1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

After 31 years, 'Inside the NFL' ceases production on HBO

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Kwak, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Link

NEW YORK -- "Inside the NFL" is ending its 31-year run on HBO.

Wednesday's season finale will be the studio show's last on the network, HBO announced earlier in the day.

"It has been a terrific franchise," HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said in a release. "But the television landscape has changed quite a bit over the last 30 years and we have to recognize the realities of the business. I'm not sure we had more than one competitor when the show launched in 1977."

Haven't seen that show in 10 years. Won't miss it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    ter 31 years, 'Inside the NFL' ceases production on HBO

Good riddance and all they talk about is themselves anyways.

That and they lick Peter King's sack quite often. :unsure:

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112

I totally used to watch this show as a kid .. but they should have ended this show about 10 years ago. It started to run it's course as ESPN started getting more of a market share.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

I'm sure I won't miss it, but I definitely did still watch it. I would actually TiVo it and skip the Chargers highlights, mostly.

I agree with BDH that the Peter King nutsucking was a bit over the top.

I caught last night's farewell episode and it was good to see all the old clips of the stuff I watched growing up.

NFL Network is the only channel I really need to survive on a daily basis now. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    When it first came out it was da chit, got me a pirate box just to watch it. I haven't viewed it in about 20 years so I wont miss it at all.

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The show was great in the old days, but it really had begun to suck over the last 10 or so years. The problem was it became more about the hosts and their *** grabbing. I think the show could have been saved and returned to being a great show if they fired the entire group, except maybe, and a big maybe, Chris Carter. Then if they brought in some football guys guys to host the show. Also, show freaking highlights from EVERY game, not just the Pats and the Colts or who ever elses nut sack those guys were sucking at the time.

That said, I won't miss the the bastardized show that 'Inside The NFL' became.

Also, Costas sucks ***!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Collinsworth is a royal doofus.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I stopped caring about Inside The NFL a long time ago.

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    It was great when it was first on, as there wasn't ESPN and the NFL Network. Now it's just useless.

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I've only watched this show sporadically, and not much at that, and haven't been impressed since farther back than I can remember.

11. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    No loss for me. I do wish our local cable company didn’t charge an extra premium for the NFL channel!

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    My wife signed up for some special thing a few years ago, and we got HBO for a few months free. I watched "Inside the NFL" just to see how it was as compared to 20+ years ago, and came away hugely disappointed. All it was was a yackfest, with too much "fluff" crap and very little highlights. I think I watched it 3-4 weeks before they showed the Chargers for the first time.

With the NFL Network, I rarely even watch ESPN anymore.

13. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    NFL network:tup:

14. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    NFL Network and Direct Tv Sunday ticket are the third best inventions of all time...right behind sex and electricity.:yes::flag:

15. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    good bye and good riddance to another Charger Hatter show next on the list is the a holes of PTI

16. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :tup::icon_rofl:

17. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Yeah, PTI has no love for the chargers.

This week during all the Belicheat/No Class bassing, Wilborn said LT was right abut the hoodie. He made it a point, but that still does not let them off the hook for all the hate over the years.

18. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    i enjoyed the show. :icon_shrug:

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I was thinking about how long ago I watched it and it was back when Len and Nick were still on the show. One thing that was always a guarantee back then was KC and MIA highlights and Len picking the Chiefs.

ESPN - too much Brady and Manning **** sucking. Its like football does not exist west of the central time zone. NFL live with Wingnut and Steakboy just sucks and Schlereth is a waste of airtime. These guys seldom do any research and seem more like gossip columnists than sports reporters.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The show hasnt been good since Bonacati(sp?) and Dawson left.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    HA HA! :icon_tease:

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I still et to see ALL the games!:lol:

23. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The late 70's and cable was new, and so was HBO. Inside the NFL became a must watch show for me in High School. But, it just got crappy and stale over the years. Like most of these shows, the producers seem to think it's all about the personalities of the talking heads, rather than about the content and quality of the show.

ESPN is just crap. It's all agenda driven, whether it's to promote certain products, or their own shows. They use the hype of the more marketable teams and players to do just that. Also, they go off on tangents to make sure they cross promote their shows - ie, the Rivers/Cutler crap from earlier this season.

Jaworski (and Greg Cosell and Adam Kaplan) have used the ESPN show they do film breakdown to bash Rivers all year. So when Jaworski does the game, he couches every comment about Rivers with a negative (even if its a great throw) and every Cutler throw with a positive ("that was the WR fault" .... "the OL didn't give him enough time" ...) note.

So, when it was apparent that Jaws theory of Rivers suckage was getting owned, ESPN did the next best thing - use their production skills to make Rivers look bad. The players all have come out and said the Donks were talking all game, especially Cutler. Cutler was still running his mouth towards the end of the game. Rivers finally popped off back at him. Yet, every angle was showing Rivers face, and only the back of Cutler's helmet (if he was even shown). The announcers blasted Rivers for yakking at Cutler, even when Rivers is on his own sideline and Cutler is over near the SD sideline for no reason. The national media ran with the angle, and every game had a camera locked onto Rivers to catch even one stray word. It's a complete non-story that is now in the public perception, and it all goes back to Jaws theory of Rivers sucking being incorrect so ESPN made Rivers look bad anyway.

None of these pre-game shows give us news anymore. It's just about which idiot and ex-player can talk louder than the other.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

True. I would have liked to see either a different cast (that's not all about trying to relive their game days) or same cast with less talking.

Though you have to admit that their coverage was awesome!!! I loved the way they got the sound from the field and the side line coverage. That's what kept we watching it!!
    It looks like now you'll have to subscribe to NFL network to get that same coverage AND THAT SUCKS!! :icon_evil:

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    What language are you speaking?!!!:lol:

26. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  27. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings: