1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Acee/Gehlken Final Roster Prediction - Take 2

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Not sure you can draw that conclusion from one preseason game. The entire special teams unit was lacking...... both blocking and coverage. It looked like the final year of Steve Crosby. Awful.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Well, Bisaccia is gone. Probably one of the best ST's coaches in the league. But, it did look like we were rotating rookies and others into the ST's fold.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    I know it's a work in progress at this point, but they look worse than last year at this time. I think we have too many of our better SP players having to fill regular spots right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45

Well can't be any worst then that San Diego Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs September 13, 2010 <-- That was a night mare game LOL (BLACK MONDAY)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    To add to that point, the fact Kevin Acee and Michael Gehlken predict that Andrew Gachkar will be cut with their 53 man roster predictions makes me laugh a bit. Gachkar has emerged as a ST's leader with Darrell Stuckey. He also serves as a great backup at ILB.

People often think football only has 2 phases, offense and defense, when special teams can make all the difference, I believe Charger fans have experienced the difficulties of having a poor special teams unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    The thing is, the invest in Becton is minimal. He's a UDFA. So it's a risk/reward type of situation. He's have to really blow someone's skirt up to merit the kind of protection of carrying him on the active roster just to keep someone from poaching him, when he's very likely not polished enough to contribute this season. If you have a reasonably high draft pick invested in the guy, that's one thing (there's a greater risk involved then) but the chances of him becoming a starting caliber LOT, the likes of which would discourage the front office from investing a high pick (1st or 2nd round) or a free agent signing (in a proven option) at the position is highly unlikely. The last UDFA across the league to successfully start at and hold down the LOT position at a reasonably high level was Donald Penn in 2006 and that wasn't even with the team that originally signed him as a UDFA. Prior to that it was Jason Peters in 2004, who took 2+ seasons to convert from a TE to an LOT and who has struggled with being able to stay healthy in his lower body - no doubt at least in some small part due to still not being used to playing such an increased weight.

Coaches don't worry about losing project players who could turn out to be "good but likely never great" if they realize their ceiling; largely because it's a widely accepted sentiment and there will end up being a glut of those guys available on the market and a good number of them will never stick around on a roster long enough to realize that development. Now Beltre, with the injury to Ingram he should make the roster anyway, but if not, he's one that has much more potential as a project than Becton does.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    If all Goodman is around for is as a returner then he doesn't merit a roster spot because he's simply not that good of returner. Returner-only options hit the waiver wire all the time - look at Trindon Holliday last year who Denver picked up after Houston dropped him. Also, I've yet to see him used in this capacity by us, but i'm fairly certain Whitaker returned kicks at Texas.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    People keep saying he's not a good returner, but he had one of the highest return averages last season. And nobody would consider that special teams unit elite. Goodman isn't shifty, he's just fast, so he needs a clear hole to run through. With decent blocking, he can be an effective returner. That doesn't mean that someone else couldn't do the job too, but to say has "not good" isn't really accurate.

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Based on his performance the other night, Becton has a long long way to go.

10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +479
    It's possible that Goodman is unaware he can go outside when the middle is all clustered up. Dude runs full speed into someone almost every time. Speed is well and good but you need some shimmy and shake to get to the end zone.

• Like Like x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Makes you wonder why we didn't re-sign SPURLOCK!:(

12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I don't. I'm looking at last season as well.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    The backup punter, who will certainly not make the roster, was kicking line drives all night that were very hard to cover. Plus, you had a bunch of scrubs and rookies being given a chance to do something they had limited experience in doing. As for Goodman, he might be a better cover guy than he is a returner. So it's not like returning kicks is the only contribution he can make.

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The backup was outkicking his coverage, and the coverage was ST #2 anyway. I don't think we got a good look at our top punt coverage team last game. Scifres booted a nice one ob and then ST#1 was done. It'll be interesting to see how it goes tomorrow night.

15. MadMike

Ratings:
    +479
    I really have no clue why Spurlock is not here. His kick returning was miles ahead of Goodman, top speed or not. He seem to catch the ball almost every time it was thrown at him. Ran good routes. Played solid at gunner. Was he just an *** in the locker room? Did he sleep with one of the Spanos's grand children?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. MadMike

Ratings:
    +479
    I agree with you there. Goodman is a much better gunner than returner.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Becton has a long way to go, but Max Starks looked horrible in that game too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No way Becton gets in front of Starks on depth chart though. He was wretched. Doubt he makes team.
    Agreed that Starks was fish out of water on run plays, but he did his job when Whitehurst dropped back.

19. Devo

Devo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry, did not mean to imply Becton should be kept and Starks should be cut. I see how my post could be read that way.

Most second and third team linemen looked bad.

There was one pass play in the second quarter when three o-linemen were bull rushed. All three looked like they were wearing roller skates. It was sad.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    There were some pass plays where Starks was less than 100% solid, but the one time I saw him give up pressure, he still forced the DE outside and Whitehurst had a nice pocket. Could have missed one though.
    I think it's his crap run blocking that's sinking him to #2 whereas Dunlap is actually looking like he gives a sheet every play.

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Roscoe Parish? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Except Goodman's stats last year put him in the top 5 in return average. Something most people here seem to totally ignore.

Stuckey is a better gunner than safety too. We need some quality special teams players on the roster, or we'll risk repeating the disaster that was 2010.

23. MadMike

Ratings:
    +479
    I know his stats, but I felt better with Spurlock back there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    He ain't here, so that's irrelevant now.

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Spurlock was a better receiver as well.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    We kept Osgood for years (which most fans seemed OK with), and he was strictly a one-trick pony. Just a gunner, didn't return kicks, and could've catch to save his life.

I find it interesting that so many people want to dump Goodman, when he has shown value as a special teams player. If you get rid of him, you have to replace both his spots...... returner and gunner. Do we currently have one guy who can do both? It would be foolish to create an extra need, if we don't have to.

27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I guess we have the rest of preseason to find out, don't we?

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    One of the things I like about McCoy, is that he gives everybody a fair shot to show just what they can do. If someone else can do the job, it should become apparent.

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Not irrelevant at all. Especially not when the initial point was "why didn't we re-sign Spurlock?".

Goodman's stats aren't really that impressive, mostly because he's a one-trick pony. He can run really fast in a straight line. Whoopity-freaking-doo. Spurlock's return average would also put him in the Top 10. Difference is, Spurlock was also a viable receiver option. Begging the question - why didn't we re-sign him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Not relevant to our current roster though. The thread is about the final roster prediction. It wasn't discussing who we might've kept in the past.

Goodman's stats aren't impressive? Top 5 in return average is chopped liver, I guess. For a guy who "just runs really fast in a straight line" that's not bad at all. I also wouldn't call our special team blocking stellar last year. A better job opening holes up front could've gotten us even bigger gains.

I get it, Goodman isn't Devin Hester, he's not a jitter bug and just has straight-line speed. He'll never be the best returner in the league, but he doesn't suck...... far from it. He also is a very good gunner on the coverage unit. That seems to be entirely overlooked by many. Osgood stayed around for years just doing that.