1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ at the bye: 'We better get our act together quickly'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SD Native WY, Oct 6, 2009.

1. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Link: http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/06/n99433-chargers-canepa06/?chargers

AJ at the bye: 'We better get our act together quickly'

5:15 p.m. October 6, 2009

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith is not pleased with his team's results a quarter of the way through the season. - Howard Lipin / Union-Tribune
    SAN DIEGO – The Chargers have had as much success playing regular season football games in Pittsburgh as Germany has managed in regular world wars. That known, for them to finish on the short end in the city of the three rivers hardly makes for a denouement worthy of Agatha Christie.
    So they lost. NFL teams lose. All but one in history hasn't. Continuously losing in Pittsburgh is a problem, but in this case, it was acne on the elephant in the room. It was the way they lost. It was humiliating. Disturbing.
    “Absolutely embarrassing,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith confirmed Tuesday during the first of our annual quarterly report get-togethers. “Everything is wrong with it right now. I'm not the least bit happy in a lot of areas. I've seen us be tough and physical to soft and bewildered.”
    Coach Norv Turner fumed when asked if his lads were manhandled. Norv, your team was Stooges-slapped defensively. He even went so far to say his defensive line didn't play all that poorly in Pittsburgh. Norv, by game's end, your guys were wringing out their uniforms after being blown into the Monongahela – or was it the Allegheny or Ohio? Maybe the soaking helped remove the tire tracks.
    The Candy Man can sugar-coat things, but he can't blindfold the angry, watchful villagers. This was one pathetic voyage, and he was on the bridge.
    The Steelers ran up 32 first downs, 497 total yards – 165 of those provided on the ground by JV tailback Rashard Mendenhall, who had been exiled to coach Mike Tomlin's personal Elba. The Chargers were aspirin for their Super Bowl hangover.
    Going in, San Diego hadn't played the run worth a damn, but had sucked it up and improved when it mattered. It never mattered in Pittsburgh. And with defensive coordinator Ron Rivera content to fall back in that zone and allow quarterback Ben Roethlisberger – who is very good, by the way – to stand around and throw underneath all night without adjusting defied logic.
    You think you have cover corners. Man-up and get after the quarterback. You're not beating a good QB that way (you're only going to get JaMarcus Russell twice a year). Even if losing is inevitable, show the other guys you've been shaving for a while.
    The Chargers can't run block, can't stop the run, can't come close to applying enough quarterback pressure – from inside or outside – and will continue to have trouble defending the pass if the secondary is ordered to back off receivers as if their pockets are filled with Strontium 90.
    This is not a physical football team – on either side of the ball.
    Very few Chargers played well Sunday night, but the coaching staff gets a flat game ball. Steve Crosby, who runs special teams, seemed the only guy on the sidelines who knew what he was doing.
    Turner may be an offensive wizard, but this was yet another game his guys started as if introduced just prior to kickoff, when one play, one stop, could have made a tremendous difference. Maybe he should come out in the two-minute and let it rip.
    Get down 28-0 to Pittsburgh on the road, don't brag about comebacks, how your team fights to the end. How about fighting in the beginning?
    The front seven, not long ago thought to be the best in the sport, has become the Seven Blocks of Marmalade. So seminal nose tackle Jamal Williams is hurt and out, as is defensive end Ryon Bingham? So Shawne Merriman isn't ready? Send anvils, not flowers.
    “Everybody gets hurt in the National Football League, if not early, then late, or in the playoffs,” Smith said. “You do the best you can. Deal with it.
    “Everything bothers me right now and there's not much we can do. You can make trades (trading deadline's Oct. 20) or go on the street, but all you can do is tweak in football – during the season. You can lose your job and the players are still here.”
    What to do? This is a bye week, a time to heal, but the Chargers need an attitude inoculation. Don't give me that “San Diego soft” crap. One Charger was raised in San Diego – nose tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo – and he played at Michigan State.
    Denver is 4-0 and now has a two-game cushion on the Chargers in the AFC West. The Broncos get New England at home this week. If they take that one and come in here and win on Oct. 19, they'll be 6-0 and the Chargers may as well book January cruises. The miracle of 2008, when Denver collapsed and the 8-8 Chargers made the playoffs, isn't happening again.
    “If this trend continues, we'll be 8-8 – or worse – and certainly out of the division,” Smith said. “We won't have the credentials. It's not going well for the San Diego Chargers and we'd better get our act together quickly.
    “We need to complete games. We've gained absolutely no ground over last year. I'm extremely disappointed.”
    A.J. Smith sounds like our e-mailers. Except he won't call for his own firing.
    Nick Canepa: (619) 293-1397; nick.canepa@uniontrib.com

2. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    This is like a "No **** Moment" what was AJ's first clue. When the GM is worried I guess its time to be worried. Too little to late.

3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    "Steve Crosby, who runs special teams, seemed the only guy on the sidelines who knew what he was doing."

Who would have ever thought we would be reading that a few years ago? I can remember when everyone wanted his head.

For me AJ's last quote is his code that Norv is history. Though Spanos may take AJ out before then.

Anyone with any clue could see the progressive softening of this team over the last three years in terms of toughness and certainly a deterioration in terms of consistency.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Norv has run out of chances. AJ still has one left, but from now on he is subject to a higher power when it comes to hiring and firing coaches.

If the wheels are indeed falling off (and it appears to be so), then nuke them all, and get someone like a Tomlin, Ryan, or Singletary in here. Someone who will slap these sissies around and embarrass them publically when they embarrass the team.

I'm backing Ant in this race and throwing my support behind Russ Grimm as well.

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    **** Smiff. Now he's trying to act like a tough guy once again in order to save his skin if something goes wrong. If Norv goes, AJ goes with him.

**** this bullshit. We're 11 and 11 in our last 22 games Mr. Hardass. Since the start of the 2008 season we've gone 1-8 against teams that made the playoffs that year. You couldn't see the signs and do anything about it? You sit on your *** and draft a bunch of luxury players when we've been lacking on our lines for the last years, and now you're saying that there's nothing you can do?

Disappointed? WE WERE 8 AND ****ING 8 AND WE DID NOTHING TO GET BETTER OTHER THAN SIGN A CAST OFF IN BURNETT AND ASSUME THAT A PLAYER WHO MISSED AN ENTIRE SEASON WOULD TURN THE DEFENSE AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could see in preseason that the depth on our lines was weak. When Norv, in his infinite wisdom, kept only six offensive and six defensive lineman on the team in exchange for six runningbacks and six safeties you could see where the emphasis was placed on this team. We're not built from the trenches backwards and it's showing. AJ, you've sat back and added nothing meaningful to either one of our lines all the while both units have continued down the path towards mediocrity ever since the 06 season.

Don't pass the buck on this one you greasy haired son of a gun. You gave us Norv in the name of continuity. You shoved Coattails down our throat because he was your buddy. You've avoided dealing with the issues up front. You plated this pile of **** yourself, and now you've got to eat it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Norv getting miffed at the suggestion his team was manhandled kinda says it all. He might have to publicly back them and not completely call them out but he cannot deny we were kicked to pieces. Some of Canepa's analogies are perfect. Fair play to him for not beating around the bush, somebody needs a big dose of reality in Chargers Park.

I hope u are reading into what AJ is saying correctly Joe. How ironic were Norv's biggest fan to fire him. As for all this supposed offensive genius I don't see it. Rivers and the skill players seem to be covering up some seriously bad playcalling/design.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Somebody needs to send this to Spanos & AJ.

:tup:

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    “If this trend continues, we'll be 8-8 – or worse – and certainly out of the division,” Smith said. “We won't have the credentials. It's not going well for the San Diego Chargers and we'd better get our act together quickly.

“We need to complete games. We've gained absolutely no ground over last year. I'm extremely disappointed.”

