1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AFC West offensive all-decade team thoughts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

June 23, 2009 3:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

I wanted to take some time to recognize some players from the AFC West who did not make our all-decade offensive team. There were some great names left off the list (we can only pick 11 players, after all) and some of them came from the AFC West.
    Here are some of the players from the division that didn't quite make the cut:

Tackle: Willie Roaf, Kansas City: Roaf was an upper-echelon player and he will make a Hall of Fame run. But Walter Jones and Jonathan Ogden were simply better this decade, according to the majority of the league insiders we polled.

Guard: Will Shields, Kansas City: Shields, a likely future Hall of Famer, could have easily made this list. As explained in the story, he was very, very close. He was a dominant force on the field and a bright light off of it.

Center: Tom Nalen, Denver: He was the anchor of an undersized, overproductive line. He was mean and nasty on the field and he should get some Hall of Fame consideration.

Tight end: Antonio Gates, San Diego: If it weren't for the standard set by Tony Gonzalez, Gates would seem superhuman. But even with Gonzalez, Gates is a supreme player.

Quarterback: Rich Gannon, Oakland: He didn't play enough in the division to get serious consideration, but he was the catalyst for the glory years the Raiders enjoyed earlier in the decade.

Running back: Larry Johnson, Kansas City: Johnson has been a workhorse and one of the better rushers in the league this decade.

Receiver: Rod Smith, Denver: Smith was the quintessential worker and overachiever. He worked the field like few receivers ever did.
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
    my thoughts: :lol:
  3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Aug 14, 2008
    Gates > Gonzales. As far as reliability, it's a close one. From what I've seen and I've seen a lot of both, I give it to Gates narrowly over Gonzales.

Also, when a Raider named Gannon is considered the best the AFC West has produces, or second best cause I haven't seen the original posting, I think it's pretty awesome we've got Philip Rivers now to impact the whole league.
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    I might expand that gap IMO. Gonzo was on teams where he and the RB were the only real threat.

Gates IMO, has had more quality receivers around him, which in my opinion makes his achievments even more respectable.