1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Agent: LB Edwards won't return to Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2760511

Linebacker Donnie Edwards won't return to the San Diego Chargers for the 2007 season.

Edwards' agent, Tom Condon, told the San Diego Union-Tribune on Thursday that the sides have not talked and that Edwards would leave the team when the free-agency period begins in March.

"We're not doing anything [with the Chargers]," Condon told the newspaper.

Chargers GM A.J. Smith told the Union-Tribune that the team had sent Condon a letter two days after its playoff loss to the New England Patriots saying that Edwards was not in its plans.

"What Tom Condon told you is correct," Smith said. "Donnie will not be part of the San Diego Chargers this year."

Smith's comments were his first about Edwards since July 31. According to the Union-Tribune, Smith, who said he hasn't contacted the agents of any other potential free agents, had tired of Edwards' attempts to rework his contract and had made the linebacker available for a trade last April. The Chargers and New Orleans Saints were close to a deal last summer.

"It has become crystal clear to me that Donnie is very unhappy with his contract and has been for a few years," Smith said in June. "We have always appreciated Donnie Edwards' playing ability, and we believe he is well-compensated. However, because of his unhappiness we will do everything possible to find him a new team -- a team that will appreciate him the way he would like and will compensate him with an amount that will make him very happy and content."

Edwards led the Chargers in tackles each of the past five seasons and lead all NFL linebackers with 17 interceptions since 2002.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
  3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Wow, I didn't realize how impressive Donnie's numbers have been while a member of the San Diego Chargers. It's a shame that he didn't get to play in more Pro Bowls. :no:

4. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Its because that isnt very high for his position. Donnie is in a good position to get a lot of tackles, usually after the opponents cross the line. Whoever takes his place will probably have as many tackles as he does.

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I will take that bet any day. I guarantee no one next year has more than 110 tackles, 30 short of what Donnie had this year.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    It is going to take not having Donnie's tackles for people to understand what the number actually means.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I wonder how well Cooper and Wilhelm will do full time

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Did you know Donnie gets a half tackle on each play if he touches the runners *** at the end of the run ?

Donnie can literally grab assss after the fact to the tackling title.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I got banned for callling Donnie Edwards a PUSSSY at the UT boards.

DONNIE EDWARDS IS A FUC-KING PUSSSY

10. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bye Donnie ........

[​IMG]

11. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I say he ends up with the Saints. Maybe he goes back to the Chefs and plays for Herm.

12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Redskins and Giants have had LB problems, and both like to spend.

New Orleans and Houston also need LB help.

SF and Dallas are now running Wade's system. I think (but can't remember the guys name) Dallas has a decent WILB. Manusky might be interested because of the familiarity of the defense, but I'd be surprised if SF spends significant money on Edwards. The 49ers just turned the corner on cap hell, and throwing the kind of $$$ that Edwards wants isn't going to better SF. Mid-30's LB's tend to break down (see Seau).

13. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

I think he goes to a 4-3 team. I'd wager the Bum's boy isn't real interested. Donnie was long thought to be a Marty favorite.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Edwards game is his pass defense, other than that he sucks at stoping the run. I for one am not sad to see him go, his king kong mouth couldn't cover his chimpanze *** when it comes to AJ and ture value.:bolt2: