1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Adalius Thomas released

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5136454

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_twisted:

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

4. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Nice. He is a beast, if only the brass could pull the trigger on AT amd or Faneca... I like that we build through the draft and all but in reality these guys are both ready now to make a huge contribution to a championship run.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thomas is just another example of why paying the top FA's huge money is more often than not, a waste of money.

We need to go after the 2nd tier players like we did in 04 when we signed Foley, Godfrey, and Goff. All were impact players, but none were huge money free agents.

Unfortunately, since then, we have been stuck with the 3rd tier players like Burnett and Ian Scott

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Those were money free agents and a big reason for our ressurgence. Foley in particular was an animal...and Godfrey really stabilized the interior of our LB corps and allowed Donnie to freelance and do what he did best. Goff was steady, I have to give him credit.

I still have hopes for Burnett. He was looking really good and then got derailed early with the concussion.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Besides, going after Ian Scott wasn't something we did by design. We had our two NTs go down with injuries. Beggars can't be choosers.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    None of those guys were big money Free agents.

Foley signed for 3 years, $4 mil contract initially, then was signed to a 3 year, $10 mil extension. Neither contract is a big money deal.

Goff was 5 years $13 mil, $4 mil guaranteed

Godfrey was 3 years $2.55 mil

None of those deals are "Big money deals", especially compared to what the top FA's make. They were all 3 2nd tier free agents, and were a huge part in getting this franchise trued around. I just don't get why AJ outright refuses to try to get similar type guys once or twice a year. Instead we get stuck with scrubs like Ian Scott, Gayar, and Boone.

And if Burnett could stay healthy, he could be one of the 2nd tier type guys. Unfortunately, he has been hurt his whole career and there is no reason to believe that will change this year

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We had one NT on the roster, J-Will. Bingham is a 300lb DE, as is OG, Garay, and pretty much everyone else on the line. Scott and TJ were the only guys we had over 310 lbs, other than Martin who was drafted to play DE.

This team has an *** load of DE's and now only 1 NT, and he was the last NT drafted. Not a formula for success

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Here we go again.... :rolleyes:

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just pointing out facts. We run a 3-4, and have only 1 NT on the team, and he was a 5th round draft pick who was passed on by every other team in the NFL.

That is not a formula for running a successful 3-4 defense.

By the way, I am not saying Cam Thomas is a good or bad player, I am just saying having another true NT sized guy to work the position and provide competition would be best for the team. Getting someone like Henderson who can provide Veteran leadership and guidance to Thomas would be best fro Thomas and for the team as a whole

12. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Relax. I meant "money" as is "good"....Not "big money" as in we spent a lot. I am well aware that all of those guys were bargain buys.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Ok, my bad. Misunderstanding.

Back to the point, I don't get why AJ doesn't go after this type of Vet free agent anymore. He goes after the really cheap, probably not going to make an impact, type guys.

Over the last couple year, one or 2 of these 2nd tier type guys may have pushed us over the hump. The top guys like Adailus Thomas or Haynesworth rarely live up to their contract. But the 2nd tier guys who are usually MUCH cheaper, do much more often

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    When did AJ ever go after "this type" of free agent? :icon_huh:

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    In 04 when he signed Goff, Godfrey, and Foley. All were solid veteran players, who made a huge impact on the team without costing a ton.

He also made trades for guys like Roman Oben, McCardell, and Chambers, but hasn't done anything other than bring is scrubs or guys who are always injured the last 3 years years.

It just sucks because this team is so close, and one or 2 quality vets could have put us over the hump.

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    None of those guys were highly touted FAs... and certainly none of them had their own threads before we signed them. They were the same kind of inexpensive and under-the-radar guys that you're criticizing AJ for signing.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, follow the conversation. I never said they were highly touted FA's, actually that was my point. I specifically said getting guys like Thomas and Haynesworth is a waste of money

All of those guys were solid veteran FA's, none had injury issues, none were ex-good players who sucked for a year or 2 prior to being signed, they were all 3 solid veteran free agents. They were all 2nd tier type guys, who were brought in because they were legit NFL starters. He hasn't brought in a single starting quality player to this team since he traded for Chambers 4 years ago, and he was coming off a back to back bad years.

If you think Burnett who has had injury issues his whole career, Garay and Boone who are career backups, and Ian Scott who was on the street because no one wanted the 1st 6 weeks of the season, are in any way solid veteran starter quality players, then you has seriously dillusional.

AJ hasn't brought in anyone of their caliber for several year

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed 100%.

If Cam Thomas is not a type of guy who commands double teaming, this defense will flat out suck ***.

Fans are using a catch phrase of using a "hybrid" 3-4 defense as though that is the answer (by the way there is no such thing as a hybrid 3-4 defense) and hoping that what we have improves by leaps and bounds. Yeah right. We shall see.

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Contradict much?

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thomas may very well be able to take on a double team, but he isn't going to be able to do it all game long. He will need to come out for a breather, and having another legit NT to take his place would do wonders for this team.

Anyone who thinks Garay the career backup, OG the rental car salesman, and Ian Scott the guy who was on the street for the 1st 6 weeks of the season last year, are the answers to play NT, then you need help. Especially since OG, Bingham, and Garay are all right at 300lbs.

OG may end up being a descent player a year or 2 from now, but people need to be realistic on what to expect from the guy they found at a rental car agency, and need to realize that he is no where near big enough to be an effective 3-4 NT

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You have to remember all the dudes he has re-signed. Dielman took less. Gates took less and got suspended one game. Rarely do you see credit for this feat.

A.J. has said he would pull the trigger on a vet who would get us over the top. I have heard it before from him several times in interviews.

A.J. needs 23 wins this year and next year to top Sid Gilman's win record. A.J. will have done it in 9 years versus 11 for Sid.

A.J. is god. :bolt:

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    How is it a contradiction? I have said over and over again that he needs to go after more of the 2nd tier guys which he did in 04, but hasn't since. So how is that a contradiction?

There is a big difference between the big money, big named, waste of money FA's, and the 2nd tier type guys. The guys he has gone after are the 3rd and 4th tier guys like Burnett, Scott, and Boone.

You really need a reading comprehension class

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Everyone road AJ's nuts for getting those deals done. But those things happened 3+ years ago, and he has done squat since.

AJ can say all he wants that he will pull the trigger, fact is, he hasn't. And until he does, what he says is worthless

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That is pretty much my thoughts on the D-Line as well. We had our shot with Jamal, Castillo and Igor. Now it is almost back to square one. We should have never gotten rid of Brandon McKinney. He showed promise. Now we have to keep our fingers crossed. All we have done is added one guy - Cam Thomas. F-that. More is needed.

25. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    The problem is that the difference between a '2nd tier' and '3rd and 4th tier' guy is a matter of whether they're productive or not. If Foley comes in and does nothing you call him '3rd tier,' he comes in and produces and he's a great '2nd tier' pickup. But acting like signing Goff or Godfrey is any different than signing a guy like Burnett or Boone is basing a judgment on hindsight.

You're giving the impression there's been some paradigm shift in AJ's approach to free agency when really he's been a model of consistency.

Thanks for the recommendation though... nice.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just curious, does anyone remember who we kept in place of McKinney? I liked that guy as well, but had the "AJ is great" glasses on so I didn't question it. Now we are at the point where we still need another NT, and he is refusing to do so. I just don't get it

27. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Bingham maybe?

EDIT: McKinney got the boot when Coop came off suspension.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Give the dude props for telling LT and Cro to get the F outta here. :yes: That is recent. I call it addition by subtraction. Same thing on Merriman. I liked the Chris Chambers signing. That dude was nails.

I look at this as though I have one year left to live. What would be needed that is within reason to win the whole thing?

I suspect AJ sees it much the same way. That is the sense I get.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And we kept Derek Smith? What a joke

30. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yeah well we saw how far those second tier vets got us.