1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

After yesterday performance, this is how i want the draft to go

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Dec 2, 2013.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    1.Darqueze Dennard CB, Michigan State, Very physical Cornerback, recognizes plays faster than the WR most of the time.
    2. Jordan Matthews WR, Vanderbuilt- Sure handed guy creates space, would help Allen get open easier
    3.James Hurst OT, North Carolina- He's a big physical specimen who could hold down the Left side, he doesnt have the quickest feet, and he might rise in the draft if he has a good combine but right now hes a 3-4 round pick
    4.Jeremiah Attaochu OLB, Georgia Tech- Turn the tape on, long arms high motor, gets to the QB, he could fit our scheme nice and complement Melvin ingram
    5.Silas redd RB USC- great strength, good lateral quickness could be a steal in the draft
    6.Bruce Gaston DT, Purdue- Big dude, should clogs holes very nice, not to much to say on this dude but hes a tank
    7. Allen Darby, SS Arizona state- this is a filler pick dont know to much about him, but a SS is a SS

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +235
    Nope, on CB in the first year. Rookie CB's never transfer over well in there first year.

We got hope we fall in Top 10 and hope some of the QB needy teams draft crazy for QB's. That'll most likely drop a very good player to us. BPA outside of QB, TE, and RB in the first round is a must.

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    i wouldnt say rookie Cb's never trasfer over the first year, its happened throughout history with special talent, Deion sanders, darrell green, Patrick peterson, Darelle revis, anotonio cromartie. Its possible but unlikely and we cant fall into the top ten, those teams are to far gone

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Don't totally agree on that statement with CB's, but recent draftees at CB would support that theory. Takes time to adjust to the game.

But, I think we need a better push from our front 7 (NT; OLB). We might go 1st and 2nd on them. I'd still give Derek Cox another chance, so I'd save CB for the 3rd or so. We might dip into FA on that.

But who knows, still too early.

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    just basing stuff off what ive seen so far this season. im high on dennard

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I don't like painting us into boxes. That said, my preference would be that two of the first 3 picks were used to select the best available NT and OLB prospect on the board at the given time, the other being used for BPA at any area that could be viewed as a need either for 2014 or 2015 - that could be C, OG, OT, CB, WR, S (I wouldn't limit it to pure FS or SS - in fact, the days of the pure in-the-box safety have gone the way of the dinosaur so if they guy can't cover he shouldn't even be looked at), 5-Tech (yes, even with Liuget and Reyes because, realistically, we're not going to be in a cap-position to retain both in back to back years without robbing Peter to pay for Paul, so to speak in regards to other positions), even ILB if a long-term deal can't be worked out with Butler, possibly even RB (though the preference would obviously be not to use a 1st there or even really a 2nd).

Pass-rush and trenches comes at a premium over skill-positions (and this includes DB's). Honestly, in the modern NFL, I'd value quality, high-ceiling safeties over CB's that aren't elite-ceiling multi-tool prospects (the like of Patrick Peterson). Said it many times on here, effective pass-rush masks average CB's; if you have a quality pass-rush and a pair of quality safeties, you don't need anything better than average CB's - yes, certain players like Calvin Johnson are going to get theirs against you, but they'll do that against top CB's as well - but across the board on defense you'll limit everyone else but that guy and make the opposition one dimensional in the passing game, thus much more predictable and easier to defend. In short, I'd take Haha Clinton-Dix over any CB conceivably in this draft class on grounds of BPA.

Day 3, I'd carpet-bomb the CB position with at least 2 picks in rounds 5-7, and at least 3-5 UDFA's, putting an emphasis on getting guys with high football IQ's and clean technique (specifically in the hips and footwork/backpedal), with the aim of getting 2 long-term players for the defensive unit (and hopefully 1 ST guy) out of 5-7 rookies; that's asking for a roughly 33% success-rate which really isn't that unreasonable, assuming we provide them with competent positional coaching (which I'm really not convinced they'll get out of Milus, but that's a tale for a different day).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    Based on what I'm seeing this year the FIRST player I want is either Taylor Lewan, so Fluker can be moved back to where he plays best, or (frankly this is my top choice) Louis Nix. I can't stand how Thomas is being shoved off the ball without a problem. The 3-4 doesn't run without a strong nose tackle and outside of Ryan Carrethers from Arkansas St or Zach Kerr from Delaware, I see no real nose tackles in this draft.

Not to mention this is such a ridiculously deep draft at CB I'd be happy grabbing someone else in the second or third round. Dennard is my top choice at CB but NT is of far greater need right now

8. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    Lewan got bullied last year, he has slow feet and plays off brute strength. I wouldnt mind Louis nix III either, but he'll be gone by the time we pick. the only way we dont take Dennard is if someone falls and we cant pass on them.

9. charger1993

Ratings:
    +121
    A pass rush guy i got a crush on but i doubt we'll draft him is kony ealy out of missouri

10. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    CB is deep in numbers but there's a big dropoff after Roby & Ifo.

You should offer your opinions regarding the draft to that well-known repository of crap WalterFootball.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Well, yes and no. There aren't a ton of high-ceiling, scheme diverse corners in this draft class - there are a good amount of guys who have high ceilings if played in the correct scheme that plays to their strengths and doesn't put them in a position where their weaknesses leave them prone. Being perfectly fair to the guy who is the best individual corner in the game right now, Richard Sherman isn't really all that scheme diverse. He can play zone, but it's far from his strength. Same can be said (and seen on the field this season) of Revis. Even IE-O isn't terribly scheme diverse - he could get there, as he reminds me a decent amount of Stephon Gilmore who I had similar concerns about when he was a prospect. Right now Jason Verrett is the superior CB prospect in the class, and even he's not going to be everyone's cup of tea because he doesn't have the height/length that's in vogue in the league right now.

Shutdown corners are like elite #1 WR's - they're luxuries: Nice to have, but when all is said and done not a necessity to consistently win and can often turn into crutches.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    I have my doubts with Kony. I was big on him and I like his pedigree (his DL coach is one of the better ones in college football), but I think the easiest way of describing why I've soured on him is that he lacks killer instinct. There's a major lack of consistency in his snap-reaction and initial burst that I'm not entirely convinced can be solved by just shedding 10 pounds and dropping down in to the low 260's. When I watch him I see just as many instances where he shows as good first step as there are where he just stands straight up out of his stance, gives up his chest, and is easily neutralized. That speaks to motor and motivation - not something you want to be concerned about from your primary edge-rushing threat, especially when said guy still has a lot of technical issues to iron out (handwork being the most glaring, but he also lacks the kind of physical strength I'd be expecting to see from a 275 lb. DE, actually wrapping and tackling).

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Again, Nix is coming off of knee surgery and at the very least will miss post-season games (Senior Bowl, etc.) and he's even a threat to miss the combine. Throw in that he is no guarantee to translate to every 4-3 scheme and there's a fair chance he slides out of the Top 10, particularly if 3 QB's go in there (which is likely) and 2 WR's (at least 1 is a given, 2 is possible if Evans doesn't run a really ugly time).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AusCharged

AusCharged BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Who are the non 3-4 teams ahead of us in round one this year LBC?

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Yet to be seen how we finished the season, but:
    - At least one of Baltimore/Miami (I believe based off a strength of schedule tie-breaker)
    - St. Louis (twice)
    - Minnesota
    - Oakland
    - Dallas
    - Buffalo (though their DL is stacked already)
    - Tennessee
    - Jacksonville
    - Atlanta
    - Tampa Bay
    - NY Giants
    - Detroit (potentially again, though their DL is also stacked)

Sounds like Rex is out in New York, so it's possible that a currently non 3-4 team picks him up to flip their defense into a 3-4 (he'll be in high demand as a coordinator - and frankly even if our FO was willing to part with Pagano, I can't see Spanos doing the necessary loosening of the purse-strings to bring Rex here as he'll command coin).

16. AusCharged

AusCharged BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Thx LBC.

You never know with Spanos. I don't think anyone thought he'd ever part with Norv and AJ. Perhaps TT and MM can influence positive change at ownership level. Then again, I agree that I think it's too early to expect change in the coaching staff. One can live in hope though.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    To be honest, the only change I feel is truly necessary (swapping out Pagano could be beneficial, but there aren't as many proven, available options) is replacing Ron Meeks and Joe Barry (and Barry may not be as necessary, but he doesn't exactly have the greatest track record himself) as secondary and linebacking coaches. There are and will be more better options available at those positions than what we've got - and unless we extended them when McCoy was hired, they should be on the back-ends or ends of their contracts anyway (since position coaches typically operate on a 2-3 year basis contract-to-contract).