"A.J. Smith sounds like our e-mailers. Except he won't call for his own firing."

Well at least AJ has confirmed what I have been saying all along. Maybe I am not talking out of my arse like some people think. :lol:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    If I were in Norv's shoe's and thank God I'm not, if you arn't injured, your *** would have been at work Tuesday morning EARLY!!!!!

Hell, I'd just reopen camp and get me a marine DI and go to work.

10. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +342
    No need to comment - you covered it exceptionally well :tup:

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Norv Turner is a ****ing *******!

He said our D-line didn't play poorly!?!?!?!..... WWWHAAT!!!!

Right now I'd say of the 32 D-lines in the league we'd have to be bottom 3. I'd trade our D-line for Oaklands strait up at this point, and thats saying something!

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ is a legend in his own mind thanks to the drooling of many over a few undrafted/late round "gems".

Now it's catching up with him & he's looking for yet another scapegoat.

Perhaps you should try Wall Street, Mr. Smith. :icon_evil:

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Just all of you wait, this will turn around once I get my adopt a bolt siggy...lol! CONC!! :icon_tease:

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    8-8 means I will not have to look to find the $$$$$$ for playoff tickets! I can use that extra cash for Christmas for my family!

15. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    AJ needs to get his act together:yes:

16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    :icon_rofl: I hope so

17. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    The coaches available if all keeps going south.

1. Gruden (forced out by Tampa Bay)
    2. Brian Billick (forced out by Baltimore)
    3. Holmgren (retired, but wants to come back in 2010)
    4. Cowher (retired, secretly waiting for the Carolina job)

All 4 have WON a Super Bowl. All 4 are good HC IMO. Gruden or Billick would work, especially Gruden, he would easily take the Bolts HC job, as would Billick. It would not work with Holmgren and AJ IMO. If AJ goes, then Holmgren might work.

Hire Russ Grimm as a DC

I am not against Norv staying on at OC. But I like Gruden if Norv goes.

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Keep reminding yourself WHO SIGNED LT this year.

WHO SIGNED LT THIS YEAR ?

I see this as AJ's way of telling the old man (Spanos), "I told you so."

We have not improved and AJ knows it and is man enough to say it. :tup:

$8 million could have gone a LONGgggg ways early on to plug some holes but nooooo ......

I see anger misplaced big time. :yes:

A.J. SMITH IS GOD !!!!!!

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's not even a lesser prophet.

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Put this in your pipes and smoke it.

Be very careful of what you wish for ......

I would not be surprised A.J. Smith is getting soooo frustrated with Dean Spanos that he RESIGNS AS GM OF THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS. :icon_eek:

If that happens, it will be the forum experience of the millenia and I suspect many will regret the day, A.J. Smith leaves the Chargers. :yes:

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He learned how to win championships in Buffalo.

'Nuf said on that.

Maybe Spanos is castrating AJ. If so, then I expect him to man up & face him down or get the hell outta dodge.

I'm seeing no more accountability from him right now than I do from the shills in DC.

22. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    You would hire an ex offensive lineman who has only coached offensive lines since retiring to be your defensive coordinator?

:icon_huh:

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    hey buddy!

welcome back!

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

24. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    :icon_bow:

25. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I HOPE BY GET OUT ACT TOGETHER HE MEANS FIRE NORV!

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    I see AJ included himself in that statement.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I almost tossed my cookies when I saw the schedule the team was keeping. Norval ought to be rubbing their noses raw on the grindstone. Except for the wounded who need to heal, I would be running these dopes into the ground for a few days before giving a brief rest prior to prepping for the divisional games we have coming. This way, the team will be stewing in their own juices.

28. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I forgot Shanahan, but I see him going to Washington, or most likely Dallas when Wade gets fired.

29. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

I meant O-Line coach. Wade for the DC after he gets fired from Dallas.

30. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Howdy,

You silver-haired chick magnet. :lol: