1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Air Coryell 2.0

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I know this is just speculation and I too am guilty of it, Everyone has always said "Fire Norv" blah blah blah. We all know about Air Coryell and how amazing that offense was, we know Norv runs a similar style. Reason I believe he hasn't been successful was he didn't have to right pieces, this off season I believe he found those pieces. We were always an exciting offense nothing like back when Fouts was at the helm throwing it to Joiner, Winslow, Jefferson/Chandler, Muncie with the right pieces I believe it can be more exciting.

We have a extremely accurate quarterback who can throw it deep, we have Floyd and Meachem as our Speedy receivers too run out deep and adjust, Mathews who no doubt will be or strong running game, the addition on McClain will make sure of that. Gates and Brown as our mid range targets as well as Royal (who will help a great deal on 3rd downs as to what we lost when Sproles left)

you take that and hopefully with a solid Draft and offseson round up we can not only have The most exciting offense in the NFL but also a very solid defense too

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    But I thought we were nowhere near as explosive without Jackson?......... that's what Hacksaw told me. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    any team is only as good as its O-line. Do you think Don Coryell would have ran Sproles up in the middle on 3-4th and short inside the 20? You can change the players but the stupid play calling remains.

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I rewrote your post so that it didn't hurt my eyes as much, allowing me to reply to it. I think that this offense could be more explosive than last season, in spite of VJ leaving, if Gates and Floyd are healthy for the overwhelming majority of the season.

I think that Meachem is a different receiver from Jackson, and we're going to find out if we got a steal picking him up while avoiding VJs contract demands, or if we only served to screw ourselves.

5. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I'm just happy we were able to pick up guys I have heard of that are still in their prime that can catch the ball. Rivers should be able to spread the ball around with these guys. Unlike Air Coryell 1.0, I hope they are able put together a defense that can stop the other teams...or at least slow them down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    On paper this starting offense is not as impressive as it has been as early as five years ago. However, that's exactly what I'm basing my optimism this season. Our running game got much better with the addition of a hard nosed Full Back. Speed at the reciever position has increased from last year; not gonna say we are better off without Vjack, but I doubt largely our offense as a whole will take a step back as we've played a good handful of games without him the last two years anyhow.

I'd love to have Gates healthy, barely remember what that looks like. Royal is a huge x factor on 3rd down and four wr sets. I expect every aspect of our offense to improve this season compared to last.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think if you factor in the guys we were able to sign by not spending $11mil on VJ, I do think we are better off with out him

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I believe we are all making an assumption, and we all better hope that assumption is correct: "River's 2011 was an aberration and he will return to elite status in 2012." As long as that turns out true, then our offense will be fine.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    As I've been going through the games again, it's clear that other than the INTs (as killer as they were) Rivers did have an elite QB caliber season. There were some terribly timed mistakes like the Wilfork interception before halftime, and the Kyle Wilson pick with 5:30 left in the Jets game that not only ended potential scoring drives for us, but turned into a point swing for the other team.

For about the first half of the season it was obvious Rivers had no confidence in his O-line. Clary, Vasquez, Hardwick, and McNeill got beat way too often, and it crippled a lot of would be scoring drives. I won't get into where Norv should take a share of the blame but damn...drop a set bro.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Just remember Rivers on his worst day, still makes the pro bowl over Palmer, Sanchez, and Orton on their best

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm pretty confident that Rivers will be back to form if the line isn't complete ***. As far as the quality of our receivers this season, it could be significantly higher than last season, because Meachem, Gates, Floyd, Brown(now), and Royal is a better set than VJ, McMichael, Brown (as a rookie), Crayton, and Buster/Goodman.

I've said it before, the productivity of our passing game this season isn't going to be about VJ vs Meachem, it's going to be about everybody else. Smitty is betting on them being healthy all year, and if he's right, then Rivers might break Brees's record.

12. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I agree, I prepared myself (along with many of you) for his departure years ago. Also like many of you I wanted him gone 16 months ago. In exchange for the money we got excellent value at crucial needs, and I hate to say it but kr and pr was our best pickup imo (Royal). In terms of need anyways, we have all seen what PR can do with guys you've never heard of running routes, our return game needed a speedster.

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I'm really looking forward to watching the receiving corps this season. We have a set of guys with very different skill sets. If Rivers gets protection and their skills are exploited (let's go, Noval), the passing game could be much improved even if it's not as explosive as the past couple of seasons.

14. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I hope to see a lot of Royal in the slot, I know he won't be on the field much with the first unit; but I love his squirrelly route running across the field. I think he could make a huge impact in our offense if used correctly.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I don't see there being enough BAWLS to go around this year, and I really don't want to see Vincent Brown get phased out, he's a crisp route runner and has great body control, and soft hands. He'll never be a #1 like VJ, but I could see a very suitable #2 across from Meachem and Gates.

Next year I think Royal could be a bigger part of the offense if/when Floyd leaves.

16. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Not having enough bawls to throw around is a good thing, I think PR could have used a good check down short range receiver this year though.