1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

After 2007 - ERFA, RFA, UFA

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Chargers contracts page

ERFA after 2007

Cletis Gordon will be an ERFA after the 2007 season.

I'm sure some of the NFLE guys fall into this category (if they make the roster) and maybe some UDFA's that get drafted.

RFA after 2007

Marques Harris will be RFA after the 2007 season.

Robinson, Bingham, Camarillo, Floyd, and Lekkerkerker will all be RFA's after the 2007 season.

Mruczkowski will be an RFA after the 2007 season.

UFA after 2007

D. Florence contract expires after 2007.

M. Turner is under the one year RFA tender (unless traded soon) and will be a UFA after 2007 season.

Jue will be a UFA after 2007 season.

Billy Volek will be a UFA after the 2007 season.

~~~~~~~~~

Goff is under contract through 2008.

Hart is signed through the 2008 season.

I think all that is correct ..... Any others? Mistakes?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Goff's a UFA after 07

3. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Not according to his NFLPA page I linked above.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  5. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
  6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Volek has an Option of $2.2 million for the 2008-09 season so there is a twist in keeping him other than tagging (which would not happen).

Billy Volek: signed 4-year deal thru 2007-2008 season on 3//25/04- + the deal includes an option for the 2008-2009 season worth $2.2M- + he receives base salaries of $1M in 2006, $1.25M in 2007- + he receives a $500,000 roster bonus in March of 2006 and 2007 Agent: Drew Rosenhaus

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    do they still have "good" discussions over there???

:icon_huh:

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    There are some sobering comments and inferences in the article.

The Chargers will not be able to afford to pay the salaries of Rivers, LT, Merriman, Castillo and whomever else rises as the premier players at their position. Ouch.

If anybody can get creative, it would be Ed McGuire to make it happen.

Oh well, we better get 'er done now because somebody will cry "poverty" real soon as suggested and the apple cart gets ruined.

9. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Not the forum, the article .... I don't even read the UT forum. .... actually, I should have worded it like ....

The article brings up valid points so that we can have a good discussion.

10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I do think they'll be able to keep Rivers, LT, Merriman, McNeill and Castillo. The problems will begin with the "lesser" names, but still good players.

D-Flo will be a goner after this season. SD drafted Cro in round one, and extended Jammer, so D-Flo is the odd man out. No way that AJ ties up that much money at CB. Flo's agent is Drew Rosenhaus, and I guarantee that he isn't going to do a discount like Dielman did.

Igor might be another hard one, considering they have to fit the big guys under the cap. I would argue strong to keep Igor, as I don't think we've seen his best yet. He got injured early last year, and IMO, he was ready to "bust out" ..... he's already a fantastic run stuffer, and I do think we will see more penetration from a healthy Igor in the pass rush this year.

SD has to keep doing what they are doing. Draft well, and find a nugget or two each year from the UDFA ranks to develop into solid depth. That's the only way to sustain winning for a long period. Some good players will have to leave. It's the cyclical nature of the salary cap era for a good team. You can't keep everyone.

11. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    ..... a scout.com article:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, I disagree.

The smart money says Florence is gone. The article doesn't mention any specifics of the type of money Florence will be seeking, and doesn't mention Florence's agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Also, Florence himself has said he's decided to test free agency following the season, saying a decision would not be made "until the season's over. Nothing's going to happen until then. I plan to test the waters." That directly contradicts the scout.com speculation that Florence could get extended "before the regular season gets underway." IMO, the chances of Florence coming back to SD in 2008 are very slim.

Turner is gone after this season. I just hope he goes to the NFC.

Jue and Volek are the most likely candidates to return, if both will take contracts that are cap friendly. I doubt either gets extended until some time into the 2007 season, as the team will want to see how Whitehurst does in preseason (can he be a #2 in 2008) and if any of the young safeties - other than Weddle - surpass Jue on the depth chart.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I agree that Florence will be gone after this season.

Hopefully we'll be losing our nickelback (after Jammer and Cro) and not the starting CB.