1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

According to Kevin Acee - Merriman, McNeill and Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Kevin Acee thinks Jackson will not play for the Chargers this year...

And thinks that if McNeill would have signed the Chargers tender McNeill would have had a long term contract by the 1st game of the year and thinks McNeill will play for the Chargers this year...

And thinks that Merriman might report to camp by saturday...

Hope I got it right...

According to Kevin Acee

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Shawne Merriman plans to report this weekend

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 11, 2010 7:57 PM ET

The San Diego Chargers are about to get one of their restricted free agents back.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman is planning to sign his one-year, $3.269 million tender offer and report to San Diego this weekend.

The question now is whether Merriman can ever regain his form as one of the league's top pass rushers. He missed all but one game of the 2008 season, and although he started 14 games in 2009, he recorded just four sacks.

The Chargers are still missing two unsigned restricted free agents, wide receiver Vincent Jackson and offensive tackle Marcus McNeill. Neither is expected to report any time soon, and there has bee speculation that both could hold out into the regular season -- or even for the entire season.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The only way VJack doesn't play for us this year is if we trade him.

Otherwise he has to report by week 10.

4. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I agree with that long term contract by the start of the season had McNeil signed. Or, at least by the end of the season. I think McNeil was really given bad advice by his hack agent. Or, maybe he's just that stupid, but I always gave him more credit for having a brain in his head.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He doesn't have to do anything. AND .... we don't have to let him back on the roster even if he shows.

I don't believe we'll see VJ as a Charger again. Just my 2 cents.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    VJ has 5 accrued seasons, when a new CBA is agreed upon it most likely will lower URFA back to 4 years, so VJ an McNeil can both sit out the whole year and will likely become URFA anyway.

The only problem for them is if they play the 2011 season by the same rules as the 2010 season

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Week 6 given his suspensions.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    My gut feeling is you are correct...

9. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Merriman signed his tender. I'm only concerned about McNeil, just pay the man what he deserves!

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    McNeil should have his tender put back to 3 mil and VJ should be traded

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Vincent Jackson "not a part of the plan" in San Diego

Posted by Mike Florio on August 12, 2010 6:52 PM ET

With any NFL team, it's hard to know where the B.S. stops and the truth begins. In San Diego, there's plenty of B.S. coming from the man known as A.J. But the Chargers' General Manager also appears ready to follow through on the protracted poker hand that he has been playing with left tackle Marcus McNeill and receiver Vincent Jackson.

As to Jackson specifically, it appears that the Chargers plan to squat on him indefinitely.

In a mailbag column for the San Diego Union-Tribune, Kevin Acee suggests that McNeill could eventually get a long term deal. Not so for Jackson.

"Vincent Jackson is not a part of the plan," Acee writes. " I don't see them using the franchise [tag] on Jackson either. Not now. This has gotten ugly."

With Jackson suspended for the first three games of the season and unlikely to show up and sign his dramatically reduced restricted free agency tender before that, the question becomes whether he'll sign at some point after the suspension ends and before Week 10, after which time he won't be able to play at all in 2010.

If he doesn't show up by Week 10, the Chargers will hold the same rights to him in 2011 that they held in 2010. Jackson's only path out of San Diego, short of a trade, lies in showing up by Week 10, earning a year of credit toward free agency, and then hoping to get out of town next year. (Since he's not under contract, Jackson can show up after August 10 and still earn a year of credit toward free agency.)

So while Acee thinks there's little chance of Jackson showing up for six weeks and making roughly $200,000, the fact that he'll be right back where he is right now if he doesn't show up by Week 10 makes it likely, in our view, that he'll come in by Week 10, get his year of credit, and hope to be able to get out come next year.

And if the Chargers truly aren't interested in signing Jackson to a long-term deal, why don't the Chargers trade him? For a team that has postseason aspirations and, presumably, a desire to win games once they get there (for a change), it makes sense to get something for him before he shows up in November, goes through the motions for six weeks, and then walks away.

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the one good thing. Next year or the year after there will be set perimeters for contracts. And not the mess we have now with not knowing what the new cba's rules will be.

A year too late for some of these guys.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Merriman and Jackson can bounce for all I care. McNiell is one guy that I'd like to see in camp.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I want to see Merriman play. If he still has it, he is still a keeper. If they decide not to keep him, his trade value will go up.

16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Him and McNeill aren't big knuckleheads like VJax.