1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AFC West Pro Bowl voting update

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Bill Williamson

The NFL has released an update on the fan portion of the Pro Bowl voting process. The fan vote makes up a third of the process along with players' and coaches' votes. The Pro Bowl teams will be announced Dec. 29.

The following is a look at the AFC West players who are currently in the top five at their positions in the fan vote:

Quarterback: Philip Rivers, San Diego, fifth place.

Running back: LaDainian Tomlinson, fifth place.

Tight end: Antonio Gates, San Diego, second place; Zach Miller, Oakland, fifth place.

Fullback: Jacob Hester, San Diego, second place.

Defensive end: Richard Seymour, Oakland, fourth place.

Outside linebacker: Elvis Dumervil, Denver, second place; Shawne Merriman, San Diego, fifth place.

Cornerback: Champ Bailey, Denver, first place; Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland, second place; Antonio Cromartie, San Diego, fourth place.

Strong safety: Brian Dawkins, Denver, second place.

Free safety: Eric Weddle, San Diego, fourth place.

Kick returner: Darren Sproles, San Diego, first place; Eddie Royal, Denver, third place.

Kicker: Nate Kaeding, San Diego, third place; Sebastian Janikowski, Oakland, fifth place.

Punter: Shane Lechler, Oakland, first place; Mike Scifres, San Diego, fourth place.

Special teams: Kassim Osgood, second place, San Diego.

Vote Now !!!

2. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Am I correct in saying that if voting ended today we would have just two pro bowlers based on the fan vote, Sproles and Gates?
    Hester is 2nd for fullback, but I cant recall if they name two FBs to the pro bowl or not, so please confirm

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Rivers in 5th? Un****ingbelievable. He's the AFC's #1 rated passer! He's got the 2nd best team record in the AFC!

People are stupid.

4. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    While that's downright offensive. What is more baffling to me is Troy Polamalu at the top rated SS in the AFC(the list on NFL.com). He's played 5 games and will maybe play one more this season if they're lucky

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    We'll have to hope the players and coaches are smarter than the dumbass fans who voted.

6. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    This is ridiculous. How is Phillip 5th place in the AFC? There's no way that anyone other than Manning should even be considered better than Rivers at this point.

Cromartie's play has improved but he's definitely not the fourth best cornerback in the AFC.

How is Hester the second best fullback in the AFC when he's not even the best fullback on our team?

7. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I hope Jammer makes his way up this list too. This is ridiculous.

8. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +297
    I'm sure(hope) they will be.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Rivers has a neg rep outside of chargerland. Just what it is.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Anyone who thinks this is ridiculous is completely missing the point. This is how it always goes, it's a fcukin' POPULARITY CONTEST when it comes to fan voting. Last time I checked, Philip River's is NOT popular with fans outside the San Diego Chargers fanbase. He will however get in based on the people who actually know a thing or two about football, the coaches and players. I have no doubt.

Don't act surprised, shocked, infuriated, whatever because he's not getting the fan votes. People hate him. Besides, we'll be busy the following week and none of our players will be able to participate anyways.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    im perfectly content with it. although i believe rivers deserves more respect than that by record alone, needless to say THE PRO BOWL IS FOR LOSERS. this team is filled with winners, thats not the bowl we want.

12. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +297
    I think it's ridiculous because it's a popularity contest and people pick a player like Polamalu who's been in 5 games this season. People are stupid(not just because of this obviously).

• Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Manning and Rivers should be a LOCK, a given, a shoe in. Its the 3rd QB thats the question. Brady? Shaub? Palmer? Roethlisberger?

14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I just voted like 20+ times for Rivers.

Fast and easy because you don't have to go through the whole ballot.

16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,698
  17. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Rivers is the 5th QB in the NFL, not just the AFC. This shows where he currently ranks. Ahead of him is Brees, Manning, Brady, and Favre.

It's not a list for just the AFC, just where the AFC West players are currently ranked.

Nate Kaeding should easily make the Pro Bowl based on his points and FG's. He's currently tied for #1 in the NFL for points among kickers.

18. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +297
    Are you sure this is the NFL not just the AFC?

19. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +181
    It sucks that the Chargers aren't getting any love in the fan voting.

So click the **** over to the site and vote.

I cast my bolt ballot... how about you???

20. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    The fans vote is a fan vote. Most people like the players from their own team or those with big names from last season.
    San Diego will be underrated because of its small fanbase.
    Don't cry for it. Just hope for the professional votees.

21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Fifth place? Jesus, I wonder how many times Merriman has voted for himself.... :icon_tease:

22. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It's clearly a popularity contest, you see LT and Merriman there even though they're not having the greatest year, Cromartie there even though he's not even our best CB.

Those 3 are really popular and it shows in the fan voting even though they are having subpar years.

Really outside of SD, and maybe Pit, Rivers isn't very popular. Although Pit fans probably vote for Ben even though there's a lot who love Rivers and wish they had him over Ben.

So pretty much SD has to carry him to the ProBowl and that's a lot to ask for when you know Manning will have 1 spot and Brady probably the other. That just leaves 1 spot.

23. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    It is just the AFC, according to the UT. I thought it was the entire NFL. It's just fan voting, doesn't mean that player is automatically in just because the fans vote him in, Players and coaches know who is up and who is sucking crap.

It will be Manning, Rivers, Brady, and Palmer as the top 4, with Schaub from Houston rounding out the top 5 after the coaches, and players place their votes.

24. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Methinks you're right. He may not be popular, but PR is going to get more love from the coaches and players than any QB save Manning and Brees, the latter of whom he isn't even competing against.

Hooey on the fan voting... PR is in for sure*. :yes:

* - rather, he would be in were he not already committed to participating in the superbowl :bolt:

25. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Even though the ProBowl is a "popularity contest" it is still encouraging to know that players AND coaches ultimately decide the roster.
    Rivers is in. Gates is in. Jackson is in. LT may make it just on the fact that he is still a threat to those whose vote matters. Scifries and Kaeding will probably go as well.
    Fans are stupid. And they vote that way.
    Players and coaches are the votes that I see as important.

Doesn't matter anyway, any of our guys that get voted in will defer because of the prep work needed for the SB.