1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Air Norv says Bombs away!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    On a night when the Chargers honored a defender from the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, the Bolts’ offense put on a show that was reminiscent of the Air Coryell days.

With the Chargers holding New England to just 299 total yards, it was a performance that would make a defender like Fred Dean proud as well.

Philip Rivers threw 3 touchdown passes and the Chargers kept the defending AFC Champions out of the end zone until late in the fourth quarter as the Bolts delivered an emphatic 30-10 victory at Qualcomm Stadium Sunday night. Dean was inducted into the Chargers Hall of Fame during a halftime ceremony.

The Chargers came out firing from the get go as Rivers connected with Vincent Jackson for a 48-yard gain on the first play of the game. The long completion set up a 25-yard Nate Kaeding field goal that gave the Bolts a quick 3-0 lead.

The deep ball worked again on the Chargers’ second drive of the night when Rivers connected with Malcom Floyd for a 49-yard touchdown. Kaeding’s PAT made it a 10-0 contest midway through the first quarter.

The Bolts pressured New England throughout the night and kept the Patriots from finding much of a rhythm on offense. The Chargers sacked Pats quarterback Matt Cassel four times, making the signal caller’s fourth-career start a difficult one. Stephen Gostkowski’s 47-yard field goal in the second quarter accounted for New England’s only points of the first half.

After the Chargers forced a three-and-out late in the second quarter, Darren Sproles put the Bolts on the doorstep with a 22-yard punt return that helped extend the lead. A 17-yard catch by Floyd set up a four-yard touchdown catch by Jackson. Rivers’ second touchdown toss of the night made it a 17-3 game just before halftime.

On the opening possession of the third quarter, New England drove 87 yards to the Chargers’ one yard line, but the Bolts denied Cassel and company on four-consecutive attempts from three feet shy of the end zone as the Pats came up empty on the long drive.

Rivers responded with a 59-yard toss to Jackson to get out of the shadow of the end zone. After a 32-yard pass interference penalty, Rivers threw a one-yard touchdown pass to tight end Antonio Gates to push the lead to 24-3.

Cornerback Quentin Jammer had a monster night, holding Randy Moss to just three catches, and he ended a Patriots drive with a third-quarter pick of Cassel. That led to three more points for the Chargers as Kaeding hit a 35-yard field goal on the resulting drive. Kaeding added a third field goal in the fourth quarter that made it a 30-3 contest.

Late the fourth quarter, New England capitalized on one of few mistakes the Chargers made. Following a fumble recovery, Pats running back Sammy Morris scored a one-yard touchdown to bring it to 30-10 with 5:16 remaining in the game.

Chargers.com

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    A great game plan that was executed damn near to perfection!! :tup:

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,487
    Vjacks hands still make me nervous.

[​IMG]

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    If you watch the replay, VJax's left hand was being held as he was catching the ball.

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,487
    Yeah but he always does this.

He always bobbles the ball, not just on this play, I remember him dropping a few easy TD's over the last couple years.

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Check out the two highest rated QBs in the NFL...

Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate
    Philip Rivers SD QB 102 165 61.8 27.5 1,489 9.0 248.2 14 4 65 39.4 67 23 9 8 109.4
    Drew Brees NO QB 159 224 71.0 37.3 1,993 8.9 332.2 12 6 82 36.6 84T 26 9 6 105.0

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,139
    What? No second comming of Montana, AKA Cutler?

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    that is some beautiful stats right there. :tup::icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +206
    What I want to know is why Norv forgot about the vertical passing game against Miami. It's Jeckle and Hyde with this guy.

10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Exactly my complaint game after game. This isn't rocket science. If you want some room for a running game, bomb the defense. Personally, I wish Norv had bombed the Patsies over and over again, leaving them with something to remember for running up the scores last year. I don't think New England could have stopped them without getting flagged! 50 was easily within reach. Cracked me up and befuddled Norv when Belipuss called that T.O. with 2 seconds left in hopes of a more respectable score. That's exactly how Boldin got hurt, stupid phuck!

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,346
    When Floyd came out to start as the #2 receiver, I looked to my friend and said "what's up with this?"

Then I realized the distinct height advantage we had over their CB's. Good move by Norv on that. :tup:

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you guys crack me up!!

If we suck, it's on the players, if we win it's "what great job by Norv!!"

:lol:

Where's B4L

???

:lol:

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +206
    I think that's a gross generalization.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,604
    Seeing as how his whole schtick is about Norv sucking, I guess after last nights almost perfect gameplan, he finally has nothing to say.

:icon_shrug:

[/wishfulthinking]