1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Aguirre got beat down...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455
    So now that the schmuck is out of office do you think the Chargers re-open discussions with the city on building on site at the Murph?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    I think that possibility is pretty much out... and after the vote last night it looks like Chula Vista is our only option :no:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Nope.

Unless CV steps it up, Chargers are gone baby.

4. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,683

Thinking about it just makes me want to punch people in the face.... :mad:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    At least their stadium in LA will be beautiful.

6. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Maybe, maybe not.

I caught this article in Forbes about 10 sports teams most likely to move and the Chargers are not on the list. Of the NFL teams they name the Bills, Vikings, & 49ers. No word on the Chargers.
    :icon_huh:
    So take that for whatever it is worth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MadMike

Ratings:
    +455
    The issues are:

No where in San Diego to move to at this point

No chance at this point to rebuild on site

Spanos is friends with Ed Roski

Roski has the site, the zoning, and the crew ready to build within months of a team signing an offer

And the Murph is leaking badly on wet days so the team wants out and soon

Hell I live in Corona about 15 minute drive from where Roski wants to put them stadium (At the junction of the 57 and 60 freeways) and I still want my boys in SD. LA fans suck.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I hope my city steps up, but there are a lot of people in Chula Vista East and West that are opposed to it. CV might not have the bureaucracy and red-tape SD does but it still have serious hurdles to get over. One of many is the Power plant and environmental issues. It would be a close vote if it did come to that and it might have to. There are a LOT of Charger Fans in CV, but there are a lot of Charger haters down here as well. :icon_sad:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    Now at least there can be discussions and discovery without Aguirre going bonkers

10. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,683
    Silver lining re: Roski - in order for him to get anything out of building the stadium he would need to have major ownership if not outright ownership of a team. Otherwise it just doesn't make much financial sense. The Spanos family isn't interested in selling the team, they just want a new stadium.

My hopes are on the Rams coming back to LA :D then we'd have 2 NFC and 2 AFC teams in California, a nice balance. Although, Jacksonville seems to be the most likely team to be sold anytime soon IIRC.

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

Just curious.
    Does Roski have the money/backing to build it with the economy the way it is?

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    good point. If the economy gets worse the chargers may have to stay at the Q for a while. Depends I suppose on if any of the developers got any of the "wall street bailout money"(ashwipe good old boys banks) that the government is giving away like candy to the corrupt cheating banks that are using most of it to pad thier own wallets.

13. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    I wonder how the Spanos' are bearing up in this economic meltdown.
    Much of their wealth was earned through construction which is really struggling.
    Hope they've left the odd billion in a shoebox under their bed just in case.

14. MadMike

Ratings:
    +455
    At least according to the articles I've been reading up here, he is funded and ready to build as soon as the ink dries with a team signing. This is the same guy who built Staples Center and a few other places.

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    According to Canepa;

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...rs-canepa-one-step-forward-two-back/?chargers

"And last, but far from least, is the current worldwide economic crisis. Trying to get a new stadium built in this area, where it's tough to get a pothole filled thanks to City Hall ice chewers, never was going to be easy. Now, constructing one anywhere – and the football team can go wherever it pleases after Feb. 1 if it pays off about $55 million in city debt on the stadium – seems about as likely as Ralph Nader winning a recall."

16. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    hope so, too, osmekaman. Don't want to have my Chargers somewhere else.

17. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Agreed, m8. :no:

18. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Voting Agguire out is great news. Invetsment partners in San Diego are now at least a possibility. While he is in office no one wants to even talk to the Chargers. This is the best new stadium news in a long time. :yes:

19. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I have tried to maintain optimism, but it is getting harder to do every month.