1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ blasting Marty in USA Today

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LittleTrain, Aug 15, 2007.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    There are really only a few reasons left for people to discount AJ's gawdliness:

1. Drew Brees bitterness
    2. Marty Schottenheimer/Norv Turner bitterness
    3. Donnie Edwards bitterness

Any draft misjudgements he's made (Sammy Davis, really) have been easily superceded by the sheer amount of talent he's brought to this team, especially considering the gems he's found in the UDFA pool. (Like Gates (Pro Bowler/best TE in the NFL), Osgood (Pro Bowler), Dielman (future Pro Bowler), and Cooper (starter)). He's found a franchise QB, a franchise LB, and a franchise OLT - in three consecutive drafts. Name another GM in the NFL that has had that kind of impact, all the while ensuring his team is under contract for the next five years. There isn't a better scouting dept. in the NFL, and the old Head Scout has something to do with that.

In AJ I trust.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    They mentioned it during the broadcast the other night that you did not see. Marty did an interview where he talked about how unreasonable AJ was, how he tried to resolve things with AJ but that AJ wouldn't tell him what the problem was. So AJ has responded by letting everyone know what the problem was. I think Marty is playing stupid to make it appear that AJ is unreasonable.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Well put and agreed.

I have never pimped our GM's let alone our scouts and I been at it as long as the Chargers have been alive. 40+ years. Johnny Sanders and Tank Younger did good jobs but nothing like we are seeing today.

A.J. has one upped Scott Pioli in the personnel department and now needs to cash it in to claim reign as Supreme Master being and GOD by a run of Lombardi's. :yes:

4. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Yep. When - not if, when - this Charger team wins it all, it will ensure AJ's rightful place in the Charger firmament, at which point the streets will flow with the blood of the nonbelievers. :yes:

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Got to agree with this. I think AJ was just replying to yet another meddling media person asking him about the rift (again ad nauseum). I don't think it's a big deal, nothing we don't know. AJ does tell it like it is, and 5-13 speaks volumes. Like AJ, I was hoping we would win in the playoffs with the talent we have despite Marty's post season woes. I really didn't care for Marty in the first place, but Dean wanted an experienced coach, and this team at the time was just horrible. Marty can take a bad franchise (which we were) and make them respectable. He just can't take a respectable talented team to the next level in the playoffs. Got close with Cleveland, but that was it. Can Norv do it? I don't know. He doesn't have a great record as a HC either, but maybe he can get this team to win 1 freakin playoff game. At least we hope.

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Nice. :yes:

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Can't argue with a single word. The past is now immaterial, and eveyone involved with the team should be focused on this season and nothing else. Who cares about Marty at this point, the arguments are futile. We have the reality of opening against Chi Town and the Pats in our first two games. He has cut players from other squads and cuts from his squad to deal with. Norval doen't need any reminders about Marty.

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    If this is right, AJ response is okay. But now there are more important things to do, than speak over an Ex-coach

9. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I haven't seen or heard Marty doing "interviews" (plural) bashing AJ lately. Even if he was, I don't think our GM should be going back in time for a pissing contest right before our season starts. Marty isn't coaching anywhere else. He has nothing better to do. Our GM should.

If Marty's being doing all these "interviews" surely there is a link to a story somewhere. I've yet to see one.

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    You've also yet to see a replay of sunday night's broadcast. It was discussed during the broadcast.

AJ discussing Marty isn't a distraction to anyone but the fans. It's really not a big deal. But some people just need something to biatch about.

11. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Yep, I was going to mention this yesterday when I first saw this thread. Madden said "their galaxies must not be so far apart if they went 14-2 last year...".....which of course misses the entire freaking point AJ was trying to make. We're talking about playoffs here, not regular season.

Remember that Marty will be on tv this year, so tune in for some more AJ versus Marty discussions. You know it will come up again later this year on one of the broadcasts.

12. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    The key to "Martyball," like any strategy is knowing when to go with it, and knowing when to get away from it.

13. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    How come I'm getting flashes of the whole "were they in quarters" thread from a few days ago. As BB stated, it was during the same telecast of the Bolts on NBC Sunday night football.

