1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AFC West Breakdown - Wide Receivers.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 26, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I found these articles ranking out #1 and then our #2 WRs against the rest of the NFL. There ain't much other Chargers news right now, so I'm posting the link. It's worth a read.

AFC West Breakdown - #1 Wide Receiver
    AFC West Breakdown - #2 Wide Receiver

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    That's the way I see it too. :icon_shrug:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Jackson over Chambers?

I can say this...
    Jackson is only 23 (I think) where Chambers will be 30 going into this season. Though Chambers still has some years ahead of him as a great #1, it will be exciting to see just how good Jackson will get.
    When he's 26, he could be one of the best in the business!!!

Though right now... I'd take Chambers at #1.
    Though it seems like they feel the same way but screwed up some how.
    Do they smoke a lot of pot?

4. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    They probably didn't want to have both chargers take up the top spots. So the put the weaker match up on the #1 slot.

Chambers is better than Marshall and Jackson is better than the rest. They just wanted to talk us down.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    VJ goes into major break out mode this year. He's got a ton of talent.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Jackson will benefit from having Joiner coach him this offseason.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    When he's 26-28 he'll be the best in the business!!!

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Where's Kassim?? :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    :tup: I think so too

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I like when RTL said "we're going to laugh at him when he's playing special teams for Atlanta." :lol:

Maybe Miami will let him (occasionally) play #6... AS LONG AS HE'S SPECIAL TEAMS FULL TIME!!!! :lol:

11. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    The only way VJ should be considered #1 over Chambers is by our 07 preseason depth chart.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This will make for an interesting training camp. Chambers is an experienced vet and a known commodity and looks like the ranking receiver, but VJ finally began to emerge last year and if his development continues, there'll be little to choose from between these two guys. When you throw Gates, Davis and Naanee into the mix, then thrown in LT with soupçon of Hester, this offense could be a killer. This without a mention of Parker very possibly being part of the mix, with Chandler developing and Manu hulking in the shadows as a surprise from time to time. The anticipation is killing me.

13. NW Bolt Fan

NW Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Co-sign. Something "clicked" for him late in the season last year... Then he really started putting on a show in the post-season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I didn't see the progress in VJ that you guys did. If anything, the arrival of Chris Chambers showed me that VJ's development is not nearly as far along as people are saying.

CC to me is a true #1, making the tough catches over the middle, coming up with the ball despite tight coverage, etc.

VJ is either wide open, or he turns and jumps for the ball as it hits his stomach. IMO he would be easy to take out of the game plan if the opponent wanted to treat him as a number one option.

15. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    :clap:

16. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'd love some team to do that .... then you'll see a ton of LT running through the box because teams have stacked their zones to stop VJ. Nice.

.... or passes to the other side to a Gates in single man coverage.

17. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    You don't need to stack your zone to stop VJ, just assign your best cover corner to him and he is out of it :yes:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We'll see how Joiner affects the receiving corps. My bet is that everyone takes it up a notch this year. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't think so .....

20. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    one thing is fairly certain - this team now has more weapons on offense than the majority of defenses can handle... the NFL is just not deep enough... throw Naanee and Hestor into the mix and the receiving corp may be the best ever... and yeah, that is a eye-opening statement... we'll see soon...

too bad there's only one ball... I do think Joiner will add his flavor of team concept to the receivers, as he learned in the Coryell offense that each player had a role in every play... and it fits Norv's schemes...

now, if we can only keep PR verticle...

21. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    No, teams just have to put their #1 Corner on him.

That's why calling VJ a #1 receiver is a joke, he's never covered by the other team's best cornerback.

22. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Oh man that's brutal. :icon_rofl: :tup:

23. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    If it's never happened then how would it be true?

How do you know that no team has stuck its #1 CB (in man coverage) on VJ?

Do all teams flip their CB's? Or do others play left and right CB's like SD? Do you know who covered who in every game, every play.

You guys are making assumptions without anything to back it up.

24. NW Bolt Fan

NW Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Isn't that what a wideout is supposed to do? Can't knock the guy because he's open. I agree CC did a better job in traffic than VJ did, but the guy is still learning. Typically wideouts make their strides in year 3- or so the cliche goes... IMO, he started figuring it out late in his 3rd year. And I'm willing to give the guy the beneifit of the doubt, especially considering he's coming from No. Colo. U. And, I'd say his "progress", or lack of is more of an indictment on previous wideout coach Lofton than on Jackson himself. It's a shame if a veteran wideout accquired by your team mid-season is teaching you more than your coach was all along.

25. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't care what anybody says, VJ ain't a #1 receiver, and he isn't better than Chris Chambers.

26. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    VJ lacks great route running and separation ability. He is good when they match him up against smaller guys and he is good at picking apart soft spots in the defense and receiving PR's lobs by shielding the defender with his body and he is pretty good on the fly routes and has good body control along the boundaries. #1 receiver should technically be able to do everything and he can't. He does what he does very well but I don't see him being able to come out a winner if a team puts their best corner on him (ie if he WERE a #1 receiver which is what we are speculating). But hey we will see if he has improved as usually you give someone three years then the next year is the year that you are supposed to know what you have.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    VJ has begun to emerge. The second half of the season, I saw him snatch some tough catches out of the air as he began to use his hands more. A saw him catch one as the outlet on a short slant that really opened my eyes. Chambers is definitely the #1, but VJ is going to be a problem for other teams this year. Last year was his third season and the last half showed it. BTW, Prisco is dissing Cro over at CBS.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10843371

28. NW Bolt Fan

NW Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Time will tell.