like Like x 1
  20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    A.j. never mocked Lt. But I wouldn't put it past the media to make it come out that way.

LT is older and has a 9 million dollar salary cap and he's hurt and may never again be the same LT. So guess what. You try and restructure his contract so the chargers can bring in some needed players and sign long term merriman and Rivers and others. Its as simple as that.

Get a grip people. LT has already made just from the chargers 36 million dollars. He's not hurting. And lord knows how much off his chunky soup commercials. The guy is rich. So don't feel sorry for him.

YOu have to get a grip here and realize we've got to keep progressing not degressing. Unless all you want to do is worry about how much money LT makes. Geez.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    AJ is ok, but Norv is better! :yes:

22. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Anybody that is brainwashed by a news reporter deserves to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

AJ doesn't need to STFU?
    This question isn't directed towards you personally but so many posters keep saying how LT needs to STFU. How did AD get special permission to speak to the press? :icon_shrug:

24. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Its amazing to me how many Charger fans on the UT blog think that Acee was lost with this article.

25. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Educated guess aside, they'd BETTER show LT the respect he deserves after unintentionally or intentionally mocking him.

The way AJ responded reminded of me how poorly the Padres' FOSFO handled the Hoffman situation. And that came out with the Padres losing an icon.

Just get the offer out there, then dont pull it like the Padres did. Give LT enough time to mull it over.

And AJ should just STFU until after the offer is made.

• Like Like x 2
  26. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280

yessir. props friend, welcome to the boards, i havent seen you before unless im just that dull. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  27. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Like she said :tup:

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    LT started this **** storm back in 07, now it's getting to hot and he want's out. LT when your up to your nose in **** don't open your mouth, nothing good will follow.

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Rep to you!!!! :tup:

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Exactly. Yet posters in here are persecuting him for that.