1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Absurd article from CNNSI regarding RB tandems

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Flea Soda, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
  2. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    We don't really have a "tandem." We have an elite running-back and a guy who fills in for him really well. I do think that LT + Turner is the most talented pair of backs in the NFL--maybe ever--but the thing all the teams in that article have in common is that they won't be leaning on one guy to carry the load like the Bolts do.

3. Flea Soda

Flea Soda BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    If anyone can explain then how Mike Bell and Travis Henry are at #5 having never been on the same sideline, I'd appreciate it.. Thank!

I hope Bell and Henry are good nothing against them, I'm just trying to figure out on what rational this top 10 is built??

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Clearly it is because they are the Broncos .. that is it. :icon_shrug:

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Hey I had the exact same instant reaction but after looking closely they are trying to identify the top 10 RB combinations who split time evenly at the position. In this day and age they are saying there is room for 2 good backs on the same time = equal playing time. While we probably have back for back the best 2 RBs on one team you cannot say they split the carrys evenly. LT is a one man tandem if u get my drift. But I was with u initially, once I picked myself up off the floor I began to understand what they are trying to illustrate.. Useless theme though they must be bored.

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    LT > any RB tandem. :yes:

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    no diggity no doubt about that:tup:

8. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    right on target

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Ultimate Truth

10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Looking over this list though TNT has to be included. Turner gets enough playing time (80 attempts for over 500 yards) to rate as a tandem and his presence late in the game alone scares the hell out of the opposition.

This is also a list for 2007 and I have a feeling we will be seeing alot more of Turner this year than last. I see at least 800 yards out of him with LT putting up a solid 1600.

Only way you can leave this duo off is if you think it won't be a duo and Turner is gone. Only logical answer.

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Last year Turner got roughly 20% of the total carries between our two main backs and only about 15% of the team's overall rushes. To me it would need to be much closer to a 50/50 split to qualify as a tandem. For it to qualify as a tandem, both backs have to be just about equally likely to be on the field at any given time. With us, there's zero likelihood of Turner ever starting a game when LT is healthy, and there are many times when MT is lucky to get 3 or 4 carries in a game. He tends to have games where he'll rack up 8-10 carries after LT is taken out of the game entirely. Sorry, but to me that's not a tandem. That's having a premier running back and a premier backup.