1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AFC West Coaches Rankings

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

#71....AFC West Coaches Rankings

Posted on: August 26, 2009 1:34 pm
    By sirbed

If the AFC South is a strong division for head coaches then the AFC West is on paper the division with the worst group of head coaches in the NFL. We have a retread, and former interm coach and two young guys one of which seems to be in over his head. I try to come up with something positive about each coach I've ranked but that might be tough today.

#1 Norv Turner - San Deigo Chargers - Career Record (77-95-1, 4-3 in playoffs)

Wow when Norv Turner is the best coach of the division you know things are rough. Turner who is coaching his third team as a head coach had a losing record with both the Redskins and the Raiders before coming to the Chargers three years ago.

Norv Turner has also been an offensive cordinator with the Cowboys,Dolphins,Chargers and 49ers and it was with the Cowboys where Turner made a name for himself. In fact he's been living off that Cowboys success for a long time now.

Turner is a solid play caller but he's not a strong presence or a leader of men. His teams lack focus and seem unorganized and the Chargers have gotten worse every year he's been there. His Chargers won 11 games his first year and slipped to 8 wins last year. This was enough to win the weak AFC West but was a disappoinment for a team with so much talent.

To me Norv Turner is the perfect example of a guy who is fine as an assistant but isn't cut out to be the head coach and the Chargers have already wasted two years of their peak with this guy and if they don't win big this year it's hard to see him coming back for a fourth year.

#2 Todd Haley - Kansas City Chiefs - 1st Season

Todd Haley never played football at a high level but he does come from a football family as his Dad worked in the Jets front office which is where Haley got his first job. After five years with the Jets he moved on to the Bears and then the Cowboys before landing with the Cardinals.

It was with the Cardinals that Haley became a cordinator but he didn't call the plays until late in his first season in 2007. In 2008 of course the Cardinals made their run to the Super Bowl and Haley went from zero to hero as the relatively unknown coach became a hot commodity for running the Cardinals explosive offense.

Under new GM Scott Pioli the Chiefs hired Haley to be their head coach and the fiery coach has already started to put his stamp on the team. Haley is an unknown as a head coach since he's never done it before and the Chiefs are probably a year or two a way from being competitve but he seems like a guy with a plan.

The combative side of his personality is fine as long as he doesn't go overboard as players are only going to take so much from a guy with such a slim resume. He's proven he can call plays that work now lets see if he can be a leader that takes the Chiefs back to the playoffs.

#3 Tom Cable - Oakland Raiders - Career Record (4-8)

Tom Cable is the head coach of the Oakland Raiders because no established coach would take this job anymore. Cable took over for Lane Kiffin last season and the Raiders went 4-8 which sadly is pretty good for them.

Cable was a long time college offensive coach before getting the head coaching job at Idaho where his teams went 11-35 in four seasons. He came to the NFL in 2006 and to the Raiders in 2007.

The one thing that has been a constant is that teams coached by Cable tend to lose more then they win but Cable seems to keep getting work so someone thinks he knows what he's doing.

In Cable's first camp as Raiders head coach he's been involved in a possible assault as Cable may or may not of broken the jaw of assistant coach Randy Hanson. It was just one more stone on the grave for this once strong franchise that has been the worst team in football since losing the Super Bowl in 2003.

Cable's pain of being the Raiders head coach will be short I'm sure as no one gets to coach the Raiders for more then two years now. I'm sure when Cable gets fired he'll find work as an assistant or maybe in the MMA.

#4 Josh McDaniels - Denver Broncos - 1st season

Josh McDaniels is 33 but he looks like he's 25 and acts like he's 12. For some reason the Broncos decided to fire the best coach in team history and replace him with this wanna be wunderkind who has run off the franchise quarterback and now has the teams best reciever upset and wanting to leave.

I can't for the life of me figure out what Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is thinking here. Doogie McDaniels comes from the Bill Belichick coaching tree which has so far hasn't produced any successful coaches and to top it off our man Doogie seems to think he has it all figured out at age 33.

Listen I'm a Raiders fan so I don't like the Broncos in fact I hate them but I had to respect them under Mike Shanahan as they killed the Raiders and were a team that was stable and seemed to know what they were doing. Now they are in the hands of a coach who may not last until the middle of the season the way he's going.

Of course Doogie is so smart he doesn't need the strong armed Cutler to win no he'll prove everyone wrong by winning with Kyle Orton or Phil Simms' kid, good luck with that.

Hey I could be wrong about all this and McDaniels may turn out to be a great coach but I doubt it as this guys seems to be too arrogant and maybe even too dishonest to be a good head coach in the NFL.

So there you have it the ugliness that is the AFC West coaching ranks. but please remember that ranking this group wasn't easy as only Haley seems like a coach with a future to me. I'll be ranking the NFC East coaches next. Thanks for reading the blog....

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    AFC West

Denver Broncos - Did owner Pat Bowlen make one of the worst mistakes in NFL history getting rid of Mike Shanahan? Is new head coach Josh McDaniels as much of a goofball as he seems? Will McDaniels piss off any other players before even coaching his first game? If or should I say when McDaniels gets fired (my guess is by game 6 the way he's going) will owners stop hiring Bill Belichick disciples?

Kansas City Chiefs - Will new GM Scott Pioli prove that it's only Belichick's former assistant coaches who fail wherever they go not personnel men. Did new head coach Todd Haley really deserve this job just because of what happend in Arizona last season? Can Matt Cassel have success without that great offensive line he had in New England and with receivers that are a little less talented then Randy Moss and Wes Welker?

Oakland Raiders - Can the misery of the last 6 years of 11 loses or more end? Is Tom Cable yet another two years or less bust or can he take the reins of this team? Can JaMarcus Russell play like he did towards the end of last season in his second year as the full time starter? Will Darren McFadden stay healty and be the player so many thought he's be coming out of college.

San Deigo Chargers - Will this team ever live up to the hype of being one of the most talented teams in the NFL? If you think you have a great team why do you have Norv Turner as your head coach? Does LaDainian Tomlinson have any gas left in the tank?

So we kicked the tires of the AFC and soon we'll get the answers. If you liked this post I hope you'll rate it and if you didn't like it please be gentle but either way feel free to leave comments and thanks for reading this post.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    If Turner completely blows it this year, I will be the first person on this forum to join B4L in burning Norv's house down.

IMO all he has to do is NOT **** IT UP.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    If the Chargers don't go to the AFC championship game then we get a new HC. Maybe Ron Riveria, maybe someone else. There a ton of good HC out there.

However, I still would like Norv to retain some position on the team, maybe as OC.

I do think Norv is a decent HC.

5. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Agreed, this year is a bit of a litmus test for Norv.

I'm not a member of the "Superbowl or Fire Everyone!" crowd - I believe that consistency is far more important than rolling the dice with a hiring spree. However, this is shaping up to be a solid year. Everyone's healthy, we're two years removed from Marty, and Norv's philosophy is firmly in power.

If Norv can't post a great season with this group, then it's hard to believe he will ever be able to. This is, of course, assuming no major injuries or other, similar blows.

A Superbowl would be grand... but I'm more interested in consistent, fundamentally sound football.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If Turner turns in a performance that gets him fired, he'll gone. I can't think of a single head coach that was relieved and wasn't either sent packing or promoted up stairs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    looks like the AFC owners set us up for another title this year

• Like Like x 1
  8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    Blue and gold - this is the perfect answer !

...are you sportswriter or book author ?:icon_huh:

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
    I think fans who jump on the "Norv has won less games every year he has been here!" Are to be frank, just looking for something to complain about. Do they actually think a coach is going to ONLY win more games each season? Do they honestly believe that by some mystical means the head coach controls every aspect of their team, opreventing injury, or player distarction from affecting the team?

Does anyone believe that Belicheck in NE will NEVER loose more than one game in a season from here on out? ARE YOU BEING HONEST WITH YOURSELF, or are you just looking for something the cussion your fragile feelings should Norv really be as bad as people want to paint him?

Fact is, the team sucked eggs hard last season. The O was doing their job and the D wasnt in the beginning of the season. At the bye AJ and Norv fired the cancer; Teddy Cottrell. At that point we could have had a truely dismal season, we could have been, and probably should have been about 4-12.

It says something about Norv and his staff that they did not let the team disentigrate. I know some fans will say it is all the players, or how Norv has never had a winning record (until coming here)... But again, that is the myopia speaking in my honest opinion.

Norv has done a lot of things right here. Give credit where credit is due. A lot of Rivers' progression is directly linked to him. Is he perfect? HELLZ no! Show me one coach that is... Get what I am saying?

10. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Never have been a fan of Norv Turner. Wasn't happy when they hired him and still think it is a mistake. With the talent we have on this team I think a Cower, Billick, etc. would have already taken us to a SB.

11. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Really, because out of 15 years Cowher took the Steelers to ONE superbowl win.

Billick was fired by the Ravens due to poor performance. Next your going to say Herm Edwards is a great coach.

Teams that Norv coached

Redskins only recently have reached the record that they had with Norv. This after HOF coach Gibbs took over, as well as half a dozen others.

Raiders have done no better than Norv, and in fact have gotten worst on offense. If you gave Norv the defense of the modern Raiders and his offense they would be over .50

Injuries to all our starters affected us. I really don't see how anyone but the least casual fan would actually say other coaches would of done better.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    Word.

How would Cower have done without Bettis or Ward in his SB run or Big Ben playing on 1 knee?

How would Billick have done with Ray Lewis on the IR and no Jamal Lewis for the playoffs?

• Like Like x 1
  13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    This is what I was going to add

:tup:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Not everyone... just the HC!

If this team does not win at least one Super Bowl... it will be the biggest wasted era in NFL history!!!

All This Talent... NO EXCUSES!!! NONE!!!

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

And I think that not realizing any problems is denial.
    It's great that we made the playoffs last season, but we're DAMN LUCKY that 8-8 was enough!!! Yes, I'll say that we played good in 3 out of the last four games (the win in KC was luck), but Denver losing the last three games before facing us (especially against the Retards) was a gift!!! We had NO control of that.

Had we won 10 games and clinched our division, I'd agree.
    8 wins... dumb luck!!! It's not like we had an extremely difficult schedule either.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We play in an extremely ****** division and have the best talent available. Injuries = Excuses. So we lost Merriman last season. No excuse for going 8-8.

Another thing you left out... respect! Cower and Billick had their players respect. You NEVER saw bickering on the sidelines of their teams!

As for Norv's past... I agree that Raiders don't count. Vince Lombardi couldn't have got that team winning.
    Redskins... well Marty got one year with them after the Norv era and just missed the Playoffs. That was with almost ZERO talent too. When Banks is your starter... you have nothing!!!
    Go to a Redskins forum and ask them how much they loved Norv.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm not sure but I don't think Merriman was the only injured Charger last year. :icon_huh:

WTF?? Can you provide some empirical evidence to support this claim?

don't care about the past.

I hope this year Norv and company break through and bring home the Lombardi. :icon_toast::icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    The problem, is something we have spoken of time and time again in your case. You hate Norv. Your choice, but you reach for ANY and ALL excuses to make Norv out to be a terrible coach, when in fact he has won more post season games as a head coach than any other Charger head coach EVER. He has made changes here to be a better coach, and he has good record in the win loss category while with the Chargers. He has also immensely assisted in Rivers' development.

You talk about games being a gift, or how luck was on their side. What about the games where that was not the case. The teams make their own luck, this is something you REFUSE to acknowledge. Teams who quit, do not get the breaks, because they stop working to create them. Refute that please.

If you want to look at 8 wins and complain, that is your right. I wanted more than 8 wins. But tell me this, and think and be honest before responding. Did the team quit when they were 4-8? DID THEY QUIT? I agree they did not control their own destiny but no one quit. IF they had, I would not be defending them. Now if you agree they did not quit, then I challenge you to show that is not a reflection of the coach.

You talk about Merriman injury being an excuse, but what about the others?
    • LT (Knee/Groin),
    • Pinnock (PUP)
    • Gates (toe),
    • Grennan (IR),
    • Chandler (IR),
    • Castillo (back),
    • Cromartie (Hip),
    • Buster Davis (IR),
    • Hardwick (Foot),
    • Williams (knee),
    • and NcNeil (Neck).

Are they all excuses?

What about team chemistry? Cottrell ruined the defense. They did not trust one another and did not play as a cohesive unit. Is that an excuse? It certainly is something that you consistently over look because it does not back your position. The Offense was still hitting on all cylinders regardless of what was happening. No quit. I know you ignore that, but it is a fact.

You appear to want to ignore that fact and make excuses about why the team sucks, the coach sucks and your are the only honest fan, get down with your bad self.

But try and see the whole picture, not just butt hurt you have about Norv. That is my challenge to you, do you have the testicular fortitude to accept? :lol:

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +899
    The Bills going to four straight Super Bowls and not coming up with a win wouldn't be bigger?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    Thank you, thank you very much!

It looks like the Chargers will enter the 2009 season with a healthy roster, an improvement at Defensive Coordinator and talent on both sides of the ball that are familiar with the schemes. This season should answer a lot of questions.

Norv's regular season record with the Chargers: 19 - 13
    His playoff record with the Chargers: 3 - 2
    2 AFC West division titles

I have watched a lot of bad Charger football over the years, we are getting to the playoffs with this team, We haven't won the the Super Bowl...yet, but we appear to be heading in the right direction. I'm willing to cut Norv a little slack.

Get a grip, people.

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +899
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Concudan again."

Once people are entrenched in a position, all they see are things that validate what they believe and they tend to ignore things that don't.

22. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    You don't believe that firing the HC = Everyone? What in the world makes you think that?

A new head coach usually will bring a new staff in, guys he's comfortable with, guys he wants coaching his defense. Heck, when Norv came in, he did his best to maintain continuity, because that's what AJ and the organization wanted. Still, two short years later, the shift is complete and - for the most part - Norv's got HIS guys in place.

A good organization makes its choice at HC, and STICKS with it. Think about the great organizations in NFL history and you find some of the longest tenured Head Coaches in history as well - Shula, Noll, Landry, etc.

Speaking of Noll, the Steelers are a particularly good example of this. From 1941 to 1968, the Steelers went through 11 head coaches, hiring a new guy approximately every once ever 1.5 years.

Number of playoff appearances in that time? 1. No championships.

Since 1969, the Steelers have had all of THREE head coaches - Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin. That's a new Head Coach every THIRTEEN years, approximately.

Number of playoff appearances in that span? 24. That's TWENTY FOUR!!! That's mind-boggling.

Number of Championships in that span? 6 - more than any other team in NFL History.

The fact is, consistency breeds success, and patience (when it comes to Head Coaches) is often rewarded.

Cleveland didn't have patience with Belichick and let him go. New England saw 5-11 in his first year - don't forget, he had the "Career Loser" stigma at this point - and stuck with him; we all know how that worked out.

Tom Landry didn't win a SINGLE GAME his first year as Head Coach. For four years after that, he only won 5 games TOTAL. In this era of coaching carousels, Landry would have been DONE at this point. Instead, then-Cowboy owner Clint Murchison extended him for 10 years! B4L, fans with your current point of view on Head Coaches must have been livid.

Instead, the Great Innovator - inventor of the 4-3 defense, strength and conditioning programs, and quality control coaches - went on to lead the Cowboys to 5 NFC Championships and 2 Super Bowl wins.

I've already said that I'm taking a close look at Norv this season, and I fully expect his Chargers to do good things this year. I already have said that, if the Chargers tank this season, I will have serious doubts about Norv Turner.

But firing him? As early as you wanted to? I have disagreed with you then and I disagree with you now.

As for "wasted" NFL eras; the early-90's Bills, to me, rise to the top of that heap. Would I still want Marv Levy as HC? You bet your life on it.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    OMG!!! THAT WAS SPECTACULAR!!!! :abq1:

24. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I am not sure winning Superbowls is very dependent on the coach. The recipe for winning multiple SBs is you need a great QB, running back, and an elite receiver along with a tough defensive front 7. Whenever those things are in place people win 2 or 3 at a time regardless of the coach. Dallas with Aikman & company, Montana & company, each of these teams changed coaches mid-dynasty. When you only have some of these elements you can win one.

Is Norv good to enough to coach a SB team? Yes I believe he is based on how well his injury riddled teams have performed in December and the playoffs the last two years. He has had them ready to play. Only problem I have with him is clock management in crucial situations.

Do we have enough defensive fatboys to win the Superbowl, I have my doubts. This stopped us last year and it will likely stop again this year unfortunately. Hopefully our linebacking crew can make up for a thin defensive line. We have enough guns on offense.

25. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    You forget very protective fatboys on offense too. Very key.

26. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully agree. But I think we are in slightly better shape on that side of ball and probably good enough to go to the show.

27. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I have to agree with B4L on one thing :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Norv inherited a great football team. the other coaches named above may or may not have.

But Norv did. Bottom line.

:bolt:

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

How about looking at 8 wins and stating the truth instead of coating it with mounds of sugar? 8 wins in any other division would have left them in the gutter! Face Facts!!!

They didn't quit and Norv had nothing to do with it. Our last four regular season games...
    Raiders 5-11
    Chiefs 2-14 (just barley escaped a season ending loss)
    Bucs 9-7 (got them at the right time)
    Bronkos 7-9 (that organization is a mess)

So we had some other injuries, but a good coach figures ways around it. The one and ONLY thing we can say is "thank God for our ****** division." Cut back on the sugar and taste what you're really eating.

This is Norv's third chance to drive the Lamborghini to the finish line. If he comes up short, will you still be singing his praises?

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I realize what happens under a new HC but it doesn't always work out that way.

Oh, and about your examples... we are NOT a rebuilding team.
    Cleveland was NOT a Super Bowl bound team when Belichick took control.
    Neither were the Cowboys when Landry took control.
    Invalid Comparisons!!!

Oh, and about Levy... I agree that making it there 4 times in a row is impressive. The problem is that they ran into buzz saws.
    Giants... tough loss to swallow
    Redskins... No AFC team stood a chance in Hell.
    Cowboys... see above
    Cowboys... see above
    As good as the Bills were, the NFC Championship teams were waaaaaaaayyyyy better.
    Besides, Norv has done NONE of that... Invalid Comparison!

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It's good to see somebody gets it!!!! :tup:

The way some people in here speak, you'd think that 1-15 season was in 2006.