1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

After the Draft dust has settled do you feel.....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Stan_The_Man_12, Apr 27, 2008.

1. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    To clarify what I mean is that there can be either a coincidence that AJ picked via the Draft from last year and this year with trading up in the draft 2 White players or that AJ likes white players a little bit more that he AJ is willing to trade up to get them. That is where I meant about being racist. I probably confused you more than helped out.

At least you Parker fan understood what I was meaning.

I totally agree with you 100%. We need Trumpy back. :yes:

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    AJ's drafted black players in the first round those 2 years, I would say a first rounder has more value than trading up in the 2nd or trading for a 3rd. I don't really get the point though, I doubt AJ goes "wow this guy is great, AND white we must get him now"

• Like Like x 1
  3. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    :tup: Agreed, I have been saying that forever. Balmer was a late bloomer and showed signs of promise based on THIS season. But before that he didnt really live up to his hype coming out of HS. He wouldnt have fit here, he is a tweener who would have been a 3-4 DE and DT in a 4-3!! Nice post, rep for you!

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    Wonderful.

There's always somebody looking for that kind of thing, someone counting white people and black people, and trying to make everything some kind of racial issue.

Just a thought, maybe A.J. just thinks they are both good football players? :icon_shrug:

5. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +905
    Unbelievable!

He trades up for two white guys in two years, and suddenly A.J. Smith is wearing a sheet.

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I understand. It was and is my very STUPID thought that I was thinking that AJ was by coincidence drafting 2 white guys from the same method.

I was thinking that there could be a racial thing going on. I know it is very idiotic but it was in my head.

So everyone can still flame me for my thoughts on AJ.

It is just a coincidence that is all.

7. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +905
    It was never in my head, but I don't really pay attention to race as much as a lot of other people seem to. While I was watching the draft, all I was thinking about was whether or not a guy was a good player, I don't recall thinking about what color anybody was.

A.J. has drafted a lot of players or various races. I seriously doubt that race plays ANY part in whether or not A.J. Smith and Buddy Nix think a guy is a player. I think even suggesting it based on two freaking picks is ridiculous, and irresponsible.

8. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    It's a joke.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    I feel good about Cason and Hester. Wish there would have been some OL or DTs with value when we picked later, but those spots were depleted by the time our 5th rounder came up.

Good draft when you throw in Chambers value as a 2nd round pick.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    KC had 3 very good picks, the rest are in the wait-and-see range. Lots of needs, still no real competition to us this year.

Denver got Clady, who I would grade out as a good fit for them. Still, nothing spectacular going on there.

Oakland followed the mocks & went with the speed guy. McFadden isn't a 3-down back, so it will be RBBC for them. Gallery & Co. just may ruin McFadden before he even gets a chance to show much.

Cason I like, Hester is gonna be a warrior, the rest are gravy & may or may not end up cut or on the PS.

No worries regarding our AFC West opponents for a couple of years yet, IMO.

11. hoff529

hoff529 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +20
    :tup:I do think the Chiefs got better, but the followed by the Broncos, and then we can watch Oakland ruin the careers of the 2 best offensive talents in back to back drafts.

I think the thing with the Chiefs is there moral has to of gone up. If your a player you can deffinately tell that team is making a serious push to get better. As far as talent goes ? Add Dorsey, subtract Allen ? They are better, but shouldn't be an issue till to late in the season. Next year will be different.

Broncos ? Shanahan is toast after this year. He can go work for his boy in Oakland after they fire Kippin.:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  12. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151

Shoot, it's better than drafting blue people and those guys with those weird third arm things coming out of their knees. I'd take white guys over them any day.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Can we get some of those Green Orion girls to try out for the Charger Girls? :icon_shrug:

Also, a few Klingon LBs would do well.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Uh.....The Chargers are the Utah Jazz of the NFL???? :icon_shrug:

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think grading drafts at this point is an exercise in futility. That being said, I get tired of people devaluing drafts, like is inevitably being done with the Chargers by furreners in the MSSM, because they had few picks. We filled two out of three of our needs with our first two picks by getting players who will contribute the way we need them to immediately. The others are a crap shoot that all second day guys are to one extent or another. If Cason becomes our nickel back, or pushes one of the other players to take the position and if Hester becomes a decent replacement for MT, then this draft becomes far more than merely a B, since Oliver, Chambers and Weddle have to be included. If the other draftees make the club, then you have to grade this draft as among the best of any this year, but we won't know that for a while. Chambers and Weddle give this draft a leg up. Oliver probably will. If DeJuan Tribble isn't what we hope, we can trade him to the Klingons-where he'll be no Tribble at all.

16. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    After the dust settled our draft still sucked

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    You have Parker Fan agreeing with you, doesn't that tell you something? :icon_shrug: :icon_tease:

As for your original take, maybe other GM don't think as highly of a "smallish" white safety or a white RB. :icon_shrug:

I think there's still a race that goes along with a prototype of a player at a certain position in most sports (not my opinion, more like what I think others believe)

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Any GM who drafts ethnic will not be working for long, unless the owner is say Richard Scaife.

19. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I think Turtle onto something........ Our Center Nick WHITE, weak kick WHITE, Punter WHITE, QB's WHITE, Jeremly Clary WHITE, Goff redneck, Matt Whilhem WHITE, Hester WHITE, Scott Chandler WHITE and there tons more... Right Turtle:tup:

20. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Don't forget....Tim Dwight!

Traded to the Chargers for a black QB. :icon_tease:

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Traded a black qb to miami for a white one too.

I think TT is onto something.

22. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    What a racist S.O.B.! Someone should report him!

23. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I think you're right! :icon_rofl:

Dan Fouts over James Harris?

Rickey Young for Ed White! :lol:

Cutting Neal and McCree for Weddle and Hester? :yes:

:icon_tease:

24. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    LMAO wtf is next!

25. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    It's still early and I haven't really started drinking,yet! :icon_rofl:

26. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I know that I think that I might have started something here with the white Player that the Chargers have and here is the list that I know of that the Chargers have that are White:

Mike Scifres
    Charlie Whitehurst
    Billy Volek
    Nate Keading
    Philip Rivers
    Jacob Hester
    Steve Gregory
    Eric Weddle
    David Binn
    Matt Wilhelm
    Derek Smith
    Nick Hardwick
    Scott Mruczkowski
    Cory Withrow
    Jeromey Clary
    Kris Deilman
    Corey Clark
    Mike Goff
    Scott Chandler
    Ryon Bingham
    Igor Olshansky

Eric Parker is my ??? mark because I can not tell what his race is.

Now that is a lot of White Players on the Chargers Roster. This is not including who we gained with the UDFA's, Practice Squad and IR.

Just my opinion I think that the Charger might have one of the most white players for a team that the NFL has.

That is my thoughts on our white players that we have.

27. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I understand that until we allow a couple of seasons to pass it is impossible to accurately measure any draft . However most of us who follow the draft rather closely do have opinions .

I realy like the Chiefs draft , I think that they helped themselves a lot and I do think they will be a improved club maybe not so much in 2008 but in 2009 and 2010.

1) Glenn Dorsey DT LSU is a heak of a player and he will help the middle of their defense a ton. He could have been the 1st player selected in this draft so he in my book was a real good value with the 5 selection in the 1st round.

2) Branden Albert OL at 15# was a player that they were also looking at with the 5th pick until Dorsey fell into their laps. Talk about winning the lottery all the chips were realy falling for GM Carl Perterson.

3) Jamaal Charles RB falls to the m in the 3rd , Charles is a young speedster that a lot of teams had graded as a 1st round talent. I watched him play and in my mind he is a smaller LT clone, he can burn too.

4) DaJuan Morgan S N.C. State should help their pass defense some rated him as the best safety in the draft.

In the 6 th round they drafted Barry Richardson OT CLEMSON who if they can coach him up as the feet and the size to be a pretty good OT .

They drafted a a slew of other players who I have not seen on first blush they look like they had the best draft in the league this season .

I liked the Ravens draft , I almost always love their drafts. I thought their trade back was brillient they got Joe Flacco who was the QB that would have created a trade back opratunity for the Bolts if Ozzie Newsome had not pulled off his slick little move.

Ray Rice RB will help them a ton with the run game and he was pretty good value in round 2#. Tom Zbikowski in round 3# will be a good baller. Oniel Cousins OG (3#) and Allen Patrick RB (7#) , Patrick was Adrian Petersons back up and a pretty good RB in his own right.

I like the Bears draft Chris Williams OT will help both the run game and the passing game. He has a ton of upside and looked to me like he could step in day one. Matt Forte RB TULANE will be a better back than Benson and should take that job before the half way point of the season if they give him some touchs.

Marcus Harrison DT if he can stay out of trouble is a real stud. He should help the DL big time. He would have gone higher if he had less off field issues. Marcus Monk WR will help them in the red zone kid has real good hands and super size, hard worker .

Cincinnati Bengals 2008 Picks nabbed some real value WR in Jerome Simpson WR ( largest hands in the draft) and Andre Caldwell WR Anthony Collins OT KANSAS was one of the top OL in the 2nd group and should add depth and perhaps start in 3 or 4 years. Corey Lynch S is a kid who is always making plays the fact that he played at APPALACHIAN ST pulled him down. Mario Urrutia WR WR is raw but he could devlope.

I liked the Saints draft a lot Sedrick Ellis was right up their with Dorsey in my book. Tracy Porter CB will help them a load he has real good short area quickness and has 1st round talent in my book.
    Carl Nicks OT if he can grow up as a chance to have a great career. He could be the steal of the draft real bust or boom type. Adrian Arrington WR could make the team.

Miami Dolphins I thought they were conservative with their 1st pick Jake Long but he will be solid if not spectacular at LOT. Phillip Merling was a kid based on pass rushing quickness a lot of boards had mid round in the 1st they landed with the 1st pick round 2#. Chad Henne will compete at QB for them. He comes over in the trade to S.D. for Chambers. Funny how manny QB we are linked to over the years via trade. ( Vick , Manning , ext...)

Jalen Parmele RB and Donald Thomas OG could be finds.

What was the question???

• Like Like x 1