1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Air Brees worries me

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Little to no pass rush.

Secondary not playing at last years levels, partially due to lack of pass rush.

Brees airing the ball out like a mad man.

Not giving me warm and fuzzies. If our defense cant Pressure Brees, get him frustrated and make him rush his passes, and our secondary cant get their game on, we will lose this game.

I hope Teddy the Hutt can get the D playing at a pro level this week...

[​IMG]

2. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    We are ranked 8th in the league in sacks with 17. I think ****** tackling has been just as big of a contributor to our 21st ranked defense. I am not sure how many times Wilhelm & Cromartie have gotten pushed around. Even Weddle & Hart haven't been wrapping people up.

I think we get after Brees this week. I believe we're going to win this one. But if we don't if anybody can pick apart our D it's Drew Brees.

3. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    If we play that stupid soft zone that we have been playing all year, Drew will absolutely eat us alive. He will take all the 6-8 yard passes we will give him and more.

Why not take our chances with man to man with the corners. I would rather take our chances of being beat deep than watch a slow bleeding like the Miami and Buffalo games.:icon_huh::no:

Let's let Cro and Jammer earn their money and lock down some receivers.:yes:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The fact that we cannot stop ANYONE when absolutely NEED to is the one thing that is frustrating me more than anything.

AND, I GOTTA GO TO THE BAR TO WATCH THE GAME!!!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Brees has been lighting it up this season, so if the D doesn't show some aggresiveness and creativity, we could be in trouble. Rivers should light up their defense as well. This could be a shoot out, but I still think we win. Then again, I think we should win every game.

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Key is for Jamal to have a big game and get a consistent push up the middle. Pass rushers need to get their hands up on each passing play, and we'll see some batted balls. Just like we used to see from Brees here in San Diego.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Final score in this game is gonna be something like 463-462.

No defense will be played on either side of the field.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It depends on which Charger team shows up. If the team that beat the Pat's is on hand, Breezer will have a tough game. If it's the team that slept walked through last Sunday's game it will be a toss up.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    If Jabba plays soft zone with the DBs 10 yrds off the WR, we are fuked and I will want his *** fired.

Leave the spineless fuk in London.

10. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Kind of an obvious thread don't ya think...
    Defense Blows + Drew Brees + Marquis Colston = Fear

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm not worried about a JV QB (Breeser) against out team if we play our game on D. I'm worried about the way our player's seem to let down against lessor foe's such as the Saint's. There shouldn't even be a question who will win this game but our team has been a Jekyl and Hyde this year.:icon_shrug:

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Then why did you click in it? :icon_shrug:

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Sacks are often a bad indicator of pass rush. It's not the sacks I'm worried about it's the pressure. Brees is golden when he has time. When you get in his face he falls apart.

I would rather 0 sacks and have our pass rush making Brees move in the pocket, think twice about releasing the ball and adjusting his throwing motion to make his passing lanes work.

With a couple exceptions opposing QBs have gone long stretches without even a whiff of pressure.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Most starting pro QBs will pick a defense apart given enough time. DBs can't cover forever. :no:

We can get a lot of batted passes against Brees if we can get in his face quickly. If not, it may well be a long day.

15. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Playing the Saints in London at this point in the season was always going to be tough. Then take out the Saints' running game and you've got one hell of an offense against an uncertain, lackluster defense. That could spell disaster. Brees will be forced to air it out and will probably pull a Fedex Air player of the week award with a win because I just don't see the secondary being able to stop Brees and his recievers. Also, we have to keep in mind that we too have a pro-bowl air machine in Philip Rivers. I'm thinking that the offense will keep Brees off the field long enough to score some points and then we'll get lucky and Payton will try to swich stuff up without results. I just hope Norv is creative and the luck is in our corner. Here's to a great international spectacle. Go Bolts! Tear up Wembley!!!

16. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    Well, I don't know any QB that doesn't fall apart when you're in his face. Ranging from Manning to Brady to Damon Huard. I think our pass rush is actually pretty ******, but I also think our tackling has been horrendous. You cannot argue that our tackling hasn't been deplorable & pathetic from the first game of the season.
    All I'm saying is the pass rush alone is not the reason our defense sucks.

17. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Cuz conc usually has something really good to say :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I will let you slide with that one...:icon_tease:

19. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Depends on the weather. If it rains...you can divide those scores by about 200. That's one situation where LT's lack of cutting ability might actually hurt him less.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Drew will always be one of my all time favorite Chargers and I've always liked the Saints. BUT NOT THIS SUNDAY!!!

Some of the forum trash has this stupid claim that if you like any other teams, you're not a true fan.
    I say "that's retarded!!! So if you watched any Super Bowls (besides 94), you're not a true Chargers fan?"

I like other teams but when they're on the opposing side of the field of the Chargers... their just another opponent!!! :yes:

21. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Yeah, that's just garbage B4L. I have tremendous respect and admiration for the Steelers and Packers. The Steelers were always high on my list because they gave the Raiders and Cowboys fits (two teams I hate). They also play like I would. The Packers (also a pain in the arse to the Boys and Niners) are a community owned team, with some of the most loyal and courteous fans that you could ever meet. The Packers play in a tiny market (Green Bay) and even Pittsburgh, to a degree, when it lost half of it's population due to the the steel market crash. Blue-collar teams competing against the glitzy mega market giants like Dallas, New York and New England! I like both of these teams a lot and have for many, many years. Nothing wrong with pulling for others... one phuckin bit B4L!!

22. chargerlipz

Ratings:
    +151
    I've always been kind of fond of the Colts. Even when they were the Baltimore Colts. I also like the Cardinals. I always pull for them being the perennial losers, I would like to see them pull out a winning season every once in awhile. Now if they play the Chargers or them losing would benefit the Chargers I want them to lose. There is no other above the Chargers.

23. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    My teams in order.

1.chargers
    2.bolts
    3.chagahs
    4.cargadores (spanish :lol:)
    5.redksins
    5.bengals (i love ocho cinco :tup: )

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers
    Saints
    Lions... Yeah... I know....

25. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...You're a good man Conc :tup:

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I've always had a lot of respect for the Steelers (except in the 94 AFCC).

The other teams I follow are.
    Ravens
    Saints
    Bucs
    Cardinals

Except if their on the opposing side of the Chargers.

27. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    My teams in order.

1.chargers
    2.bolts
    3.chagahs
    5.redksins

28. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    My teams in order.

1.chargers
    2.bolts
    3.chagahs
    5.redksins

29. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Really? So some QBs aren't significantly better at handling pressure than others? And Brady and Manning have consitently fallen apart when they've faced pass rush pressure? Not, faltered, not slowed down, not stumbled but *fell apart* just like the low level starting QBs in this league? And Cutler doesn't excel when he's pressured and rolls out of the pocket?

I don't buy it. But I do buy Brees falling apart. We saw it when he was in San Diego. Awesome when he had time but the performance level fell of at a steep curve when pressured. Maybe it was his height, maybe it was something else. But it was.

No one said it wasn't. But this thread is about Brees and the Saints. The Saints have the number one passing game in the NFL by a LONG stretch. They have 311 yards per game passing. The next best? The cards at 273. New Orleans is the most dominant passing game in the league.

And where are the Saints in regards to the rushing game. All the way down at #27.

So point taken but back to the point of this thread. If the Chargers want to beat the Saints they must, beyond anything else, conjur up a pass rush. Period point blank the end.

30. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I keep an eye on the Steelers. They were the only football I watched before I hit 8 or 9. My entire mother's side of the family is from the heart of Pitsburgh. But I'm a San Diego boy at heart.