1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Acee: Gates likely to play...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Nov 6, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Acee's twitter..."Antonio Gates walking pretty good as Chargers got ready to leave for walk-through. It's a safe bet he plays. He's never been stopped before."

2. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    My prediction, Ninja Gates will enter the game every time we reach the redzone, slaughter the Texans for 3TDs, retire to his Bat Cave for the bye week, then reemerge in time to spin kick McDouche in the chest week 11.

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Gates is a witch. Along with Rivers, Jammer and Shaun Phillips they are the real warriors on this team. Tolbert is getting there. Oh, yeah, and Sproles.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583

5. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I can't imagine someone as tough as Antonio Gates letting himself be sidelined by plantar fasciitis. I've had it twice---it hurt like hell when I'd first start walking around after sitting or resting for awhile, but once I was up and walking around the pain would fade away. I worked 12-hour shifts a medical/surgical hospital floor when I had my last bout with it, and I never missed a day of work. I don't think Gates will either.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    It depends on how severe it is. Plantar Fasciitis can range from simple inflamation to a strain, sprain or parial tear. I had it once, too, and the pain ran from the heel to the hip. Merely walking is one thing, running and pushing off on the affected foot is another, since the force needed is so much greater than just walking. Hard use aggravates the injury. People who merely have to walk and stand can also make use of orthotics that football players can't use. In hard use, the gate changes also cause serious stress on other parts of the body. It's real easy to blow out an Achilles Tendon or a knee ligament that way.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I have no idea how he does it and can only pray he doesn't further injure himself

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Thats what I'm really worried about.

Should he just miss this game, take the bye, and be better down the stretch? Or is this game an elimination game in itself?

9. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    we lose this and fall to 3-6, we are done. With all the injuries, to win the last 7 games, no way it happens. Houston game is do or die for this team.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    And now I don't think the decoy idea works, because Houston knows he's injured thanks to Acees big damn mouth. I don't see how he can run block, or do any sort of decent route running on two bad feet.

11. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Maybe he could motor down the field on a hoverround like Charlie Weiss. Is that legal?

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The Ninja King will slay the Texans.

13. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I've read that he may risk aggravating the injury, so I would tend to agree that his role may be reduced. Although, If he does play I doubt he'll see time only when they want to go to him. All toughness aside, seems beyond any doubt he'll be shooting-up the pain meds to play. I'm a hard sell for any player and I'm not especially impressed with Gates. I mean, I love his wingspan and he has great hands. Uses his hands well to keep defenders off him. But I'm not impressed with his size, his route running or his speed. He looks real cumbersome and after the catch he can't cut to save his life. I'd harass him and keep him from releasing clean.

I only saw several plays from last week but what I noticed was that the Titans kept showing a very soft corner on the weak-side. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Texans double the wideouts and force the Chargers to consistently beat them with Gates v DB and Mathews getting yards v their front seven. This would require them running their nickle package, but would let their young CBs come up and play aggressive, but with help over the top. I suppose this is where this team comes to life and makes their run to the SB. I find it to be a rather unlikely model, that the front office could successfully undermine the contribution of a number of core players and expect to win. That the players would be happy to go out and underscore the effectiveness of Deano's self-serving methodology. But this is the NFL after all.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Sit Gates. If this team can not win a game without Gates, we are not worthy for crap.

If Gates plays and produces, everyone needs to kiss his as.s and proclaim him as god-like. His urine may rival AJ Smith's in magical powers.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I would agree with you under normal circumstances, but we don't have Floyd or Naanee either. Wilson and McMichael are a huge step back from Gates, its going to take a carrer day from Rivers or the best game ever by our defense to keep us in this game.

16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    ESPN reporting that Gates is out...

[​IMG]

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    mortreport

Gates is inactive

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Arian Foster is the only threat. The WR Johnson is hobbled so one good leg stomp and he is done. The Texan secondary is dogcrap. Even a Rivers caca game will work...oh and Gates is INACTIVE per NFL Network just now.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah just saw that.

20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Still wearing my 85 jersey today. My son just turned 6 today. Said he wants an 85 jersey, dark blue. I'll see what I can do.

21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Except it's not just without Gates. It'd be without their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string wide receivers and Gates.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Rivers will make up the difference and so will the new WR's. Gary Banks is nails. The more I see of Hairytututu I like. I would run more max protect packages today and run run run like hell in the first half and then run run run some more ..... Ryan needs to earn his money today.

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I am glad to hear Gates will sit this one out and just focus on healing up.

24. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    mati wrote: "... its going to take a career day from Rivers or..."

I have no idea what to expect from these backup TEs, but I'd still defend pass first. You'll probably see more multiple rec'r sets. Fact is, what stood out in that short highlight segment from last week was Rivers placement and timing. Pretty brutal! He does that today, look out.