1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Acee profiles John Spanos... heir to the throne

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,373
    This kid will make you rethink Spanos leadership of Chargers
    By Kevin Acee
    Thursday, January 3, 2013

A few years ago while tagging along on a scouting trip to Texas, I was a passenger in a rental car as John Spanos drove through rush hour traffic while simultaneously checking his directions and talking about the dynamic between his father, brother and himself.

The topic at that moment was John’s counsel to his dad, Chargers President Dean Spanos, that he needed to not be so bothered by outside criticism, that he just needed to do what he thought was right and not worry about making people happy.

As he spoke, the car drifted not quite into another lane, and a nervous driver laid on the horn.

"You can't please all the people all the time," John said without a second’s delay as he corrected his course.

I’m not declaring John’s stewardship will result in the Spanos name supplanting Rooney among dynastic NFL families. We won’t know what kind of decisions he will make until he’s the one making them. But I’ll never forget the poise, maturity and quick wit demonstrated in that moment in Texas. And I contend it says something about why John Spanos is not who you think he is and why he’ll do well when he achieves his life’s mission.

John Spanos has been groomed for much of his life to someday take over the Chargers’ football operations -- working summers at training camp first, shagging balls, in the mailroom, as an errand boy, then a stint with the league and then back to the team as a scout, with time spent beginning at 18 helping negotiate contracts. (His brother, A.G., a year older at 34, did much the same and two years ago took over the Chargers’ day-to-day business operations.)

John believes he is ready now, by the way, as he should. Confidence is the hallmark of a leader. But you can believe him when he says he is still focused on the journey so he can be best prepared when he reaches the destination.

And even as he technically has the title of Director of College Scouting, John’s power in the organization is ever growing. And that influence underwent another revolution this week when A.J. Smith was fired after 10 years as the Chargers’ General Manager.

John Spanos will likely receive a new title after the new G.M. is hired. That hire will come at some point after he participates in a small group of decision makers in hiring a new general manager and head coach.

Now, the prevailing feeling is that John’s presence is a deterrent to potential general manager candidates. It’s a natural assumption and may, in fact, be true. It has long been known the path John is on to assume a role that is sort of a hybrid of his father’s and Smith’s.

“I don’t think it would be at all,” John Spanos said of his presence being a negative. “I think if nothing else, my experience is going to give this team a great chance to succeed. The next G.M. is going to have full say over personnel matters. It’s not like in any way I would be a hindrance to his doing his job. If anything, it would be a benefit. Think about teams with owners who haven’t been around. I’ve been around this team, know the personnel. Why would that be a deterrent? Why wouldn’t it be a positive?”
    I’m telling you, if there is a guy who can pull off nepotism, making it seem not just a good idea but also really cool, John Spanos is that guy.

I told him the other day that he couldn’t possibly argue that if his last name weren’t Spanos he wouldn’t be in position to one day run the football side of his family’s business.

His answer was disarming.

“Perhaps I would concede that,” he said. “But I know this -- and maybe if my last name wasn’t Spanos I woudn’t have the same passion for football that I do -- but I have such a strong passion for football I’d try to work in this business no matter what my last name was.”

Normally, how do you not want to punch someone who begins a sentence with, “Perhaps I would concede ...”? But it was uttered so naturally in this case, I didn’t mind. That’s how cool John Spanos is.

He will surprise you. He will make you rethink your definition of the word Spanos.

For many years now, he has possessed an air of experience that is not at all smug, He’s refined without pretense. Genuine yet reserved.

When you think of the owner of the Chargers also being the man who is running the football operations, don’t think Jerry Jones.

Even when John Spanos does take over the Chargers’ football operations – two, three, four years from now – he will retain a personnel chief (a G.M., in other words) for counsel. And,presumably, so he eventually has someone to fire.

“Anybody who is in a position of authority,” he said, “will tell you the smartest thing you can do is surround yourself with smart and successful people.”

He will soon be in authority, and he will be smart.

2. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +491
    The KGB called it "propaganda".

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,857
    Call it what you will, I don't give a crap so long as the team wins.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,373
    No, the name "propaganda" comes from the Catholic Church. It's way older than the KGB...... 1600's, in fact.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Looked more like puppy love, to me.
    ("Ah, the way my man drives poorly validates all the fantasies I have about his theoretical awesomeness")

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +491
    True.
    The KGB still called it..."propaganda"

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,373
    Kevin Acee is a terrible writer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,373
    Which was ironic, since the Soviet Union reveled in the practice themselves.

So, you liked Acee's "writing", eh? :rolleyes:

9. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +491
    Да....

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,373
    He sucks as a writer, sorry. His "style", and I use that word loosely, is unctious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    The hard on Acee has for little John is starting to look/seem uncomfortable now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Well Kevin's boyfriend AJ left town so his full affections are now on baby boy Spanos. I knew he couldn't resist in writing a romantic article telling us how great the young one is.

Why would Acee be "tagging along" with young John on a scouting trip in Texas??? I don't remember an article about that? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    Hey, Don't blame Acee. He's was just looking around for another a55 to kiss and John's was right there, and, well, the rest is history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    My hope is, that John growing up around and working for the team has taught him more than his Father or Grandfather ever knew about the game. He will eventually take over and lessons learned well while being groomed should serve him well in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Acee needs to secure his inside source by giving a few rim job articles like this every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    If you hate the Spanos clan, then nothing anyone (let alone KA) can say will fix that short of building a long winning franchise (which they did to a degree but held onto AJ/Norv too long). Even if they built themselves into a Rooney or Mara dynasty I imagine alot of you would still complain.

If you like them, this isn't even needed

I like that J. Spanos has worked his way up the ladder, has been given a full education in the arena of the NFL and looks to know what he's talking about. It's too easy to blame him for some bad drafts, as we know it doesn't matter what the scouts say, if the GM wants to do something he'll do it. Had Spanos pushed for AJ to draft Clay Matthews & instead AJ drafts English, who's fault is it?

The truth is that J. Spanos will take over as head of football operations, if you don't like that you should find another team to root for. There's no way that'll change anytime soon. I'll give him a chance because there's no other real option.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Obviously, as a hard core Charger fan, I desperately want this kid to succeed.

But, c'mon Acee!

Trust your instincts: When someone born into wealth and privilege hedges on admitting
    that they're where they are because of their name, yes, their face IS punch-worthy!!

Conveying a "born on 3rd, thinks he hit a triple" attitude (re. “Perhaps I would concede ...”)
    does not become charming or deep merely by being delivered casually,
    as if it's the only perspective one has ever had.
    (I thought Mitt delivered his "47%" line pretty "naturally," but that didn't make me declare him "cool")

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,373
    Agreed... but at least, it shows that John isn't totally delusional, which is a small relief. ;)

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    He knows he's hated because he's a Spanos (which is a disliked owner group in this period), he knows he gets hated because he was born with a leg up (despite working his way throughout the organization) and he knows he needs to succeed to change people's minds. That's a pretty straight forward and clear headed way of seeing his situation, I can at least appreciate it.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,373
    Exactly, he knows he was born into a cushy position, so why deny it. What is promising, is that he didn't just sit on his *** and wait to inherit the team. He worked in the organization to learn the ropes. I'm not sure what more the fans can expect from him.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    I would expect John > Dean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    John > Dean.jpg

23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Bolded is ******* bullshit. Same crap logic used by AJ/Norv/Marty supporters.
    Fans who give a **** about their team will state their opinion. And they'll stick with their team even when they dislike their GM, Coach, 'head of football operations', team owner etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,593
    A coach or a GM can be changed by fan action - see this year. An owner can't. The spanos aren't selling the chargers anytime soon. So if this is that big of a hurdle for you, there's the door my friend. Good luck. Fair warning, with few exceptions fan bases generally don't like their owners. If that's a starting point then enjoy being a steeler or bronco or giants or pats fan

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582
    As someone who agree's with FC I'm going to have his back here, fans who are willing to take it up the *** end up with coaches like Norv Turner for 6 years.

And even if ownership is never going to change, there is nothing wrong with bitching about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ditto.

I will go on the limb to say that the reason the true grit teams don't have these problems is because they have an actual NFL fan base. Owners of these teams know that if they do not attempt to improve the product the community outcry will be tremendous. San Diego... not so much.

I will also say there are many "Charger fans" that turn off the TV or don't watch any other NFL game unless it is the Chargers. Some only pay attention if the Chargers or winning. Call them fair-weather or whatever.

As for telling someone to go find another team, that is BS. That shows me that you have settled for mediocrity or have given up on change. You may be tired of hearing people complain about the team top to bottom but that is their right. We can also say if you don't like to hear people bitch then go over to the "official Chargers message board". We wouldn't do that though. :p

27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I didn't take it as anyone saying that fans don't have the right to b/tch and moan...

but as merely pointing out that--like those who complain about the weather--
    being relentlessly unhappy and whiny about who owns a team is pretty pointless (and a bit tedious to others)

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Like I said about the SD fan base, there are not enough true football fans to make a difference in the community. So yes, probably pointless.

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Well, if you think that the Rooney family would walk away from the Steelers because
    they fell out of favor with the "true football fans" of Pittsburgh, etc., I've got 48 cases of
    Nike Fighting Irish 2012 BCS National Champions hats for sale... :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ha, not walk away but they would make the changes necessary if there was an outcry.