1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Acee: Meachem must go... at any cost

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Another reason why guaranteed money is a "blessing" for a player, and a curse for a team. Meachem is getting paid, whether he plays or not..... where's the incentive? Sure, a few people will give their best effort regardless, since they have pride in their performance. That's not the majority though.

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    #1 Allen wasn't drafted for his speed. #2 pure straight-running speed is misleading. Bottom-line: Allen's route running is beyond solid and he's excellent at getting separation (something Meachem flat out sucks at - much to my dismay).

There's a reason Meachem's been buried deep on the depth chart - he hasn't earned the title of "Best WR on the team" let alone the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best. When a player is trying to prove themselves the last thing they should be doing is making bonehead/lazy mistakes. While I can appreciate that he is owning up to his poor performance, it doesn't do anything to repair the damage unless he gets his **** together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    You had me at "...let's not go full blow revisionist history..." (though I have no hope that it will be heeded here)

I think it was the combo of: VJ had a HUGE payday coming + VJ's lousy judgement = AJ reluctance
    (in my view, the $$ slightly more than the behavior, since VJ had behaved more decently later)

(and I say this as a huge VJ fan who wanted him re-signed)

4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    Since you like to quote Krasovic, here is an answer from him during the Chargers chat today:

Thomas Krasovic:
    Meachem has been a dud for the most part since last year's training camp. Pretty good straight line speed. Got open in the 2012 opener, remember? About 40 yard reception vs. Raiders. Looked good at New Orleans. Other than that, not a lot of shake there. They stick to him pretty good. Plus, too many mixups with Rivers (and Whitehurst last Thursday). Clock is ticking.

The Chargers cannot afford to have an apathetic guy running with the ones. We do not have a Julio Jones/Larry Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson etc.. physical freak who can afford to take one off here and there. I have been to 5 practices so far this season and what I can tell you is Meacham has looked great catching and running during individual drills, but has been very poor during team drills. He has half assed plays, dropped balls in the open, and rarely can fight one away from the defender.

While Keenan Allen is not a break away type guy, he has caught the majority of what has been thrown at him in practice and catches the ball in traffic far better then Meacham does.

Vincent Brown is just on a different level then Meacham with his well run routes and great hands.

Malcom Floyd has top 10 hands in this league. He catches the ball in the air better than almost any other receiver. Doesn't have elite speed but catches in traffic well. If he wasn't so fragile he would be a 80 catch / 1200 yard / 10 TD kinda guy.

In the end I think Meacham hangs on because of the cap hit, but at this point in time, from what I've seen at camp, Mike Willie and Dan DePalma are outplaying him and have ten times more heart and enthusiasm for the game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,454
    I always say it's a mistake when a player's family members get involved in a fan forum...... nothing good ever comes of it.

Other than a few laughs. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Pretty much. Keenan Allen isn't a Larry Fitzgerald type receiver. Heck, he's not even a Hakeem Nicks. What he seems eerily reminiscent of - crisp route-running, good hands, quality build and body-control, and even less-than-desirable 40-time - is a young Anquan Boldin. And Quan hasn't exactly been a terrible receiver over his career, has he?

Meanwhile, Meachem has managed to devolve into Kassim Osgood - with less value because he's not even the standout S/T player that Kassim was - a glorified decoy to send on fly and deep post routes just to pull the safeties away from the mid-level of the field.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Given that none of us are privy to the meetings that took place between McGuire and VJ's agents (also Darrelle "I just signed a new contract, then restructured my contract, now I want a new contract" Revis' agents), we'll really never know if the impasse was over the amount of guaranteed money, whether riders/clauses that limited the guarantees based upon VJ staying out of trouble, or what. I have difficulty believing it was a willingness to pay a player that was producing on the field at a top level as one of the highest paid at his position in the league - considering we did that exact thing with Weddle, and previously with Dielman, LT, Rivers... all under the same administration.

I was a huge fan of what VJ did on the field and it pained me to lose him, but whenever I read or heard anything about his off-the-field behavior the guy came across as a complete dumbass and a "all about me" player - seriously, who the hell is out drinking till wee hours on the night before a home playoff game? I fully subscribe to the philosophy that people will make mistakes and that you can't hold that against them... until you're like VJ and you repeat that mistake after already having been disciplined for it in the recent past. At that point, it's no longer a case of ignorance just plain ol' stupidity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steven01

Steven01 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Tom Krasovic of the UT San Diego "Players surround Floyd in prayer as trainers examine him. Very quiet. #Chargers"

Marty Caswell of The Mighty 1090 Sports Radio "Malcom Floyd lifted on to cart...putting no pressure on right leg. Telesco and Mike McCoy watching closely"

All signs pointing towards Meachem making a big contribution this upcoming season

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Oy vey, Just because Someone moves up on the depth chart (by default) and happen to see more then their fare share of playing time, doesn't mean they're going to have a lot if any contribution to the success of the team.

That would be like if (knock on wood) Rivers went down and everyone was like "well luckily we have Charlie Whitehurst to lead us to victory."

I guarantee Brown, Royal, and Allen will see more playing time this year than Meachem

If Floyd is to miss a lot of time I guarantee they will bring in a vet WR off the street.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    Man, if its an ACL im gonna cry. And it was against Sharece Wright again... Shareece owes us at least 8 interceptions for the injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Meachem needs to be able to CATCH the ball to make a contribution. Something he hasn't proven he can do reliably yet.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    There are absolutely NO SIGNS pointing towards Meachem contributing even remotely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    What are you smoking dude, cause it's gotta be some amazing stuff and I want in.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    LOL - Someone needs to check and see if Meachem has a relative (or an agent) named Steven.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Based off of his recent sample size (i.e. his time with the Chargers - so help me if someone tries to bring up his high school and college careers because the only trump card I need for that argument is Tim MF'ing Tebow), Meachem has shown a greater propensity for contributing for the opposing team than he has for the Chargers. There are at least 3 (and this is just off-hand where I have clear pictures of the plays still fresh in my mind) of Rivers' INT's last season where he either ran the wrong route, didn't run out the route, or didn't execute the catch (one such was a failue to make the grab, but his technique in not positioning his body to wall off the defender was straight up atrocious!).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,454
    The cries for Brandon Lloyd have already begun.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Jerry Rice had a similar 40 time and wasn't fast either. Speed can be negated with other quality aspects like route running.

There are plenty of fast players in the league who suck, and plenty who aren't the fastest who are good.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I do agree, but I do think that the Chargers should have signed him a couple years earlier, basically at the same time the Falcons re-signed Roddy White (Who got 6 years, $50mil) and could have got him probably for less than what White got due to white having more success up to that point.

With that said, every GM has a player or two that they wish they had signed early in the rookie contract. So I can't fault him all that much, and it was all on VJ the last couple years. His attitude, DUI's, and likely bad guidance from his agents, that lead to the negative situation

21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721

• Like Like x 1
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    That's why I stressed the combo...I'm guessing that AJ could've possibly stomached some
    bad behavior, or another massive contract (on top of 2 recent huge paydays for Gates & Rivers)...
    but I believe--based, as you point out, on the little we can know--the two things together
    kept AJ from engaging in a bidding war for VJ's considerable talents.

Weddle, etc. are apples to oranges...that's just the $$$...he's a boy scout...no off-field crap at all.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I'd rather see Butler, Willie, or maybe DePalma make this team before going out to sign Lloyd.

We could also use the roster spot to keep mini-Gronk or vutlure someone from another practice squad....all preferable options to signing that half wit douche who's doing nothing more than hunting for a final contract.

• Agree Agree x 5
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Time to tell Green to start losing that extra weight he put on. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  25. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I think now would be a good time to start experimenting with 3 TE sets.

=)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    When will you live up to the threat in your sig instead of pulling suppositions straight from your ***?

Meachem MAY yet contribute - but there are certainly no stats or events to support that.

27. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    NFL’s best remaining free agents: Kerry Rhodes, Brandon Lloyd still available

WRs

1. Brandon Lloyd
    2. Laurent Robinson
    3. Deion Branch

Others of note: Donald Jones, Brandon Stokley, Randy Moss

Lloyd reportedly caused some headaches in the New England locker room, but he also caught 74 balls last year and 70 the season prior. Concussion issues sidetracked Robinson following a breakout 2011 with the Cowboys. Teams in need might prefer the 25-year-old Jones over a 34-year-old Branch.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/07/nfl-best-remaining-free-agents-brandon-lloyd-kerry-rhodes/

Seyi Ajirotutu anyone?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    For himself and his family, Meachem needs to step up and take responsibility for his lazy sack of shite approach to the Chargers.

29. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +316
    Two words: Vincent Brown.

30. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I am not sold yet on a big impact from him. I am not sure that he will come out at 100%. Plus missing a season of experience is not good when you are going into season 2.

He aint no Robert Meachem. :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1