1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ blasting Marty in USA Today

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LittleTrain, Aug 15, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    I'm just not sure this accomplishes anything but instead makes everyone think AJ's a bastard as opposed to Marty.

2. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Nice to point out history with Marty's playoff record AND then completely disregard history with his current choice. It seems completely contradictory.

3. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    "It what it is." Who cares about last year at this point? All that matters is what's ahead. I'm done with Marty he's gone.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,183
    I am going to say this and get flamed. So let me start out by saying AJ Smith has been a god send for the Bolts and for the most part done a superb job.

But when he says his record speaks for him...
    He was with Buffalo when they went to 4 superbowls and lost. His record isnt all that. He could use a spoon full of humility. Talking crap about Marty, love him or hate him brings AJ down a notch IMO.

What Championship has AJ won?

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I think you are missing the point.

AJ constantly said locally this offseason, "14-2 is great, it looks real good on the resume, but I would rather finish 10-6 and win that first game in the tournament".

"Get to the tournament and give yourself a chance to win".

Marty: 0-7 in his last seven playoff games.

6. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Conc, if you don't understand the flaw in your logic, I won't be able to explain it to you.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Actually, Conc, it was Marty who was saying his record speaks for itself.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,183
    In post season that is even more laughable...

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    not called for in my book. I'm surprised to see AJ go onrecord w/ that. tyhey must really have a hate on for each other.

the being said i'm real glad it's marty gone and not AJ:icon_banana:

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    Buffalo went to 4 more Super Bowls than Marty. Fact.

Norv owns 2 more Super Bowl rings than Marty. Fact.

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Also fact: Norv has won a playoff game as the HC in the last 10 years.

:yes:

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    Gotta get to a SB to have a chance to win it.
    Norv does have two rings but he was an assistant.

Id love for Norv to be our OC along with another HC.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    My main point was at least both Norv and AJ know what the field @ the Super Bowl feels and smells like. The only way Marty is ever getting there is if he buys a ticket like the rest of us.

14. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Concudan...where have you been all my life?
    You made a great point that I have never seen anyone but me raise.

When AJ talks about Marty's record....IT IS HIS RECORD TOO! It is also LTs record....and Jamal's record.

When AJ said of Donnie..."I dont care what you have done in the past...it is about what you are doing now"....I figured that his apologists would practice what their guru preaches. Who cares what AJ did in Buffalo (read: not win the big one), judging him by his past merits is hypocritical.

AJ also came out publicly in the media about how poorly Donnie had handled things and how tacky it was to air things out in the media....then AJ did it himself....then he did it again with Marty.

I think it is classless and disrespectful....and a poor example for the rest of the team when THEY get pissed off. Are they supposed to toss around cheap shots in the media?

This team is a playoff team, no matter who is coaching it. Thank Butler for that....not AJ. Without Butler we would be "in the doghouse" right now. That shouldnt reflect on AJ.
    Most of the things that AJ gets credit for is actually done by B Nix, E Mcguire, and J Spanos......most of what Marty is faulted for was actually due to Cam, Stewart, and Crosby.

BTW- if you dont believe that Buddy Nix deserves the bulk of the praise for AJ's job, DONT cite his years in Buffalo as "his record"...most of the time he was the Buddy Nix of Buffalo...no more, no less. The guy played WR on a semi pro team and wore a suit every day since. Marty played LB in the NFL and coached LBs, CBs, and just about everything else up to and including head coach of the best team on the planet. It was Marty's influence that landed Jue (our only move from a couple of offseasons ago)......It was Marty's coaching at the Senior Bowl that gave Rivers the chance to shine (and resulted in him being picked by the Giants FOR US).

AJ said for years "we are following the Patriot's plan". Have you seen the Patriots lately? They didnt sit on their hands in the offseason....and they beat us.....with Reche Caldwell. Rodney and Junior werent even playing....they had scrubs at alot of positions (and Im sure most of you wouldnt have even wanted Seau back on the team before he graduated).

I dont get the AJ love....but I sure dont get the hate for Marty. That guy didnt do anything but work his *** off for this team while seeing them improve every season. Cam and Wade went on to be head coaches of their own....does that reflect on AJ or Marty?

15. Kyle

Kyle BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I heard A.J. himself say this on Loose Cannons about a month ago. They were talking about him being Executive of the Year a couple years ago, and bringing in umpteen Pro Bowlers and he said the personal accolades were nice but the only numbers he saw was 0-2 and that's not good enough (paraphragsing). And he said everybody in the organization needed to do better to make sure they not only get a win, but go deep in the playoffs.

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    He was a failure in the playoffs.

Out coached.

No poise.

Good riddance. :wave: Marty

17. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    AJ's comments don't seem all that harsh to me. Remember, he's been asked all about his "feud" with Marty only about a kazillion times, and almost every time he said they just saw things differently. I don't fault him for expressing a little frustration.

On the other hand, I'm not an "AJ is gaud" fan either. I think he's a shrewd, hard working and focused individual, but my take is that he'd let his mom walk the 5 miles home from the bingo hall rather then end a business meeting short.

18. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    AJ wants a Championship.

He wants it more than anything else except maybe God and family - and that's a maybe.

He will crush underfoot whatever gets in the way of that Championship.

That's exactly what I want out of my General Manager.

You want "loyalty" and playing favorites? You get Dale Lindsey, Brian Schottenheimer, and Tamarick Vanover.

AJ any day of the week, thanks.

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

AJ know's he's 0-2 in the playoffs, that's why he dumped Marty, because Marty has shown to suck in the playoffs. It's that simple. It'd be one thing if he had a history of going deep in the playoffs and then just losing (like Cowher) but he didn't.

People always like to say well if Cowher and Dungy could do it so can Marty.

Only one difference, Cowher is 12-9 in the Post-season, Dungy is 9-8 in the Post-season, Marty is 5-13, Marty would have to go 8-0 in the playoffs to even bring his post-season record up to .500.

AJ's job is to bring in the talent to win the SB, I think most of us think we have the talent (including most of the national media), so obviously AJ is doing his job. You can build the best team ever, but if your coach is a choker it won't matter. That's why Marty is gone, he's had 3 great teams and he has a horrendous post-season record.

When it comes to players it's stupid to pay a player on what they've done, you pay them for what you think they'll do in the future. Obviously their past plays a role in that, but that isn't the only factor. You're not going to give Jerry Rice a mega deal because he's had a great history.

Marty's been bashing AJ ever since he's been fired, and all AJ has said is their views were galaxies apart. He finally responds and now he's classless? He's not the one that's taking all the cheap shots, I don't care who you are sooner or later you're going to respond if someone keeps trashing you.

How does Butler get the credit when he's gm but when AJ is the GM everyone else gets the credit?

I don't get your AJ hate, you go out of your way to praise everyone but AJ, when AJ's the GM it's everyone else that should get the credit, when he was the assistant gm it doesn't count even though you say he was the Buddy Nix of the Bills (because it was in the past???) but at the same time give Buddy Nix all the credit for AJ's job as a GM. Pick a side.

I guess AJ can't do anything to prove himself because according to you the Assistant GM does all the work they should get all the credit and since AJ is no longer an assistant he shouldn't get anymore credit. He's just a figure head, and losing in the SB 4 times isn't his fault, that's the coach's. He built a team talented enough to make it to the SB 4 times in a row. That's impressive no matter how you slice it.

BTW If it wasn't for AJ who knows if we'd even have a winning team right now.

Marty hired Dale, then when Dale gets fired he wants to hire his brother, but he got denied (2nd time) and AJ recommended Wade. Wade proceeded to turn our defense from a joke into a good defense in 1 season.

Marty was also responsible for running Seau and Rodney out of town, sure would of been nice to have at least Rodney now wouldn't it?

Oh but I'm sure that was AJ's fault somehow.

20. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

I think you got my argument twisted in the bold part. IM not saying that "this guy deserves praise" or "that guy screwed up everything".
    I am just saying:

1) Look at the foundation of this team....THAT was Butler's doing. You dont think the Texans would be doing alright with LT as a RB? This isnt just AJ's team.....it is MOSTLY though, i would concede.
    AJ has done fairly well in the draft.....he has picked some EXCELLENT talent, and this years crop has impressed me so far, but he has no better record than most other GMs...and he isnt even Phil Savage with his percentage.

2) AJ is being a hypocrite on a national stage, and is acting as a poor example. Hell, I love to see AJ play Dirty Poker with scumbag agents and uppity draft picks in the offseason, but trashing ex players and coaches in the media is as classless as mailing yourself cough syrup in my humble opinion. Why lower yourself like that, you won!....be gracious.
    I also dont recall the myriad of instances where Marty talked smack like that about AJ. AJ has a bully pulpit, and he should use it as a leader to help the team....not as a jerk off to further his personal vendettas.

3) As fans, do you know what Ed McGuire does for a living? What Buddy Nix does? What John Spanos does? What Dean Spanos does?
    I know that there are alot of VERY knowledgeable fans on this board....that is why I chose to lurk here....but AJ gets alot of credit for things that werent his doing. Praise the Front Office....praise Scouting....they deserve it just as much as AJ.

Ive seen the best and worst of Marty right next to you guys. It was his call to have Brees in the Broncos game.....I think he could have fixed the safety situation by cutting the right people at the right time, but he didnt. It was Marty who put Wes Welker on the Practice Squad where he was quickly signed away. Sure, it was done for Clinton Hart (who is a good player), but that move screwed us from day one and our return game hasnt been the same since. I could go on all day. Im not saying Marty is a God....I just said he is a good coach. I know that Wade was the spark behind the Defensive surge of 04 (and I knew that he would be). Marty deserves blame and praise, but not as much as he gets. Same story....Marty is no more the "coaching staff" than AJ is the "Front Office".

4) IF Buddy Nix isnt given credit for the success the Bolts have had, then why should AJ get credit for the success that the Bills had? That was all I was saying....Im not saying either man SHOULD be or SHOULDNT be. It would just make sense that, if one were true, so to would be the other.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Marty's gone, AJ is still here. Did AJ need to say anything? Not really, but neither did Marty. I don't really give a rat's *** about their feud, public or private. Neither of them are my idols or role models. AJ has done a good job bringing talent to the Chargers. Marty brought us a long way, but can't win the big one(s).

Just get us a Lombardi, dammit!!

BTW - I still think Marty is an arrogant SOB who chokes in the limelight & is too stubborn to recognize any way but his.

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Hey, Mr. Hooked on Phonics, it was Marty that said, "my record speaks for itself." That wasn't AJ. That's what Marty said in response to AJ. I think AJ would agree: Marty's 5-13 playoff record speaks for itself.

23. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I guess I haven't...where are they at?
    Marty is interviewed in this piece and takes the high road. If he's not, I'd like to see it.

24. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Marty's scoreboard is better than AJs. AJ's playoff record is 0-2. Marty at least won five times. AJ's teams regular season records are no where close to Marty's regular season records.

I like AJ as a GM and would also pick having him as a GM over Marty as a coach if that was the call, but its weak to say they things he said there. Just move on and talk about the future. Its almost as bad as Brees' rips on AJ in the ESPN magazine months after he left SD.

25. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    I can't believe we have a roster that is overflowing with so many players who can actually play at the NFL, we will have to cut them and people still have an issue with our GM.

Marty was good for this team, but how anyone can defend him after he let our coaching talent get gutted? That was total disregard for the teams well being. I'm all for people moving on (promotion), but he stood by and let our OC and DC go and their top replacements, you can't allow that many coaching losses. This was while our whole staff situation was in limbo. If Marty had done it right, we would have never lost Chud or Manusky they would have had a chance to replace Cam and Wade and our schemes and continuity would have been intact. I just think the way he handled things from the playoff game up to his firing, he has a little **** coming his way.

26. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Neither of those were done as a HC or as a GM. Fact.

27. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Exactly. Christ, by this moronic logic we should only hire retreads that have won a Super Bowl. Gimme a fricken break.

AJ Smith is the best GM in football. He has the corps of this team inked through 2011. Our team sent 11 players to Hawaii last season, largely because of moves that he made as our GM.

Like it or not, GM's are judged differently than HCs. Fact.

Let history play itself out.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

BLASPHEMY !!!

[​IMG]

29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :unsure: :unsure:

30. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    unfortunately we don't have a head coach, just a glorified OC. I'm sure AJ will share his opinion with Norv regarding the cuts. :lol: