1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Agent: 4-5 teams have called about Vincent Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Aug 25, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Agent: 4-5 teams have called about Vincent Jackson

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 25, 2010 7:10 PM ET
    We've written recently that any team interested in acquiring Vincent Jackson should do it before September 4 or not bother. Jackson's agents, however, say the Chargers are limiting the Jackson's options to move.

"We never asked for a trade until [Tuesday]. Prior to that, the Chargers gave Seattle permission to talk to us," agent Neil Schwartz told Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports. "After that became public last week, four or five teams called us to ask about a trade, and we instructed them to talk to the Chargers because we didn't have permission to speak with any other team."

Schwartz says the problem is that the Chargers won't sign any more more permission slips.

"I asked the Chargers if we could talk to the rest of the teams in the NFL," Schwartz said. "They said there were certain teams they didn't want to trade him to, and I said, 'Fine, tell me those teams and we can exclude them.' Even after that, they said no, so the only conclusion I can come to is they don't want to trade him."

Schwartz's statements sound like a direct answer to an analysis by Kevin Acee in the San Diego Union-Tribune that said Jackson has to lower his asking price in order to move. Jackson's camp appears to be saying they could possibly get their price if they had permission to talk freely to other teams.

One potential suitor in Minnesota vanished on Wednesday and time is running out before Jackson's value drops. If Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith wants to trade Jackson, he'll let other teams get into the mix.

At this point, we're sure what A.J. Smith wants.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/25/agent-4-5-teams-have-called-about-vincent-jackson/

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    First of all, he's worth less if teams think we're itching to unload him.

Secondly, its not unlikely that those interested teams have already talked to AJ about trade compensation, and it just wasn't enough.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The shoe is on the other foot.

A.J. is working V.J.'s *** under the rules.

When players want more money, we all know the drill.

When players rights (which reads their sack) are owned by the teams, this is the result.

AJ is doing what he needs to do to set the salary bar by using the Seahawks as pawns - ginney pigs. I suspect the GM "wink-nod" is in play with the Seahawks and AJ.

Why not?

It makes good business sense.

It is also called collusion.

Rock and roll.

AJ is a witch.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Eloquent as always T-mang.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,649
    just as long as that pain in the *** is off the team as soon as possible I've got no complaints

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Does anyone understand what the chargers are doing with the jackson and mcneil situation now.

A couple of reporters mentioned why are the chargers only allowing the seahacks to talk to jackson. Why not get several teams involved to get a bidding war for him. That could only help the chargers trade jackson for better compensation.

And they've got mcneil in total limbo by not allowing him to talk to anyone. But under his circumstances now he really can't even play for the chargers because he's being paid so little with the chance of him getting hurt.

Am I missing something here.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    But why would jackson or mcneil even think of playing for just 600,000 thousand with the chance of them getting hurt.

I know they need one more year to play to get to be real free agents. But I doubt either jackson or mcneil will chance the getting hurt for playing for the 600,000.

Something isn't right here.

8. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Dear Mr. Schwartz. Welcome to the school of hard knocks. Of course AJ isn't going to give a permission slip to talk to other teams until he has had initial discussions on what's in it for the Chargers.

AJ has your client hostage, leaving you with a limited amount of options- sit your client for the year (or most of it), take to the public airwaves and ***** about the situation, and hope that AJ blinks first or that a white knight appears who can both offer the Chargers adequate compensation and jump on the ludicrous contract demand you are shilling .

• Like Like x 4
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Post of the year candidate!

10. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +251
    What is the over / under on how long it is before Mr. Schwartz is VJ's former agent?

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    thats not nessesarily true. For the chargers to get anything they have to have other teams in the mix to get a bidding war going to get compensation. Obviously with just one team in the mix. The seahacks there is no bidding war for jackson. And jackson's agent of course is asking too much. So why not have other teams in on the bidding.

OTherwise jackson doesn't play for any team. And the chargers never get any compensation.

Its stupid buisness all around. I do not understand it.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Because if VJ realizes someone might be willing to pay his outrageous demands he'll never come back down to earth. What if a team like New England says..."oh yeah we'll pay you 50mil"...and then uses the Chargers trade demands as a cop out?

I feel like the Chargers would still take him back if he lowered his demands. Nobody can argue he's a legit #1 WR, and he makes this team better in the middle of a Super Bowl window.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Don't we want something for him though. He's not gonna play for the chargers ever again. They've already decided that. . I'm all for a 2nd rounder next year to use to move up to get a better player like we did this year.

Mcneils another story. I have no idea what they're doing with that. Makes no sense. Mcneil is in limbo. Because of what the chargers are offering to pay now he won't play. And they won't let him try to be traded. Makes no sense.

We don't need him. So why don't we get something good for him.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,773
    Jackson is a liability on and off the field, his agent is blowing smoke up the medias *** to make big bad AJ at fault.

I can't wait until this is over and if Jackson is traded and falls on his face ( like Jefferson ) did we'll all know it's the system and not just individual talent.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    They shouldn't play for just $600k. :no:

It is in the players best interest to sit out (to avoid injury while getting paid peanuts versus a big contract).

There are no guarantees one more year of service will buy them free agency with no CBA in place. It is a roll of the dice with respect to future free agency requirements. The Chargers could franchise tag VJ forever if they wanted to retain his rights but at what cost ?

