1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Acting like you have been there before

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Acting like you have been there before speaks volumes

By Tim Sullivan, UNION-TRIBUNE COLUMNIST
    Monday, December 14, 2009

ARLINGTON, Texas — Maybe the best thing that can be said of the San Diego Chargers is that they are growing dull.
    They don’t strike so many self-absorbed poses anymore. They don’t behave like so many rubes at their first rodeo. They’ve cut back on excessive swagger and overflowing arrogance and have lately eluded the trap of thinking themselves the most talented team in pro football.
    They have traded style for substance, hype for hope, buying into Norv Turner’s businesslike boredom as if it were Google’s IPO. The Chargers completed their first visit to Jerry Jones’ spaceship/stadium yesterday with a 20-17 victory over the Dallas Cowboys — their 16th straight December victory — but left the gaudy premises united in understatement.
    “Nobody wins the Super Bowl in December,” linebacker Kevin Burnett said. “That’s the bottom line. You think about the last couple teams that actually won the Super Bowl — they didn’t look like contenders in December.
    “Look at it. The last two were Pittsburgh and the (New York) Giants. You look at that and you go, ‘Wow.’ You just have to stay the course.”
    The recurring theme running through this Chargers season has been that peripheral vision can be counterproductive; that all that really matters is persistent improvement and the task immediately at hand.
    So while next week’s encounter with the Cincinnati Bengals carries significant playoff implications — winning it could ultimately be worth a first-round bye and a second-round home game — that’s a couple of dominos the Chargers are disinclined to discuss.
    If their noses were any nearer the grindstone, they would be performing rhinoplasty.
    “We’ve been through a lot the last four years, ups and downs, and we’ve developed the mentality that it really is one game at a time,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “I don’t know if we did get caught up in (hype) in the past, but it was there more. It was more evident then. (Now), we’re keeping those blinders on.”
    With the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints still unblemished at 13-0, the Chargers’ eight-game winning streak is relatively lacking in resonance. With LaDainian Tomlinson no longer a dominant back and Shawne Merriman reduced to an irregular contributor in pass rush, the Chargers have plainly lost some of their previous dazzle.
    But in its place is a newfound maturity, a palpable toughness and a big-play passing game built around jumbo-sized receivers. These qualities manifested themselves yesterday in a stunning second-quarter goal-line stand, in Rivers’ 272 passing yards (plus the 38 yards Malcom Floyd picked up by drawing a pass-interference penalty), and in the collective tunnel vision of the victors.
    “I like flying low, under the radar,” said linebacker Shaun Phillips, heretofore one of the Chargers’ most demonstrative players. “May the best team win at the end of the day or at the end of the season. We’re just going to continue to go out there and work. Talk to us after Week 16 and we’ll see where we are.”
    (This is the same Shaun Phillips, remember, who was accused of pregame provocation by Denver coach Josh McDaniels. Still, even if Phillips’ sincerity is suspect, he’s been smart enough to take it down a notch to conform to a more methodical group dynamic.)
    Man-for-man, these Chargers are not as spectacular as they were in 2006 or 2007, but they might be steadier and sturdier. If they can reach the playoffs with their key players in one piece, they could be as dangerous as their fans dream.
    Yet since that formula still involves a few variables, Turner and his players refuse to address how best to fill in the blanks.
    Should the Chargers clinch a playoff bye next week, which would require a victory over Cincinnati coupled with losses by Denver and New England, strategic rest would seem to be both wise and welcome. Until then, however, it’s a hypothetical question Turner is determined to avoid.
    “It’s not something we talk about all week,” he said. “We talk about going out and playing at a high level every week and that’s going to be my thing. I know there’s going to be a lot of talk about all that (playoff) stuff, (but) we’re fortunate to have a veteran group of guys who know when that ball’s kicked off, whatever’s been said during the week doesn’t matter.”
    Turner said he did not want to be as “boring as I might sound,” but his team has come too far from its 2-3 start to abandon the week-to-week mantra of its low-key coach.
    If Turner’s management style sometimes suggests an accountant double-checking an audit, it’s a rare coach who can bring his team to an emotional crescendo every Sunday. That said, an NFL team does not often win eight in a row by accident.
    “Winning breeds confidence and winning breeds more winning,” Tomlinson said. “The more you win, the more you have confidence that you’re going to make the plays when it’s time to make the plays and make the stop when it’s time to make the stop. And that’s the way this team has played.”
    To Tomlinson, the Chargers are playing with “blinders on,” sharply focused on their next opponent and largely indifferent to extraneous information.
    If that’s boring, perhaps boring is better.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Beautiful.

Shut up and play indeed.

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    ^^^Yes. I believe this is all we've been asking for.

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Funny that they would tone down the celebrations under Norv, yet celebrated every play under such a hard-nosed disciplinarian like Marty

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    x1,000,000,000

:bolt:

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    As long as they win I don't care how they act.

Reference my sig.

How many times has Tim Sullivan been in the endzone with a football?

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :tup:

bout friggin time.

8. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    AJ and Norv place a high value on team continuity, and consider how little turnover we have experienced over the past 4 years. We have a young, solid core who has played together for a majority of their professional careers, and such a bond breeds accountability.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    There is something different about this team, they are more workman like and seem to be focused. About time they quit jacking their jaws and get down to business. And it took Norv to get them to see the light.

10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Sorry Leo, but this makes me laugh!:lol:

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    2yrs ago everyone had a dance Merriman, Phillips, Cooper, Castillo, and even Olshansky would dance around like a bunch of jackasses after holding the offense to a 1yd gain......nevermind that the 5 previous plays we were getting picked apart, and that we were losing at the time.

It was embarrassing just to watch, espescially when it was more than one player at a time pounding their chest, grabbing their ****, or dancing a jig.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I wasn't embarassed whenever Merriman sacked a QB. I was usually happy to see it.

13. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    YEP...Act like you have been there before!:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: Sorry Leo!

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I was ok with the Lights out dance... IF WE WERE WINNING THE GAME or it was a huge sack, or forced fumble, or something that impacted the game in our favor. But sometimes he'd do it after just knocking down the QB, or making a tackle on 1st down, and sure enough the next play we'd give up a 1st down.

Worst for me was when I saw 3 or 4 or 5 players all doing their little dance at once, it was classless.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    How many sacks do you have in your NFL career?

I rest my case.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    How do you know he didn't actually play in the NFL? :icon_shrug: Maybe Holy Bolt is a bad *** mofo who used to knock *****es out?

You dont really know! :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I'll take my chances. :lol:

18. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Good read. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I noticed that versus Dallas, there really was only one audacious celebratory moment by a Charger that I remember.

That was when Siler sacked Tony Romo on the Cowboys' second possession. He did his Florida Gator "chomp" move.

That was about it.

When LT scored his TD, he didn't even do his "layup" ball flip. He was playing in front of a hundred family and friends including his high school coach (who they showed on TV) too. When Gates scored, there was no jumping and chest bumping in the endzone.

When they had their defining goal line stand, the guys ran off the field with restrained exuberance. It was just about right, and not even close to being over the top. They knew that there was still at least a full half of football remaining.

Even Marques Harris, who we remember as having done those backflips when he made a sack or tackle-for-loss, had a TFL versus the Browns, and didn't do much but get ready for the next play.

20. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Ya know I haven't liked norv and have said as much..... but if he gets us a super bowl I will be one of the first to say I was wrong in doubting him. Even if he only gets us to the big show, after that it's up to the players because that it's on them.:bolt:

21. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    It's definitely maturity among this players. I like the direction in which this team is heading.

Let's just take care of business!!!

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Interesting, so now one must have played pro-football to have an opinion on stupid *** acting the fool on the field of play??? I could never stand Jr. say ouch, His arm pump when he didn't over run the play or go offside was embarrassing to me as a fan. Especially when we were on the losing end of the score board, which was quite often back in the day.

If there is one player I hope never makes into the HOF it's Jr. that dude was decent on a bad football team nothing more.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Vincent Jackson exuberantly mimicked the 1st down signal on one of his big catches.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Please quote where I said this.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I didn't quote you I was just laying something out there. I do believe someone did mention being a pro something or another though. Beat's the hell out of me, besides I'm a loan wolf, I just blurt chit out whether it makes sense or not. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  26. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    lol that makes two of us. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Ok, I was just confused there for a second because that question came out of nowhere.

I was just curious if you make a habit of randomly asking if you're not allowed to have an opinion on something.

28. FATHERKNOWSBEST

FATHERKNOWSBEST BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    When we went 14-2 and lost to the Freaking Brady Bunch, we lost because of several stupid rookie like mistakes.
    It won't happen this time. This is a good group of savvy FOOTBALL PLAYERS!

• Like Like x 3
  29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Welcome to the forum.

30. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I dunno Hex - I gotta say I loved seeing Luis and Norv do the Salsa on the sidelines a couple seasons back :lol: that's not embarassing, that's awesome!

• Like Like x 1