1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

After peaking in 2007, NFL attendance steadily has declined

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree with you, except you also don't tailgate alone, which means that, ostensibly, the group is incurring collective costs in order to have their tailgate in the form of tickets/parking (70/20 per person/car), which would not be incurred by having the exact same party at your house. Ultimately, your group is paying 1000 bucks for 15 people to go to the stadium and have a party before the game among strangers, and then drink terrible, overpriced beer and eat overpriced food during the game afterwards while hearing crowdnoise and having a poorer ability to watch the game.

2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    go over to BoltBunker.com, they have a huge party every single game at M4 and all Charger fans are invited. They have their own porta-potty. They plan a meal based on the opponent the chargers are playing that day. They have upwards of a 100 people at some of the games. If you have seen my pictures, then you know what to expect.

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The idea of free-loading at someone else's tailgate is certainly appealing, but I'd feel guilty about doing so, even if I was living in San Diego and not Germany at the moment.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,381
    Of course, if the Chargers do get the new stadium they want, the space for tailgating will be greatly reduced.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Right. Ultimately the group is paying that. Much like the group at a pot luck party is shelling out quite a bit for that party as everyone brings their own food.

I fail to see how this makes it less worthwhile to me when I'm not paying that 1000 bucks. I am, however, paying an extra 100 bucks give or take, so there is something.

You can make the argument of unique added costs without employing rhetorical devices.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    It's not freeloading anymore than your potluck is free loading.

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    You would be welcome. There was a bunch of guys who came over from Europe a few years ago to a home game. We made them feel right at home, and you would be too if you traveled all that way for a Chargers home game. Its those people who show up at every game, those are the ones who would be asked to contribute.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I would be bringing something to the potluck, this "event" appears to be catered by the persons there. SDRH didn't mention any fees.

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    What he said! It's a really great bunch - I typically bring a little something to share (like cookies or dip/chips, etc...) and pitch in some cash to help cover the costs of the bathroom facilities and goodies from the grill. Anyone is welcome (except stinky Raider fans of course, unless they wanna play the part of pinata :sneaky:)

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    I've mentioned multiple times that people bring stuff with them to the tailgates. They're not just coming to it and eating. As H8R said, the only ones that aren't expected to bring stuff are those that travel cross-country (or even from around the globe)

And even despite the fact that I fall into that catagory traveling from Arkansas I still bring a 12 pack of beer or two to share with the tailgate.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    There is nothing like tailgating. NOTHING. No party I have ever been too, and I've been to some really amazing parties, can even compare to the UNIQUE experience that is a pre game/concert tailgater, just as there is no experience quite like being @ the game/show live. Watching on tv is great and all, and yes it can be far more convenient, but it will never be the same as being there in person.

I rarely go to the BT tailgaters anymore, but when I do I am reminded of all the fun times we've had previously and all the cool people I've met from going.

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think you can compare having a football party at your home and watching the game live to listening to music in your home and being at a concert.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,610
    When did I compare that?

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    "...just as there is no experience quite like being @ the game/show live. Watching on tv is great and all, and yes it can be far more convenient, but it will never be the same as being there in person."

I suppose that would have been more in line with comparing going to a concert and watching music videos.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Take out the backslash and "show" and his point still stands.

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

I suppose that ultimately it's a matter of whether you find your interactions with strangers worth the cost of admission and the diminished ability to watch the game, as that seems to be the principle difference between having many people at your home to watch the game vice going there.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Pretty much sums it up.

As I said, it might not be your thing but it's still the inherent difference and why you can't just recreate the scenario in your backyard.

To be quite frank, if my goal was just to drink and eat with my best friends and nobody else a crowded parking lot of 60 to 70 thousand people is the last place I would want to do it.

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I guess that given the way in which I normally interact with people, interacting with random strangers doesn't strike me as a unique or exceptional opportunity.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,610
    I've met some of the best people in my life by interacting with random strangers.

And what I meant was you cannot compare watching a concert live in person than on live on tv.

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    And some of the strangest people in your life by interacting with.... forum folk....

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Uh, I would rather see the game live than watch it on television. Nothing beats being there. Unfortunately I can barely make it to games anymore and have to settle for TV

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Nothing quite like the energy of 60-70k fans all in one place. It's a totally different experience than being at home. Both are super fun, just in different ways. I personally love going into the stadium early and watching warm-ups, for most that's probably pretty boring, just like for some being at home (no matter the company) isn't as fun as being there (and vice versa).

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,610
  24. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +247
    Couldn't have said it better myself...when "the Murph"....oh, sorry...the "Q" is rocking there is just nothing like it! I also enjoy being able to see all of the different things you don't see on TV. I have actually seen Norv just about bust a blood vessel yelling at a player coming to the sidelines after a boneheaded play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

but you would be with a large group of Charger fans. There’s not too many of us, so we have to stick together. I would guarantee it, if you would go to a Chargers home game wearing Charger Colors, you would be accepted like family. Tell the people you are from Germany, and I doubt you would have to buy anything! Then your opinion might change of what it’s like going to a home game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm from San Diego, I've just been living here for the last 2 years. Having been to Chargers' home games, my opinion of the experience likely won't change, especially now that the cost of doing so for me has expanded from paying for myself and wife to now include paying for my daughter.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Man .... obviously the season can't get here soon enough.

28. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +375
    What? Don't you like the Olympics?

[​IMG]

29. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Well the truth is that the housing market was in its tail spin in 2007. People couldn't make house payments and pay for extra fun stuff. This is a stupid article that is trying to make the NFL look like it is losing peeps. More people are going to sports bars, friends houses rather than spending a $100 a week going to a game.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sure .... it's just the silly argument season for football. ;)