1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ finally owning up to his mistakes.......in his own way.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Feb 27, 2009.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...h-critical-performance-players79242/?chargers

Smith criticizes his performance, as well as that of some players
    By Kevin Acee
    Thursday, February 26, 2009

In the weeks after his team was once again eliminated from the playoffs too early, A.J. Smith came to this realization:

“We're not good enough to take on the big boys.”

The Chargers just didn't have the players to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers – to even come close, really.

They've been to the playoffs four of the past five seasons, but they've won just three games. They are six seasons into Smith's reign as general manager, and they've been to one AFC Championship Game. They have a group of players considered among the finest core in the league, but there are too many holes.

The GM believes he knows why.

“I'm not very pleased with my own contribution the last two years, personally,” Smith said Thursday. “I critique myself after every year. I need to do a better job. I'm not happy with some of the player personnel decisions that have been made. I need to do a better job.

“I need to pick up my game on my end. I'm very pleased with everyone else.”

In a wide-ranging news conference that ambled from the past to the present and into the future, Smith said he and the players he selects to be Chargers need to perform better.

“We went to the tournament and fell short again,” Smith said. “Looking back, we're not good enough yet. We'll go back to work. When will we be good enough? I wish I could look in the crystal ball and tell our fans that. ... We have to play better, get better players.”

Smith shed no light on the team's chances of retaining LaDainian Tomlinson. The sides have been remarkably mum since beginning negotiations last weekend on a restructured contract for the iconic running back.

“All I can tell you is everything is ongoing,” Smith said. “I've got nothing more to add at this time. But I will add this: We would love to have him. We hope he returns.”

The free agent period began at 9:01 Thursday night, and the Chargers will, as usual, watch and wait.

As for what he plans to do to be better, Smith was vague. Mainly, he wants to make better decisions. And he did put some of the onus on the players.

“We have some guys who have to step up now,” Smith said. “ ... We have a lot of guys who know they didn't perform.”

Smith said a handful of players have been told that the 2009 season will, essentially, be their last chance with the Chargers.

“I'm uncertain about a few guys,” Smith said.

He would not identify those players, but it is known that the upcoming season will determine the Chargers futures for cornerback Antonio Cromartie, receiver Buster Davis and linebacker Matt Wilhelm.

Cromartie (2006) and Davis (2007) were first-round Smith draft picks. After a record-breaking, 10-interception season in 2007, Cromartie was horrid last season, although he said he played part of the year with a fractured hip. Davis, plagued by injuries, has made just 24 receptions.

As he always does at his annual state-of-the-team address, Smith listed the team's offseason surgeries. Eight players have undergone minor procedures that are not expected to preclude them from participating in offseason workouts.

Only left tackle Marcus McNeill's neck surgery will keep him off the field until training camp in late July. McNeill played the entire season with bulging disks after a freak training camp collision.

“He should be absolutely fine,” Smith said.

The general manager also made reference to the premium he places on “character,” seemingly in response to the two DUI arrests this year – receiver Vincent Jackson in January and defensive tackle Jamal Williams this month.

“We've got some people that need to get their act together,” Smith said. “And they know who they are. ... We're patient, just like family. Like anyone else who has problems you don't just run them out the door. But there is always a point in time when it's over.”

Smith said the team has released linebacker Anthony Waters and practice squad running back Eldra Buckley.

Waters could arguably be considered the biggest draft bust in Smith's tenure. The third-round pick was taken as a project in 2007 after suffering an ACL tear in his final collegiate season. He had a setback with the knee before last season. He performed well in spot play in 2008, but there were concerns about some off-field issues.

At the very least, it is another entry on the list of poor decisions for which Smith criticized himself.

Smith's self-evaluation is inconsequential to his job security.

Smith, who signed a contract extension in January 2008 that will pay him more than $11 million between now and 2014, isn't going anywhere. He is given almost complete autonomy on football operations, and team President Dean Spanos continues to support him fully.

But with the preponderance of responsibility, Smith knows success or failure rests on his shoulders.

“We've got to find a way to win the AFC, get to the Super Bowl and hopefully get it done there,” Smith said. “We just have to find a way. After six years, we're not there yet. We have challenges ahead. We've got to get more players.”

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It's ALL on the players. The coach is doing a fantastic job. :rolleyes:

What a bunch of crap!!! :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    I just want to see some player's take charge, I haven't seen that on this team. kick *** if someone isn't doing their job, get the punk benched.

I know when I was involved with a sport and someone wasn't holding up their end of the deal, I let it be known. Don't make me look bad because you aren't happy.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And who's job is that?

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm glad to read these comments. Attitude is contagious and begins at the top. Why should the players take responsibility if the big guys at the top shy away from it...

• Like Like x 2
  6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Good point!!! :tup:

It IS a step in the right direction.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721

Yep.

The only thing I didn't like is not enough blame went on the coaches. I don't think Antonio Cromartie would be on the chopping block at all if not for the feather soft coverage they had him running last year, when he was 10+yds off his reciever.

Also when you bring up attitude, you have to bring up he fact that Norv Turner has NONE! The guy is a ****ing pansy.

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Finally owning up to his mistakes? :icon_huh:

It takes huevos to admit weaknesses. This is not the first time A.J. has called his own *** out.

A.J. holding himself ACCOUNTABLE should not surprise anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    ZACTLY!!!

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    and yet half the people on this board won't be happy until he commits hara kiri and blames himself for everything that went wrong.

Anyone else know of other GMs that call themselves to account at their own press conferences? Didn't think so. AJ is a damn good one

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    That is what makes him GAWD!

12. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

AJ is the man, no doubt.

He just had a new brand of toilet paper named after him...

Its rough and tough and dosen't take **** off of anyone...

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Maybe if AJ would be a little more active in the FA pool, he wouldn't need to apoligize for any of his mistakes lately from draft blunders..to undeserved contracts.

That being said, it might be as close to a fact that people wouldn't pay as much attention to things like that if we made a splash once in a while.

Now don't get me wrong AJ has done wonders for us, we just one more push to get to the big one.

That might be a Mike Brown/Atari Bigby/Mike Peterson.

Make it happen AJ

:tup:

14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

WORD !!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And I suppose that bringing DFlo back would be a step in the right direction for AJ? :icon_shrug: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: