1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ and Agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    AJ and Ed McGuire have two straight #1 draft picks with positive vibes coming from the mouth of their agents. Isn't it time for the nitpicking naysayers to get off AJ's back?

Todays UT story

Merriman signing

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Maybe its a good cop(AJ)/bad cop (McGuire) thing
    But this will definetely help us pick up free agents

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Somebody will still say A.J. lowballed them or some stupid shiitt.

A.J. is freaking GOD !!!!!

[​IMG]

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Nah, the naysayers always say Spanos is cheap and AJ's tactics drive away potential FA's.

Then how come Cromartie's agent is saying he got 13% more than last year's #19 pick (Alex Barron)? Teams have been averaging around 8-9% more, yet the Chargers EXCEEDED that.

I am extremely happy that all our draft picks are under contract. Cro missing one day of rookie practice doesn't mean squat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    That 13% caught my eye as well and not too shabby on all parties. I'd like to see that tied to playing time and incentives (ProBowl for instance) if he is all that.

Dude will still be a bargain in those same dollars 2-3 yrs from now if he excells......

Actually, Ed McGuire is the genius behind all of this.

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word............

Go Bolts :)

7. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I really don't look at it that way, but maybe it's my Army background. I tend to view organizations the same way the military operates. I was an Asst S-3 (Operations officer) and if the S-4 (logistics) or S-1 (personnel) had needs that affected operations, we'd co-ordinate to ensure the mission got accomplished while meeting all the concerns/needs of the various sections.

Each guy under the Commander (Spanos) has their job, and they go out and make it happen. There is input from each department (AJ - player acquisition, Marty - coaching, McGuire - contracts). If Marty really wants a player, but McGuire doesn't think he can fit that guy under the cap scheme, then they move on to the next player. If AJ and his scouting staff don't like that player as a fit for Marty coaching schemes, they'll advise Marty why they don't like it.

To me, it's an interactive relationship for both acquiring players, and getting them signed under a salary cap scheme which keeps the organization healthy now and in the future.

For all the bull crap about Marty and AJ not getting along, we saw our first two picks being players that fit Marty's scheme and needs. Cro is a big physical corner (and Marty specifically noted after the draft that Cro is his type of DB) and McNeill is a need we've had for quite some time (although in my opinion, he needs a ton of work) and has the physical tools for the OLT position.

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The wizardry is the the numbers here the way I see it and not so much the hierarchy.

Agents love to crow about the bottom line. 13% is certainly impressive but how is it structured ?

Somehow McGuire found a contractural medium for the agent to crow about yet for all we know, the incentives may be unattainable to actually see that 13% or maybe they are attainable but the player has to bust his hump because they are on the "cusp" of attainable........

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    BTW: The NFLPA.org has taken contract info OFF their website. Bastages. Without that link, it's going to be a LOT harder to try and get salary info, especially from a team like the Chargers that doesn't release very much information on contracts.

The Cro contract could have a huge 5th season base salary, that pushes the percentage increase up. Some rumblings I've read said that picks 1-16 (those eligible for 6 year deals) wanted year 5 and/or year 6 to have base salaries close to the anticipated "franchise tender" salary for that position. Otherwise, they didn't want that extra year. That could be why Huff only signed a 5 year deal, when the Raiders were eligible to sign him to 6 seasons.

In Cro's case (and I'm just speculating here) he could have held out for a four year deal, so he would be eligible for true FA at the end of his contract. But, if AJ/McGuire put the 5th year at the anticipated franchise tender amount, then the player would readily sign for that term. That bumps the overall value higher.

But, by the overall value of the deal, it doesn't appear that the 5th year is that high of a base salary.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed. Missing one day means nada. Cromartie will not be affected. Not one iota.

This Saturday we get to see the team at full strength and getting ready for some battles.

Our first pre-season game is just days away and I love it. :rockout: :devil: :rockout: :devil: :rockout: :devil: :nana_dance:

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    That is the way I was reading it as well for the length of contracts and how Huff threw a monkey wrench into the dudes below him to the 16th hole.

The NLTBE and LTBE incentives and the structures was more what I was after here. The franchise tendered base in years 5 or 6 would be huge (I would imagine ~$16 million by that time?) pushing the deal up. Way up.

12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    We need lots of pics AND solid takes.

I'd really like y'alls first hand opinions of the OL, ILB's and the safeties.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Let's see how well I am standing for starters. :lol:

I have to get up in the stands so maybe I can send someone to save me a few seats in the bleachers...I will bribe them with grub and beer. :icon_mrgreen: