1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

After the Draft dust has settled do you feel.....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Stan_The_Man_12, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    That any of little three aka AFC West dwarves...I mean ankle biters...I mean rivals has closed the talent gap with the Chargers??

Have they talent to hang toe to toe with the Chargers all things being equal.

Please keep your answers short and cite relevant productive players that will play a key role in closing said void.

Yes? and if so why? be specific.

No?? and if so why? be speficic.

Stan :rivers17:

2. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    No.
    We have LT, Gates, Merriman, Chambers, McNeil, Dielman, Hardwick, Goff, Jackson, Rivers, Pinnock, Olshansky, Williams, Castillo, Phillips, Cooper, Wilhelm, Jammer, Cromartie, Hart, and Weddle and they don't.

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Chiefs.

Broncos and Raiders did very little damage. Eddie Royal could give our special teams unit fits and Clady and Lichtensteiger should help their o-line out in pass protection. Torain can grind out some tough yards. I feel the Broncos could have done better though and am not worried about the players they drafted other than Eddie Royal as a return man but they had an ok draft.

Raiders just flat out did nothing after drafting McFadden and their o-line isn't good enough for him to have an Adrian Peterson-like effect. McFadden has greasy hands and needs to figure out how to secure the ball.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

whats your take on our draft?

5. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    Pretty much all of it is in the draft thread at llv.

6. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
  7. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
  8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This draft was all about trying to fill a few holes. Fullback/halfback-check, backup halfback-check, nickle cb- check. and o-tackle- possible check. But as norv said in his interview. They're still looking for a backup o-tackle. MAy come from a trade down the line like us getting oben or it might be some o-tackle being let go and we snag him.

You have to remember also. We didn't have alot of good picks.

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Chiefs improved, but they were so depleted in talent they needed a great draft to not be down right awful.

10. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +382
    DeJuan Tribble is going to send either Steve Gregory or **** Gordon packing. Marcus Thomas will at least be on the practice squad and be a luxury/insurance for us. Corey Clark has the tools to surprise and will at least be a backup in the NFL if he works hard. Hester is our backup RB who will get 5-6 carries a game and will be an all-around weapon who will open stuff up for Norv. Cason will start off in the slot and has true #1 CB potential so he's great insurance who can contribute fairly regularly since so many teams are using 3WR+ sets so frequently these days.

It sucks that we are still stuck with Bingham as a pass rusher and Igor as a starting DE but what can you do. Superbowl hopes are ruined if more than one of our defensive linemen go down.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Denver - no, I even have questions about Clady fitting into their system (but their highlight package of him on ESPN's draft showed him holding and cutblocking all over the place).

Oakland - definitely not, typical al davis draft of speed and questionable character

KC - on the upswing for sure, great draft across the board, but they're a year or two from really challenging us

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    WHO? :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

What was his opinions of AJ's previous drafts? :icon_rofl: I'll take MTL, leisure, Shammy, Buck, Boltjolt, Chippies, or any number of "guys" opinions in here that actuallly WATCH CFB over any of these schmucks any day, any time.

Chambers for a #2 was the steal of the draft. Not quite Moss for a #4, but there wasn't a player in the second that would have contributed more than Chambers will over the next 4-5 years.

What a douche. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    For the Chargers I am a bit confussed. :icon_huh: We did not help our D-line what so ever. We as well did not get until the 7th a O-lineman.

Denver did not do all that much at all. We will all se what goes on with Clady and what Royal can do.

KC has a good team being developed with these picks. Glen Dorsey, Branden Albert and Brandon Flowers.

Oakland is again in the last place slot for another year. McFadden will not do anything because there is no O-line to open holes for him.

14. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    I think he will fit right in. Denver is notorious for cut blocking.

15. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    I'm not saying I agree with the guy. I would rate us a C+.
    If we would of got Balmer I would of been a lot happier. AJ going after Cason tells me he is working on a way to shutdown New England's passing game. :icon_shrug:

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    If you add Chambers, Weddle and Oliver to this draft then I'm inclined to say A- but most of that goes to Weddle and Chambers

This on its own is a C; I still have questions about how much we gave up for Hester, why we waited so long to address the line and why we reached on Marcus Thomas.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    I am stoked about the guys we got. Especially Hester. He's gonna be AWESOME.

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Bro, I can't wait for you to see this kid BALL. He's the real deal. :yes:

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I know that this is going to seem racist.

Last year we were able to get Weddle with a trade up He is White.

We were this year able to get with a trade up for Hester and again he is white.

I am now wondering if AJ likes white players to trade up to draft them.

Just a thought there. :icon_shrug:

20. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    The Patriots and Colts have the highest percentage of white players in the NFL.

So what? Does that really mean anything?

Also, AJ has two players he drafted even though they both were coming off of serious knee injuries and they were both black. I wonder if AJ thinks blacks heal better?

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    I have. I watch alot of SEC + PAC 10 cfb. I am extremely happy with our draft class for 2 reasons, Cason and Hester. The rest is gravy.

AJ is the king of draft day.

22. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    From all the press conferences it really sounds like Norv and A.j. really want to try and find another good o-tackle.

IF truth be told. The chargers have more quality weapons on offense than probably any team ever. But to make it all work they need the o-line to be solid and have good backups to make norvs system work. Which it sounds like they are aware of.

23. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +346
    I think this draft was a huge success, as some of you know I live in South Carolina and primarily get SEC and ACC football...

#1) Jacob Hester is a stud and is going to be huge for this team....this kid plays with alot of intensity and gets alot of tough yards.

#2) Think about it the only thing that separated us and a Super Bowl appearance was the Patriots...We needed a 3rd CB as I have been saying all along that can come in and check a guy like Welker...5 years ago our secondary was the laughing stock of the NFL and now we have the best in the NFL!

#3) Corey Clark has skills and very well could be a diamond in the rough, This kid has great size, and quickness and alot of upside....

#4) Tribble will push out probably Gregory as he had a bad combine, but was very productive at BC and might be another guy that can come in and play at a high level!

24. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Damm I draft sucked:tdown:

25. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

What??? :icon_huh:

26. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    LMAO haha wtf hahaha :lol: I completely agree Turtle:tup:

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This guy wouldn't make a decent pivot man in a circle jerk. While we had few picks, we also had no critical needs, but we filled two potential needs in our first two picks. KC has as many needs as they had picks. They probably filled need with their first three picks. The rest of their draft is on the three year curve, but I'm not overly impressed. I was thinking that I had sold them short by saying they couldn't effectively use all their picks after their first three looked so good, but I don't see much real help after that in improving the team after those initial picks. Cory Lichtensteiger will not match up with Jamal for Denver until Jamal is ready to retire. Royal will be a good returner, but is a small, one dimensional receiver who could get whacked trying to block (I say trying to block) and who will have trouble getting off the line of scrimmage. Oakland got an excellent running back but Arman Shields looks just great in shorts when no one is whacking his wienie. McFadden will take a beating until the Oakland O Line becomes more than a punch line. Being in Oakland will shorten his career.

28. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    agree

29. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Unlike some people here I didn't want Balmer, sorry I just don't think he's that good, I could be wrong though. Love Cason though. Draft gets a B from me just because of that pick.

30. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    now I miss Trumpy:icon_sad: