1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AFC West: Draft Grades

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    AFC West: Broncos gamble on Tebow; Chargers add more talent

By Bucky Brooks | NFL.com
    Analyst

San Diego Chargers: B+

The Chargers cleverly moved around the board to add to their talent-rich roster. San Diego traded up in the first round to nab a franchise running back in Ryan Mathews. The Chargers duplicated the aggressive tactics by moving up to take LB Donald Butler in the third round. After ignoring their glaring hole at nose tackle early, the Chargers addressed the need with the selection of Cam Thomas. General manager A.J. Smith entered the draft hoping to upgrade a few key positions, and executed his plan by getting the players he targeted.

Denver Broncos: B

The Broncos have opened themselves up to criticism by opting to take Demaryius Thomas over Dez Bryant. The move was a little surprising given Thomas’ foot injury and limited experience in the passing game. Coach Josh McDaniels added to the controversy by trading back into the first round to take Tim Tebow despite concerns about the quarterback’s mechanics. While the Broncos picked up good value in the later rounds with the selections of WR Eric Decker and CB Perrish Cox, this draft will ultimately be judged on whether the Tebow to Thomas connection surpasses the output of Jay Cutter and Brandon Marshall in Denver.

Kansas City Chiefs: B

The Chiefs desperately needed to add playmakers on both sides of the ball, and the early stages of the draft netted Kansas City two impact players. Eric Berry has the multi-faceted skill set to emerge as a star in his first season, while Dexter McCluster will play a huge role as a versatile weapon. Additionally, the Chiefs added a dynamic returner in Javier Arenas, who has the ability to flip the field. The selection of Jon Asamoah solidifies the interior of their offensive line. The Chiefs opted for substance over sizzle, which should result in more

Oakland Raiders: B

The Raiders have been roundly criticized for their recent drafts, but Oakland appeared to get it right this time. The selections of Rolando McClain and Lamarr Houston will help shore up the middle of the defense. However, the additions of Bruce Campbell and Jacoby Ford continued the Raiders’ tradition of taking the fastest and most athletic players in the draft. Finally, with the trade for Jason Campbell, the Raiders addressed all of their major needs without making questionable moves that have plagued the franchise of

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817cb26b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    These always crack me up. You can't properly judge a draft class for 3 yrs IMO.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    To guys like Mel Kiper's credit, they seem to know its rediculous. Its just part of what they get paid to do.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    These are meaningless dribble. But if I were to see any legitemacy out of draft grades, the Afc west wouldn't have the same grade all the way down.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think most people, evne those who make them, know its absurd

6. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Too early to tell. I'm just happy we did SOMETHING with our 1st pic.

Hopefully this was a good draft from AJ and he can start to shut up guys like me. :abq2:

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I'm not a huge fan of AJ Smith and even thou I had initial questions over the decisons on this past draft day, on close inspection I believe he deserves some cudos:tup:

The team needed a Running Back...he made sure we got the best projected one available,

We needed a NT and although it was left pretty late IMO, he did pull the trigger on the last of better NTs left in Cam Thomas. If Riveria can light a fire under this guy, he might be a steal.

The Butler pick confused me as I didn't think ILB was a huge priority for us, but looking at this guy closely..he just smells like he could be a beast if given an decent enough opportunity!

Although I thought there were some reaches early on (considering the talent still on the board) I thought the rest of our picks were very good considering our needs and the caliber of players left.

Heres one AJ hater thats prepared to shelve his critizisms for a wee while:lol:

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I remember some people gave the Lions an A in 2005 :lol:
    You know, the year they drafted Mike Williams.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm gonna go ahead and give the following grades:

Raiders: Better
    Chiefs: Same
    Broncos: LOL+
    Chargers: Win

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Let me go on record and say this 2010 draft will be one of our better drafts in recent years. Mathews will be our franchise RB and Butler, Stuckey and Thomas will be big contributors for this team now and in the future. :yes: