1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ fuming and ready to kick more ***

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +449
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    AJ speaketh-

“I was convinced something was wrong,” Smith says. “It wasn't just that we weren't playing well. The team, in my opinion, was going south – fast – in their belief of the system and strategy. I thought this team was at the breaking point of being lost. I felt we were on the brink of collapse in attitude and desire.

“Coach Turner and I had been concerned for weeks, and the two of us were on the same page all the way through. I was convinced it was slipping away, and after Buffalo and New Orleans, I could see it and feel it.”

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    More-

“You can print what you want,” Smith said. “It's the truth. It's how I feel. It's how I felt. I believe our spirit was broken by the defense and was carrying over to other parts of the team. I could feel the last bit of air and fire coming out of our football team.”

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    And finally-

So, now that Ron Rivera, an experienced hand with Super Bowls on his resume as a coach and player, has taken over Cottrell's command, excuses are over. It's up to the players now. They're on the clock.

“I think there's fight left,” Smith says. “I know Shawne Merriman is missed; a terrific player, a great player, is missing. But you move on. Go! I don't think the players believed in our way of attacking and a lot of us were unhappy with the (defensive) game plans. Something was very wrong, and the Chargers organization reacted to it. This issue was building – building. The head coach was not happy with the direction of the defense and neither was I.

“But the players have to be held accountable. The players are on notice. Some of you may lose your jobs, or maybe you'll alternate, or maybe you won't be here next year. You're a Charger one year at a time. There are some prideful guys here. Let's make a run at this thing. We're still within striking distance of a title.”

Smith is not innocent. These are his players, who he constantly has praised for their good character, and Cottrell was his guy. Nor is Turner, who, as overseer of 3-5, spotted a problem and can only hope he didn't wait too long to fix it.

As Smith says, his team's health bill is clean for the first time this season. It's in a bye week, with awful Kansas City up next. If Rivera can just get his defense to make a few stops now and then, put and end to long drives and terrible red zone efficiency, then what has been a good offense can be even more productive with additional opportunities.

San Diego has lost five games by a total of 24 points.

“We were deficient getting off the field and getting the ball back in our offense's hands,” Smith says. “It's remarkable what our offense has done, given the amount of time it's had the ball.

“I don't know the outcome, and neither do you. We'll know in eight games. A lot of times you can lose your fight and spirit. You need something to believe in. That's what this decision is all about.”

Then, with a sigh, he concludes: “We have lost our elite status.”

They have. But it's not too late to see what these Chargers are made of.

6. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
  7. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...The second paragraph here is interesting. They were concerned for WEEKS? I hope the Ron Rivera promotion didn't come two games too late. At least the Bolts have 5 at home while the Donks have 5 on the road.

8. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Damn man AJ pretty much says it all and I've never heard him put it down like this.

Good ****. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    If the dude doesn't win a Championship with the Bolts... it won't be for lack of trying. :bolt:

10. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744

The damn defense better step up now. It's all on them to go out there and play up to their abilities. Especially, Igor, