1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Acee: AJ isn't going anywhere

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
  2. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    And neither is Acee his head still seems to be buried firmly in AJs ***!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think AJ has earned a stay of execution, for his job performance this offseason.

That said I'm still very concerned about Corey Liuget following the path of failure set by Buster and English, or the underwhelming one of Cason. You'd be hard pressed to find a defensive linemen in the entire league who played worse last year, it was Glenn Dorsey'esc. I'm still holding out hope that I'm wrong, based on the excuses of Manusky's incompetance, and the lockout shortened offseason.

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Another great Acee prediction ;)
    Hopefully a safe one though: if the Bolts make the playoffs, then the whole issue is out the window.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Hey, somebody who's as critical of Liuget as me......... how is that possible? ;)

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Acee has taken a turn for the Hacksaw lately by stirring up the locals with this stuff

7. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I'm by no means an AJ fan, in fact i've actually always hated the guy, particularly for the way he's treated some of our legends, and the way he's drafted recently.

But, I gotta give the man his props. He's had a great off-season, starting with some good draft picks, some very underrated free agent pickups that will make us a deeper team, and not overpaying to keep people like VJ has enabled us to get multiple weapons and improve team depth rather than 1 star player. I often felt last season that our problem was a lack of depth, now we have a handful of decent pass rushers, a very deep and diverse receiving crew, and a legitimate shot at winning the division if we can keep those guys on the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Can we back off of AJ for a moment & dump Chao instead? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Yawn.
    P.R. has a cool belt buckle.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree, but it hasn't earned him a long term extension. If he can do the same next year, I personally would support an extension, but 1 good offseason after 4-5 below average to poor ones in a row, does not warrant any sort of long term "stay of execution"

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think it's important to distinguish between playing poorly and being a bad player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree, and I think it takes more than one year which had barely any training camp, to determine if a player is good or bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Knee-jerk reaction to a rookie's performance combined with a nearly non-existent offseason/training camp.

Better turn that Sirius NFL station up a little louder. You seem to be listening to your own BS too much. :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    AJ can write his own ticket and dean knows that.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah, sorry for the 6 month late knee jerk reaction to a player performing poorly in 12 of the 13 games he participated in.:p Like I said I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt due to his rookie status, Manusky, and the lockout. But it's concerning that a player who was never projected to play 3-4 DE comes in and plays that consistantly poor.

Here are some numbers for you to pretend you didn't see.... http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/09/2011-run-stop-percentage-3-4-defensive-ends/

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    It's no secret that Liuget sucked last year........ at least it shouldn't be.

The real question is whether he can get himself straightened out with a full offseason of preparation. He does need to get it in gear though, or he'll be in danger of losing his starting spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Is that like a Honda motorcycle mechanic moving to a Mercedes Benz dealership??? if he was never projected at playing in a 3-4 how can he be figured a failure?

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    He'll be a failure of the GM who picked him....... #imjustsaying

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Just asking questions, sometimes I can't figure out what is trying to be communicated.
    :unsure:

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Melvin better be the real deal, or AJ will be hearing about it again. ;)

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It'll be hard for me to ever bash AJ for drafting a guy I (and everyone else) was so high on, a guy who fits right in with what we do no less.

Which is why you don't see me bash Cason too much, I wasn't over the moon about him, but I thought it was a very safe pick, a guy would start for the next 10 years and be....dare I say...consistant.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Cason's biggest problem appears to be between the ears. ;)

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I do think he's better than Jammer though. I find the rumor that Gilchrist will be pushing Cason for a starting job laughable, a bad sign that seniority and loyalty are outweighing production.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Jammer was a head case last year with his divorce. He may be slowing down, but when his head is in the game, he's still better than Cason. Gilchrist is playing the slot, where he was effective in college. If Pagano doesn't wet the bed like Manusky, then the secondary should be decent again.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's knee-jerk in the fact that this is only his 2nd year & last year he didn't get the benefit that most rookies get of a full offseason regimen & training camp.

If this were someone saying the same things about Mathews in a similar situation you'd be allover their *** about it. I know what the numbers are. I'm just not going to bash him over them after only his rookie year.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Was it really that hard for you to understand the phrase..."I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt"?;)

When have I ever gone off and announced a player a bust after 1 year? Even Buster. Maybe you have me confused with CoronaDoug or HEXEDBOLT.

27. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I tend to stick up for the DBs a lot recently, especially when you consider the amount of time opposing QBs seem to have to make plays when our front 7 are getting next to no pressure on the passer.

This year we seem to have got a lot deeper with the pass rush and have added a couple of good pieces, so in my view we've now given the DBs the help they need to make plays, it's on them to go out and live up to that, especially Cason as Jammer gets old now Case needs to be the #1 CB.

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

• Like Like x 1
  29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That was fun.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Jamal Williams also wasn't projected as a 3-4 NT(Yes, I understand that he wasn't a 1st round pick), but he didn't do squat in this league until he added some lbs and he was moved to a 3-4 scheme. There is nothing saying that a player can only fit into the scheme that they are projected to play in. Corey L just needs a little time before he can be deemed a bust