:lol:

14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    A.J. wasn't running the show in Buffalo, he was Butler's assistant. And yeah, he doesn't have any championships, but I think he has shown that he can build a team. That team still needs to be coached properly, and the players need to make plays.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Get off of AJ's ***, he was asked a question and he answered it big fawking deal. I guess Marty's at home crying now cause big bad AJ sad bad things about him that just happen to be true.:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :yes: :clap:

17. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    AJ and Marty became my homies when they signed up for the Blue and Gold. Both men have affected my view of them by doing what they have done in their tenure with the team.
    At this point I have alot of respect for Marty and not a whole lot of respect for AJ.
    That said, neither gentleman has had pads on since God rested. I choose to "root for" the players and worry about their conduct.

When LT makes magic and acts like it is just another day at the office....that reflects on the team.

When Shawne puts a lick on the opposition and did the Lights Out dance, the crowd (and me in Montana) would go wild!

When Milligan came off the bench and said "See Ya" to the opposition at the offseason coin flip like he was a force in anything.....that made some fans shake their head and laugh.

When AJ talks smack about a former coach (and AT LEAST 2 former players) in the media in between buying flowery shirts and sipping Coronas.....that reflects on this team/orgaization too. Which player would that resemble out of LT, Shawne, or Hanik?

All I want to hear out of my coach is an injury report and the phrase "One play at a time.....one game at a time".

The less I hear from a GM, usually the more effective he is. Thanks for getting ALL of the draft picks signed in a timely fashion AJ. THAT is doing your job. Keep your feuds to yourself.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I think AJ's record of losing 4 superbowls do as well. Dont throw stones in the glass houses.

I just dont respect AJ talking crap and throwing Marty under the bus. He seimingly wants all the blame for the last seasons failure in the playoffs on Marty. OK, Marty was HC, but he was also the GM...

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I agree. I am not saying I hate AJ, just I dont respect his sudden trend of trash talking. It lowers him, IMO.

20. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    None of us knows the context of AJ's quote. Was there a set up question to get a response out of AJ?

There was disfuction all the way through the coaching staff, was that AJ's fault as well?

Marty screwed KC on the way out the door and he did the same thing to us, although Dean should have fired him 2 minutes after the Patriots loss.

edit: Dean should have fired Marty at the start of the forth quarter in the Patriots loss.

21. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    :icon_tease: LOL

22. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Laugh all you want, but that isnt an opinion I am used to hearing! You have been on the CMB plenty long to know that. I know that worshipping at the altar of AJ Smith would make me more friends on a Chargers forum....but that isnt how I feel about AJ. If I am going to worship someone from the Bolts, I assure you that person puts on pads on sunday.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I think he has been a stellar GM for us. I cant dispute that this is the most talented Chargers team I have ever seen.

He isnt a warm and fuzzy type guy, so be it. It just seems out of character for him to be bashing Marty in the press. Its over, move on AJ.

He is a great GM IMO, not a perfect one... But no one is perfect, right?

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,640
  25. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

So in order to get to and lose 4 superbowls those teams had to win how many playoff games???:icon_shrug:

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Don't trust what you read in the funny papers.:yes:

Columnists are terrible at changing up interviews to make it sound one way or another. Anything to sell your column for the day.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    No love lost with his parting...

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    You can sugar coat a turd and it's still a turd. AJ, chose not to sugar coat anything, he shoots from the hip.:bolt:

29. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Well put. :lol:

:icon_tease:

30. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

I think he has been a good GM....I dont begrudge him that. I think Binn is a good Long Snapper too, but I dont need him talking trash in the media. I agree with Foober too though...dont believe everything you read (and I dont).

Marty had as many flaws as the next guy, but his record isnt one of those things. I have seen MANY people post his record....his playoff record....but WE ALL KNOW that isnt even half of the story. Marty has won 200 games in this league. His Chargers teams won the AFC West twice while he was here.
    The fact that Marty was with the Browns and Chiefs during the Elway years shouldnt be held against him. I dont remember the Bolts having alot of success against Elway either during that time.