1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Agent: 4-5 teams have called about Vincent Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The Chargers offered V.J. a multi-million dollar tender based on what was collectively bargained for and NOT productivity. If an offer is based on productivity, it would be in a long term contract offer. A long term offer is not going to happen when VJ wants jack that puts him on top of a WR heap plus one more screw up and he is looking at an 8 game suspension.

Is this a worthy gamble to offer VJ, who is tettering on the edge of the suspension sword of Lord Goodell, a long term contract ?

I think not.

The guy has baggage weighing his *** down. VJ needs to prove he can clean up his act by keeping out of the police blotter for starters.

Signing the tender is simple and yes "poof" he is back but not on the active squad list. The roster exempt protects the teams so they are not forced to remove a player from the active squad just because a player signs his tender. The player may be out of shape etc and would need to get up to game speed. The active roster would not suffer an immediate hit which is to the team and players benefit.

Whatever suspension VJ would have to serve is small potatoes. Nobody remembers or gives a rats *** about Gates' one game suspension or Coopers 3 game suspension as an example. Same deal with VJ. VJ will do his time and all will be forgotten unless he screws up again and then the guillotine falls and heads will roll.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Think like a business man.

The Chargers OWN VJ's rights exclusively.

Why give that right away for peanuts in a trade or for a player holding a salary gun the the organizations head ?

The Chargers have until the WEEK 6 trading deadline to move any player. These types of trades are rare but some GM or owner may lose their marbles after losing a key WR or LT and give up the farm to make the playoffs.

The Chargers just need to sit and watch the season unfold and see what suitors coming begging for VJ's or McNeil's services and then BAM - AJ puts the thumb screws to the poor unsuspecting bastards and game over.

I like it. :tup:

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    The simple fact is there are two sides to a sign and trade...the contract, and the compensation. The Chargers are in a position to inquire about compensation before allowing the other team to talk contract with the player. I'm not suprised that Jacksons agents are too stupid to recognize this.

Trumpy is right, it doesn't matter wether we trade him today or next week or in 3 weeks....he's probably not going to be Charger in 2010 no matter what. So whats the ****in rush?

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I could tell him to kiss the tip but he has not pissed me off yet ......

I am the mf'n prophet.....sheeet.... :icon_banana:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Jackson will not be available to the Chargers ONLY for 3 weeks. This does not apply to other teams since VJ would not be on their roster exempt list.

The narrow window is imaginary and non existant to the rest of the league.

The Week 6 deadline is all we need to worry about to trade a player.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Chargers and AJ = Julius Caesar's army
    VJ = Vercingetorix
    The press = Vercassivellaunus

Battle of Alesia. If you don't know, look it up. One of Julius Caesar's greatest victories.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That's actually pretty funny. :lol:

8. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +249
    Now that's what I call going really, really old school!...and it sounds about right!

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Smart ***, you think your sooo smart for knowing that don't you? :lol:

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,626
    :lol: No, actually I'm just glad all that studying has finally paid off. + Google ftw :icon_rofl:

(I'm not much of a history buff, I just have an affinity for Caesar and Alexander the Great)

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    FYI STL's #1 reciever Donnie Avery is probably out for the season....yet another potential suiter for VJack.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Truth.

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    What can we get from them...

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    How about that QB Bradford?, they won't be using him much will they?.

:lol:

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    If he only cares about money and not wins then this will be perfect for him!

16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Has to be draft picks. Have you seen their roster? :lol:

17. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I found this comment to be good information, posted by Trumpet Man: "The roster exempt protects the teams so they are not forced to remove a player from the active squad just because a player signs his tender."

Everything else he said in that same post has been stated dozens of times and I've refuted the premise on numerous occasions. I'll briefly reword one aspect of it. Outside of this forum, the vast, overwhelming majority would agree with me that if Vincent Jackson's productivity THIS YEAR is comparable to WRs making a lot more money than he was offered, then he deserves similar compensation. And I have said repeatedly that the Chargers can insulate themselves from every risk or objection that has been mentioned, with an incentive-laden contract. Their offer could've included clauses that protect them from suspension or injury or any other concern they deemed fit!

This fact is repeatedly ignored and people like Trumpet Man insist on shaping a false premise. It's always this narrow scope, Jackson is an incredible risk or why should the team cave to his exorbitant demands. The only exception is that the Chargers offered the maximum they're allowed to under the CBA, which is absolutely false.

There are some serious holes in this notion that great fortune will befall the Chargers because some team will be on their knees begging Smith for Jackson. One of course is that Jackson isn't worth a risk-free, produce-it-first contract from the chargers, but is worth his weight in gold for some other club. To address mati's point, in order to gain access to Jackson, teams could promise Smith any BS nonsense he wants to hear. The evidence is convincing that other teams have bypassed Smith and contacted Jackson's agent, and even Jackson himself. It is only formal negotiations that require Smith's permission. It's true, we don't know all the details, but a major problem with Smith's plan is that he needs Jackson's cooperation.

This team that crawls to Smith on their hands and knees and begs for his help will no doubt be equally exploited by Jackson's agent in the same manner Smith would. Knowing Washington's offer, Jackson's camp may well be telling Smith that Washington is his trading partner! Jackson's roster-exempt status is unclear, but his 3 game suspension was invoked by league Commissioner Goodell. That stands no matter where Jackson goes. A team that loses a key rec'r now to week 1 or 2 is more apt to look for someone who can help them right away. Jackson's availability window is indeed real! Further, no team is going to address a temporary problem with a permanent solution.

First it's like, some team making a super bowl run ... like the Rams? What complete nonsense! The Rams, another small-market team, have no history of such compulsive spending. It's true that the Chargers can restrict the real demand for Jackson now and drag this out, but the closer this all gets to the trade deadline, the less leverage they have. Remember, if nothing transpires, no team gains. Thing is, that includes the Chargers and in fact, they're the team that would lose whatever compensation they otherwise would've gained. Let me say that again, if nothing transpires, the Chargers are the losers!

It's amazing how Denver handled Brandon Marshall, and yet here, AJ Smith is glorified with his handling of Vincent Jackson. That some inept GM will come along and bail Smith out, which will then be perceived here as proof of his shrewd managerial expertise. :icon_rofl:

18. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Seriously, GTFO.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Is it me or does this markrc99 seem like a B4L, only with AJ angst?

One trick poodle...

20. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    He will be gone as soon as he gets his trade or his contract. :lol:

21. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I'm not understanding your argument, mark.

mark: Offer him a contract worthy of him and he'll play!

BoltTalk: He's worth exactly what we offer him, because we own the mf'er. Besides, if we wants to negotiate contract, he needs to get into camp.

mark: But he can get hurt, and the Chargers can protect themselves with a million clauses.

BoltTalk: Maybe. But he needs to get into camp first, and he refuses to do that, so he gets to sit and pout instead of negotiate a contract.

mark: Then trade him to the Redskins!

BoltTalk: What's the rush? We own the mf'er. We don't have to give him sheet.

mark: Because if you don't, the Chargers will lose out on stuff!

BoltTalk: Lose what? Remember the "we own the mf'er" part? If he wants to sit out all year, fine, and he'll go off somewhere as a UFA (maybe, depending on the new CBA) and we get a third or second comp pick. OR, some team gets desperate sometime between now and week 6 and we screw some other poor sap GM out of his draft picks.

mark: Trade him to who? You're not allowing anyone to talk to him.

BoltTalk: No, but anyone can talk to AJ. If they make us a interesting offer, THEN we give them permission to talk to him. If not, they can go screw off.

When VJ stopped playing football, he turned himself into a commodity. Guess what, he's now being treated like one, and he's now gambling his career playing high-stakes poker with the card shark that is AJ Smith.

If he didn't want to play THAT game, he should have played football instead.

22. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    My capacity to subject the Charger nation to shock 'n awe is glaringly evident! Try to cowboy the fuq up will ya! :icon_rofl:

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    You are truly a legend in your own mind. Actually I find your arguments very poorly thought out, repetitive and you seem to be lacking the ability to actually take information in and change your perception.

You have done nothing but in a short time prove you are not here to discuss football, but to try and find a venue to spew your hate towards AJ.

Personally I have just been moving over your posts because they remind me of the Henry the 8th song...

Second verse, same as the first...

24. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    "Shock 'n awe" = annoy with repetitive bullshit?

25. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Would you mind posting your age? This way we may have a better understanding of where you are coming from.

26. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Lord Goodell has his axe sharpened so what more "risk" tolerance should this team or any team accept ?

You down play the specter of a 8 game suspension which is looming. What good is a player who misses 1/2 of the season and then the entire season for the next transgression ?

Gates got his money because he is not a risk. Same with Rivers and Dielman. Tomlinson etc. Keep your noise clean and do your job and get rewarded. Moral terpitude clauses are included in every NFL contract which raises the point of why anyone would want to sign a player long term who will be pushing those clauses which protects the teams.

This is not rocket science. The finger of blame is within the CBA and not AJ or VJ. Both sides are doing what they need to do and if that includes sitting out the season, I will not blame the player or the Chargers.

When the shoe is on the other foot, it is easy to demonize the cast and crew.

I dig the **** out of what AJ is doing because he is protecting the team, organization and future players by being consistent. Many teams play this same hardball game - see the Patriots. It is a business of investments and not a personal thing which many try to make it.

That is the way I see it.

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :lol: - That pretty much sums it up. We own VJ's *** and time is on our side and not the players.

28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ok why did this markrc99 show up just to post about VJ? Look at all of his posts and they are about VJ and the contract situation. He is not a chargers fan, he has an agenda concerning the VJ situation. Many people use the same name across forums. Has anyone tried a google search of markrc99? Did you find anything Charger related? Maybe Redskin related?? Coincidence? Mark come clean! What is your agenda or your concern with our team?

29. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Hey Doug... please also ask him why he's wasting his time posting long-winded diatribes on internet fan forums.

I would ask him, but I don't wanna deal with player's agents. :lol:

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Probably family, friend or agent.

They found the most powerful forum in the universe to vent so that much credit should be extended to the brother otherwise - the game is afoot. :bolt: