1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Acee - Chargers' roster deadline nearing - Michael Bennett

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Aug 31, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Chargers' roster deadline nearing

I like Bennett, Not sure I would keep Tolbert over him. But, this article makes me think Bennett is gone. Just not enough spots on this roster.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/31/chargers-roster-deadline-nearing2/?chargers

With every run he makes, the decision becomes more difficult, the question more pressing.

Is Michael Bennett a luxury the Chargers can afford?

“I like Michael Bennett,” head coach Norv Turner said after Saturday's game at Atlanta. “He's having a good training camp. He's shown he's got juice to make big plays. He's still got that burst.”

Bennett on Saturday took a screen pass and ran 48 yards for a touchdown among his 106 total yards from scrimmage. He has a touchdown in all three preseason games and 59 yards on 18 carries. He has been good at picking up blitzes, he can catch, and he clearly still has more than a trace of the speed that made him the Minnesota Vikings' first-round pick in 2001.

“I've been given an opportunity to play and showcase what I can do,” he said. “I'm definitely happy with it.”

But it might not be enough to stay in San Diego, which Bennett earnestly says is his preference.

On a roster deep with backs and precious little space at the bottom, the Chargers' decision before the Sept. 5 final roster cuts will come down to keeping Bennett or fullback Mike Tolbert.

And that judgment will come down to how they feel best protected in the event of a catastrophe — an injury that would keep LaDainian Tomlinson out of a game or games.

With the Chargers not believing Darren Sproles is an every-down back, a scenario without Tomlinson would require them to look beyond their No. 2 tailback.

They will keep fourth-round pick Gartrell Johnson, because they like his potential. But they almost certainly won't want to hand him the ball 20 times or more in a game this season.

So Bennett's fate in San Diego comes down to whether the team's emergency plan at tailback is him or fullback Jacob Hester.

Hester was drafted in 2008 as a fullback/running back hybrid. He spent most of last season working at running back, but he's the starting fullback this year.

If they decide Hester is the fallback option, Tolbert will make the roster. In fact, Tolbert's ability on special teams is what makes this the likely outcome.

But Bennett is forcing them to think.

At 31 years old and about to begin his ninth season in the NFL, he has found a fountain of youth, a flash not apparent in the past three seasons spent bouncing from Kansas City to Tampa Bay before being claimed off waivers by the Chargers last November.

He says his legs are fresh (just 158 touches since 2006) and that reuniting with Chargers strength and conditioning coach Jeff Hurd was a blessing.

“I had him in Kansas City,” Bennett said. “(Hurd is) a guy you're talking about that prepares players to be at their max — the speed training and lifting. Reconnecting with him really helped me.”

The Chargers would be able to go with just Hester at fullback because they have tight ends Brandon Manumaleuna and Kris Wilson ready to work at fullback, if necessary.

But this is a quandary because Tolbert has had a fantastic preseason on special teams. The team's decision makers say he deserves to be on this roster as much as Bennett, and if all goes according to plan (as in, LT remains healthy) Tolbert would likely be able to help the Chargers more than Bennett.

And that's fine with Tolbert, the Chargers' starting fullback most of '08.

“I love special teams,” Tolbert said. “I love to run and hit. What other place can you do that? I'm not doing it on offense. If you can play they'll find a place to put you. I've just been working, and God willing they'll find a place for me on the roster.”

Bennett, for his part, knows he has proved he can still play and will land somewhere if he gets cut here. But he's grown fond of his teammates and believes the Chargers are on the precipice of something special.

“It's a great feeling (to be doing well), but at the end of everything I want to be here,” he said. “I want to be a part of this team. I think we have a chance to win a Super Bowl. It will be a magical season, and I want to be part of it.”

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    My gut says Bennett should stay. As much as it would pain me to see Tolbert go, I think Bennett is the safe choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'd rather keep Bennett than Gartrell at this point. This year and this team are not about 'potential.' This **** is win or go home. If keeping Bennett makes us a better team this year, then Bennett needs to make the roster. 4th round pick be damned.

• Like Like x 3
  4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I hear you, but Hester has been pathetic as a lead blocker and worthless as a tailback. Tolbert is no prodigy, but some of Hester's attempts to lead block this preseason have made me gag.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I agree but AJ and Norv seem to have a serious stiffy for him, so I have to have faith that they see something we don't.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Keep Bennett, send Gartell to the PS (don't think anyone would pick him up from there)

• Like Like x 1
  7. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    They can't afford to send Michael Bennett away. He's the every down Back when LT is hurt. It will be between Gartrell and Tolbert

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    this

DEPTH

Johnson and Tolbert are NOT the kind of depth we need to win a SB. Bennett is.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    This can be applied to any of our stars.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If LT goes down we're screwed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    WHOA. Time warp!

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
  13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
  14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This. If someone picks him up then so be it. We likely will have lots of 4th rounders with all the free agents we expect to lose.

15. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Ha, Excellent point, I totally agree :tup:

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    x3

:tup:

17. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Count me in the keep bennett, cut Johnson fan club as well.

However, doesn't sound that way in the article does it?

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I like what Bennett brings to the team, I'd feel much better knowing we have a good backup for LT.

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I adore Yogi (Tolbert) and love his moxi and ST contributions, love that he can catch a screen in ways Lo never could and do some damage but... Bennett is the greatest insurance for LT we could ever ask for. I really think if I had to choose between the two (if i didnt they'd both make the roster FWIW) I would choose Bennett w/out regret.

I think Bennett can also take some of the pressure off of LT in a way b/c he knows there is someone behind him just in case. Last year he played thru that toe injury which I strongly believe contributed to his season ending injury (when you play hurt the rest of your body has to compensate and it throws your alignment off etc... leaves you more open to additional injuries). This year, if LT gets nicked he can sit and get healthy or get more rest and Bennett can step up. If our Oline does their job, I think Bennett+Sproles+Hester would be solid for us esp with our passing game.

I want LT in the post season, I want him hoisting the Lombardi and going to Disneyland with PR as co-MVP's of Super Bowl. This is the year to make it happen for the first time, the time is now. You need a legitimate running threat to compliment the pass game and Hester isn't it on his own, even with Sproles/Hester as a 1-2-Punch.

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agree with that move. Gartrell is o.k., but not ready for prime time yet. Hide him on the PS and definitely keep Bennett. Have Tolbert to play FB with Hester. LT, Sproles, Bennett, Hester and Tolbert. At least Tolbert can catch once in a while. Something Alligator arms LoNeal could rarely do. Although I love LoNeals fire and competitiveness.

21. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    I'd keep Tolbert, Bennett and cut Gartrell. I've seen nothing from the guy that makes me think he's got a ton of potential. Worse, he gets nowhere up against third stringers from other teams. I fail to see why everyone is so high on him in the FO; I simply am not, period.

22. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Tolbert is horrible at blocking. I think I have seen him make maybe one good block. Same in college, if any of you watched the games he is more of a running/passing option than an actual blocker. He has bad blocking technique and is as much of a FB as LT or Bennett.

Hester is a much better FB, our running game was much better when Hester is in.

Tolbert is decent in the passing game. As for running I still see some problems.

It is a hard decsion. Tolbert might go. Bennett should stay.

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It's basically "New Toy" syndrome.

Kid gets new toy, plays with it exclusively all the while convincing himself this the greatest thing ever, until he realizes it's not half as good all the other toys he already had. Hopefully his mom hasn't throw out the old toys he wasn't playing with before he realizes this.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cut that scrub Osgood & we can keep them all.

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :trout: :beat: :trout:

:icon_tease:

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

cut Whitehurst

:tup:

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Cut Whiteworst and promote Naanee to 3rd QB!!!! :tup:

28. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    [​IMG]