1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AFC West Camp Battles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This one is from Pro Football Focus. I guess we can add Franklin into the mix at NT now as well.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/19/training-camp-battles-afc-west/

San Diego Chargers

Position: Nose Tackle

The Players: Antonio Garay and Cam Thomas

The Battle: The Chargers have a few interesting battles to be played out through training camp, but the most interesting one might be the battle for the nose tackle spot. For years they were set at the position with the immovable object of Jammal Williams in the middle, but now they have a pair of players battling to start Week 1. Antonio Garay is the incumbent starter, re-signed in free agency to a modest two-year contract after attracting little significant interest elsewhere. Cam Thomas is the second-year player who has a good chance to unseat the veteran and is the main reason the Chargers didn’t push hard to keep Garay off the market.

Garay isn’t far removed from an excellent season, but his best work is done as a pass rusher where he can use his strength to manhandle offensive linemen out of his way and penetrate into the backfield. By contrast, Thomas is at his best stuffing the run, in a prototypical nose tackle spot in the middle. Though their grades wee not dissimilar last season (+4.0 for Garay, +5.8 for Thomas) the makeup of those grades definitely was. Garay notched a +7.3 grade for his pass rush, despite only three sacks on the season, whereas Thomas earned a +6.2 grade for his run defense.

Thomas is certainly the long-term plan for the Chargers at the position, but the question is how far away is that long-term transition, and could it happen as early as training camp?

The Verdict: The most sensible option for San Diego would be to install Thomas as the starter and give him the two-down run stuffing role that he is best suited for, while keeping Garay fresh for pass-rushing duties in sub-packages, which in today’s NFL will actually earn him more snaps in the long run anyway. Unfortunately, the Chargers seem to be obsessed with having their best players starting on defense regardless of situation, and it may be costing them. Garay moving to that role could also be a boon to the woeful play the Chargers have had at DE for a while now, because he is a legitimate threat inside in those situations. I suspect Garay will keep the starting NT job for a while longer.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Hmmm.......... an outside opinion "piece" I actually agree with....... odd. ;)

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    PFF does a nice job of blending opinion with stats to back up their take.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    What's that smell? Is that what a Lombardi smells like???? or is that just Franklin after a tough practice???

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    I've advocated using Cam on 1st and 2nd and utilizing Garay's quickness on 3rd. Thomas is the better run stuffer, and Garay is better suited as a pass rusher (even if he had less sacks than Cam). Keeping the older guy fresh just makes sense. Thomas should get more snaps at this point...... he can handle it.

Franklin is a question mark, because we have no idea what kind of shape he's even in at this point.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe your upper lip? :p

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    There is a wife joke in here somewhere but I do believe I'll pass. Sometimes the addition of a guy like Franklin, for whatever reason, seems to be the catalyst that brings it all together. I'm at the win at all cost stage, beg, steal, borrow and especially cheat to get this thing done.

• Like Like x 1
  8. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry I can't agree with that the rest I'm up for.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,895
    My luck the Chargers would finally win one and then get caught cheating.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    If ya ain't cheatin'...;)

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,895
    Yeah yeah. I'm not going to get into that. I'm just being cynical and saying with my luck they'd do it and get caught.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Norv isn't a cheater............. is that reflected in his win/loss total? ;)

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I'm more interested in the WR battles. Floyd vs Meachem and Royal vs Brown, I like all four.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +442
    Interesting post considering AJ's comments since the Franklin hire. Really sounds like Cam and Franklin will be the primary players at NT, Garay in emergencies. But Garay will share time (with Liuget) at DE alongside one of these fat boys with Martin/Reyes on the other side.

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Don't forget about Roscoe!

16. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Sadly I think most have:(