AJ is just playing by the rules the players and the NFL's management all collectively bargained for the last go around.

If both players sit the whole year, someone will pay them a king ransom (even after the strike / lockout).

All it takes is for a team to lose a key WR or LT and the game is now "ON" to bid up for VJ's and McNeill's rights. Now AJ has not only the player by the balls but whomever is knocking on our trade door. I like the leverage and we are using the players like a commodity which is exactly what they are .... a negotiable piece of meat.

I blame no one on this impasse.

That is the way I see it.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I can see waiting for teams to loose a left tackle or good wr where they'd want to bid for jackson and mcneil.

So we wait. Wouldn't it be smarter to get a bidding war for their services with several teams NOW. TEams may not even want players that have been at home for many months now. It would take a bit of time for jackson and mcneil to get into playing shape and adapt to thier new teams. So why not now put them on the trading block.

A.j. is pretty good at these games. But I don't understand the way he's playing it this time. The longer jackson and mcneil are sitting at home the rustier and upprepared thier gonna be. And the less they'll be worth. Time is now. When you have teams interested. Not later when teams are wondering if they should or shouldn't.

The chargers are waiting for something to give. But I'm not sure what that is. YOu have to be able to shop the players to get something. Not refuse to trade them.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Why drive up a VJ's salary demands that AJ is trying to keep as low as possible ? Think as though this is your money being spent.

AJ is not interested in trading VJ unless a mind blowing deal is shown by whomever. AJ is manipulating the market to say "this is what you are worth" under the rules of course.

The shoe is on the other foot for once and I like it in a twisted way. :yes:

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Has AJ ever actually said we're done with him?

The media has blown it up a little and said the two sides have grown apart, but lets be honest, how often is Acee ever right? And I know AJ has said we're moving forward without him, but thats like a non statement.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We wait is correct.

Time and leverage is on our side and not the players side. In the mean time, the team moves forward with what we got. That is the smart play.

20. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Foober, the Chargers can tell any team in the NFL what VJ is asking for in terms of money. The team doesn't need to let anyone to talk to Jackson in order for there to be some kind of bidding war. Teams need to talk to the CHARGERS about a trade, not to Vincent Jackson. There is nothing here to say they aren't ringing AJ all day every day pitching offers to the CHARGERS.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the chargers aren't allowing jackson and mcneil the opportunity to talk to other teams. The chargers don't make up how much jackson and mcneil are worth thats between the new teams offering to trade for jackson and mcniel to decide.

The chargers can only allow them to talk trade to other teams now. Which they are not doing. So the chargers get nothing. The players don't play and everyone gets ditto.

22. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    A.j. is usually really smart with this. But this one I don't understand.

There must be more to it than I or we know. Something is odd about this situation.

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    What is not to understand? AJ set it up so that VJ would have to report or accept a contract enabling a trade by September 4, or have to sit out 6 games. It is, in my opinion a very smart way to force VJ back to reality or let him decide to lose an accrued year. Whats not to understand?

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The team has no obligation to offer any more money than the tenders ($3 mil or so). There is no reason to over pay for either player which is probably what is killing the deal.

Gates and others just got re-done for a reason. I suspect it has to do with money or more aptly put, they did not ask for more than what the Chargers thought they were worth.

Ask for more than what you are worth and any boss is going to say "yeah right"

25. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +100
    Although I believe the Chargers have the money to get a deal done with both these players, I can't say what it should be. Your right. It's not our money. You are absolutly right on target with AJ's strategy at the moment in regards to VJ.

26. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Why would AJ allow other teams to talk to VJ before agreeing to the compensation the Chargers would get in return?

Allowing VJ to talk to any team is only beneficial to VJ, that's why his agent wants it. He's hoping to create a bidding war for him thus raising the contract demands (or fulfilling them). This doesn't help the Chargers in any way. A team like the Raiders could end up offering him $60 million or something outrageous but only offer the Chargers a 4th or 5th rounder. Then VJ's agent thinks VJ is worth $60 million, instead of the previous $50 million.

If a team liked VJ they could always say "Hey AJ we'll give you a 2nd (or whatever compensation they're willing to offer) for VJ but we'd like to work out a deal first. Can we talk to him?" Then it's up to AJ to allow it or not.

If AJ says no that's not enough maybe they offer more, maybe not.

Like you said AJ is smart, he knows what he's doing. Only a team desperate to trade a player would allow any team to talk to the player (which would also reduce the compensation the team would get).

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We can take an educated guess by using what the team has done in the past.

For instance, Rivers was given what he "deserved" compared to his peers based on production.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    AJ is taking so many people to school right now, and all he's doing is playing it by the book. Sooner or later these jackasses are gonna realize what quite a few of us have come to know and love about AJ:

DO NOT FCUK WITH HIM.

:headbang:

29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    I've thought about this too. It seems like 'overnight' Acee decided that the Chargers were not interested in him long term. To this day I'm not sure where he got this info?. As I've said, before VJ did the stupid stuff he did with the DUIs etc he was right up there in terms of the Chargers wanting to sign him long term. Yes the incident before the Jets game may have been the last straw for the team but I'm not so sure.

Were a team to come in with a blindingly good offer for him e.g. a first rounder or a pick with a player we like then he could be a goner.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Everyone knows we are looking to trade for him. It is pretty clear that he will never be in a Chargers uniform again.