1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

African American Coaches

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LaDeezie21, Jan 22, 2007.

1. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Last night, after the Colts/Pats game I came to the unfortunate realization that all will be hearing about is the African American Coach Bowl for the next two weeks and I think that it's pretty sad. The thing that bothers me is that I never even put any thought into the fact that both coaches were black. Really I didn't. I had no idea until it was mentioned over and over and over again. It's cool that it's the first time two black coaches have been to the superbowl but I hope that it's not all we hear about. I would hate to reach the pinnacle of my carreer only to hear about "how great a job the Mexican did"....

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172

word.

Too bad they can't be referred to as two great coaches.

3. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    agreed.

4. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Using the race card in any sense of the word, takes away from the accomplishment of the person(s)

Yesterday, the talk of "black head coaches" in the final four was making me uncomfortable ... Although I like both of the coaches mentioned, I never really noticed they were "black". After the hype, I'm kind of glad it's not going to be a "black coach vs. a white coach" in the SB...

I'm trying to make sense of this NFL rule. A team is required to interview a black for any head coaching position. I can understand that the majority of the players are black... but let me tell you... If the guy they wanted was black, he'd be there.. I really don't believe that a black coach would be overlooked in the NFL under any circumstance. Maybe I'm ignorant on this subject... I dunno... :icon_shrug:

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Actually, teams must interview MINORITY applicants.

But I agree with your premise.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I really don't an NFL team is penalized if they don't comply, other than to get nasty grams from Al Sharpton and JJ's Rainbow Coalition.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194

That's it. But a lot of media-people like to pronounce skin items and where you came from.

8. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    In my day we didn't have no Anglo Americans or African Americans, we was all Americans so if a guy was a jig or a ****, it was his own business. ~Archie Bunker

9. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :tup: