1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Acee: Rivers signs contract extensnion

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 15, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 1m1 minute ago

Philip Rivers has agreed to a contract extension.

ChargersCamp ‏@Chargers 12s13 seconds ago

BREAKING NEWS: We've signed Philip Rivers to a four-year contract extension through 2019.

• Like Like x 2
  2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    any news what it's worth

3. chahjah

chahjah BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +134
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Now get Weddle taken care of...

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Just as many suspected, it wasn't about the money, it was about the years. Rivers wanted a longer deal (5 years) and the Chargers wanted a shorter deal (3 years).... they settled in the middle.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Acee reported the deal is worth $84 million and $65 million guaranteed. Had the sides not worked out a deal, the exclusive franchise tag for 2016 would have been around $25 million, so it was in the team’s interests to get this deal done now for many reasons.

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    What about the beard?

8. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Except it's only $65 million guaranteed out of $84 total. Hard to believe a funny money fourth year was the difference.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We'll see if how much money Rivers got effects Weddle. I like the guy, but he's not half as important as Rivers, and we already put up a bunch of cash for Liuget, Butler, Dunlap, and Franklin.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Big Ben has a 5 year deal with the same amount guaranteed. Who's deal has "funny money"?

11. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Does anyone know how much cap we got left??

12. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    They all do. 3/65 fully guaranteed is better for the player than 4/84 with 65 guaranteed. The Chargers get the extra year, which amounts to a team option, in exchange for upping the guarantee, which is what Phil wanted all along.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    So I guess we're moving past the fact thay so many of you were wrong about the Rivers trade BS and Telesco criticism and going right to analyzing the new contract? Not surprising.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Not really. Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean the team was, or wasn't seriously considering it. Unless an insider spills the beans, we'll never know.

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Haha haha Kevin Acee was soooo wrong about this. After seeing Clemens stink up the place Thursday, no doubt we couldn't go a game without Rivers.

Next Stadium deal and Weddle.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
  17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Great news, I was really worrying about a deal getting done. What a relief!

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    This is a good move on the Bolts part in locking up a Rivers deal, but didn't the Weddle state that if his deadline on a new deal was not met, he'd walk???.

19. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    There certainly seem to be some serious philosophical differences between the team and Weddle that didn't exist with Phil's negotiations. I doubt anything gets done with Weddle.

It's also worth noting that most of our absurb 2016 cap space has now been spent. So even if the team valued Weddle the way he values himself they may not want to allocate such a big chunk of what's left to that one guy.

20. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    this news made my freakin weekend...now the retarded reporters can't say "this could be Rivers last year as a Charger..."ahhh lets start some damn football can we!?!?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Yeah I don't know enough about our cap space/what we have left going forward to intelligently comment. I know we have Keenan, Manti and DJ coming up in a year or two also. That might be the rub more than the guys already signed are the future contracts of the younger guys.

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It depends on how the contract is structured. We could put some of Rivers' "new money" onto this year's cap (we have some $9M unspent). But if we chose not to I would guess our cap space for 2016 will probably in the range of $18-20M available (barring another cap increase), which will make it difficult to pay Weddle what he wants. Probably around $7-$10M a year, if not more.

Then let us not forget the other FAs we have coming up....

TE Antonio Gates - Has said he's not ready to retire.
    TE Ladarius Green
    TE John Phillips
    DE Ricardo Mathews
    OT Joe Barksdale
    HB David Johnson
    CB Patrick Robinson
    S Jahleel Addae

All of these guys are either starters or key contributors.

23. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I don't think any of those guys "break the bank" though, right? I mean enough to preclude a deal with Weddle. Phillips and Johnson are replaceable. I see the other guys as 1-3 million a year guys tops. The exception being Gates, maybe Robinson if he plays well.

24. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    What a sell out, I thought he was holding out as leverage to keep the Chargers in San Diego![\sarcasm]

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Woke up this morning and first thing I saw was the rivers deal inked.

Deffinaty my favorite news of august so far.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Well Gates I think commands $5-7M a year. At his age the contract has to be worth playing for.

Secondly, It's really hard to tell because the price tags for guys like Robinson, Barksdale, Addae, and Green depends heavily on their 2015 performance. They're all going to get a lot of snaps.

Any guys that we just let walk we'd still have to replace via FA or the draft (we only have 6 picks). Guys like Robinson and Barksdale are not irreplaceable, but if you want to avoid downgrading they still cost money to replace.

Just signing Weddle and Gates WILL leave us with less than $10M in cap space. So I fully approve of Telesco taking the wait and see approach, just to see how all those role guys play this year. Weddle isn't starving, he's not going to hold out.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
  28. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    Did anybody actually believe Rivers was going to be traded, especially for the idiotic proposed trades mentioned in the media?

Who is criticizing Telesco for his handling of Rivers? The handling of Rivers is easy--you either sign him, franchise him or get fired--nothing too hard to understand there. But Rivers was never going anywhere with the team having 3 years of immediate control over him.

Where it gets more interesting with Telesco is with regard to Weddle, the player that very clearly should be the team's number one priority at this point. With Rivers signed, the franchise tag is available to be used on Weddle.

Will Telesco get it right and either sign or franchise Weddle or will he blow it and fail to do either? We will see.

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It was always media fabricated BS. Some of you were gullible enough to buy into it. The facts aren't going to change. The Chargers were always going to keep Rivers here long-term.

30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Read back through the threads. Plenty of people on here thought the trade was going to happen, and plenty were critical of Telesco for not getting a deal done sooner.

The Chargers have the same 3 years of immediate control over Weddle that they did over Rivers. So if they deem him worthy of the money, Weddle will be here. Getting this deal done with Rivers was a big deal and Telesco deserves credit for it, but armchair GMs like you are only interested in being critical and explaining how they know so much more than the professionals.