1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ACT II - San Diego still can trade him by the Oct. 19 trade deadline.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Sep 22, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU SAN MARCOS, LAKESIDE, DEL MAR!!!!

You use the line or you lose the line!!

Show me your lightning bolt!!

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I no longer care about VJ.

VJ if you want to play get on the field. Actions speak much louder than words.

That is the last second I will waste on you VJ.

3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Depending on who gets injured between now & then (I'm talking about a big name player on another team) we may even fetch a 1st or more if we're dealing with some desperate team, who thinks they have a chance to make a run this season.

If not, we could simply retain VJ's rights, get him back for our own postseason run (there is no way he sits out the whole season and ends up in the very same boat next year, especially with a potential lockout looming) and then let the chips fall where they may in regards to the new CBA.

4. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I think today was our best hope. AJ crushed that idea. Jackson is going to sit for the season because I HIGHLY doubt we will see a team trade come by the October deadline...

How you like AJ now Jackson? Should of played...

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    OMFG

if you have the ability to do so, listen to XTRA 1390 right now via the web or radio

linky here: XTRA SPORTS 1360 AM click on listen live

the amount of fan butthurt is HILARIOUS

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I imagine the NFLPA is going to start trying to take legal action to move VJ.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Wow the hate coming SD's way is unreal right now. Peter King, other GMs, agents, WOW. I dunno, it has got real ugly. Not sure anyone is a winner now.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't think they can. The Chargers are operating within the parameters of the CBA that was agreed upon by the NFLPA. If the NFLPA did not like it, they should not have agreed to it.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That does not mean they dont have any other leagal options. A report came out at the end of last week stating that the NFLPA was watching the situation cloesly and would take further actions to try and get VJ moved in the event he was not traded (form memory so take with a shaker of salt).

10. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    He would be a fool to do that, he would lose a whole year of eligibility, send yet another red flag to any potential suitors and could still be a RFA under our control next season as well...eventually that "agent" will get tired of supporting him, it's not as if the agent can claim him on his taxes as a dependent or something.

Moral of the story, as Gates & many others have learned the hard way: don't f_ _ k with AJ Smith! :mad2:

11. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    I don't foresee any judge, arbitrator or any other official having the power or authority to tell any sports team that they have to trade one of their restricted free agents, or what they must accept in exchange as fair market value.

VJ both helped & screwed himself - he helped himself by putting up back to back 1,000 yard receiving seasons and being voted to the Pro Bowl, needless to say he screwed himself with his 2nd DUI, and hardline stance as an RFA.

We're holding all of the "face cards", at least for this year and posssibly even next, depending on VJ's late season decisions & any policy changes brought about by a new CBA but the Chargers are exercising their rights agreed to under the current CBA, and it doesn't really matter who has a problem with that.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Just in case anyone has forgotten

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    More ignorant bandwagon fan whining about AJ. I think I'll pass.

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, they can monitor the situation all they want. I'm sure the NFLPA is not happy about it. But they are the ones that agreed to the horrible RFA rules, so it's on them.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Oh man it's so friggin' hilarious

one lady just called in and made the case for VJ to get paid because "women find him sexy"

:icon_rofl:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree. Thought they will have to try something if I remembered the news tidbit correctly. Bottom line this is a self inflicted wound on VJ.

I agree they probably cant. There may be a VJ clause in the next CBA though.

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, if women find him sexy, then that changes things entirely.

You know what else women find sexy? Binge drinking, drunk driving, and topping 100 mph on your commute to the stadium for a playoff game.

I love poor VJ. Now he's trying to play the victim card. He says he just wants to play football, but he could have played this year for 3 mil. Boo hoo.

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup:

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    V Jackoffson has gotten exactly what he asked for. AJ finally gets the franchise on stable ground and is trying to let the player's know that they don't run the ship, they work it.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Great quote is great.

:tup:

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think I was the only fan to predict this would happen.

The prophet is scary good. :icon_banana: :yes:

22. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Shame he went this route. I liked the guy a lot. Stuck 2 VJ jerseys that I'll probably never wear again... Guess they'll go in the back of the closet next to the LT's, Cromartie, Williams, Neal, etc.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    All of you (and you know who you are) who thinks VJ is screwing himself by this manuever - well let me put it this way.

When VJ signs his next contract, how much will he really lose in cash ?

C'mon now.

How much cash really?

Dude will score (cha-ching) is what will happen so long as he stays healthy and out of jail. What VJ loses this year and next year is chump change compared to his next contract.

Bank it.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    From the UT:

Jackson's agents placed the blame squarely at the feet of Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith.

"We had multiple deals in place," said Neil Schwartz, Jackson's agent. "It is our understanding from (other general managers) that the Chargers were unreasonable. More than one general manager referred to A.J. as the 'Lord of No Rings.' "

Smith declined to respond to Schwartz's comments or provide his own input.

The Minnesota Vikings were the leading and most sincere candidates to get Jackson, and they agreed to a one-year deal worth $6 million plus incentives. But the Chargers would not budge off their asking price.

The price is believed to have been a second-round pick in 2011 and a third-rounder in '12. Chargers sources acknowledged Smith did not budge from his asking price and that they did not spend much time on a deal. It was known all along that the Chargers would only trade Jackson on the team's terms.

Also, according to sources, Minnesota continued to increase its offer over the past several days but it never rose to the Chargers' asking price.

The Washington Redskins, Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams were also interested, though on a much lower level than the Vikings. The Detroit Lions also inquired about Jackson but almost immediately pulled out.

NFL.com reported it got a text from Jackson that read:

I just don't understand why (a trade wasn't completed). They obviously think I'm a valuable player by asking for such high trade compensation, but why am i only offered tender salary? My agents and teams interested did everything to make it happen, but this organization stopped it. I just want to play football. It feels unethical and I am disappointed.

Sources said the Seahawks and Rams backed out this week after New York Jets receiver Braylon Edwards was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

I love how schizo these teams are. They make their player acquisition decision based on whether or not another high profile player gets a DUI in the same week they are trying to acquire one with a drinking problem. What a bunch of idiots. Based on VJ's use of the word "unethical," it sounds like he is going to try and file a grievance with the league. Good luck with that.

The reality is that the agents blew this. They had three options this year:

1. Sign the 3 mil tender.
    2. Negotiate a long-term deal with the Chargers
    3. Negotiate a deal with a team willing to give up the tender draft picks or able to meet the Chargers reasonable trade demands.

They did none of these things. They called AJ's bluff. The Bolts have moved on. I think the larger point that AJ is making is that he is a man of his word. He told the agents what he would do, and they chose to act the way they did regardless. He told the other teams what he would accept in a trade and they did not meet his demands. These were not negotiating ploys.

VJ's easily worth a 2011 2nd and a 2012 3rd. If a team does not want him that badly, then that's on VJ and his questionable behavior. I'm guessing AJ does not want to accept a compensatory pick in 2012 because he's concerned that VJ will crash and burn.

25. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I wouldn't bank it if it turns out to be what could possibly be 2 years out of football

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    as long as the Chargers own him he is not going anywhere. He can sit there at home telling everyone how good he is, but unless he has found a second job, he had better find a way to pay back his agent for all the money he was fronted.

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Players have held out for a year and made more money coming back. I forget the dudes name - Redskins lineman I think. Maybe Giants. I just read the article. Maybe a relative of Revis or another holdout this year.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This is where I think the Bolts will tag VJ after the year is over.

If VJ had a $6 mil one year deal in place, he will sign for $11 mil franchise tag - at least it stands to reason he would sign that tender.

His agents want their loans back.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah because teams pay higher wages to people who sit on the couch all season... Solid logic there T-bone...

30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    it might take a couple of years, what if there is no 2011 Season, then how much is he worth?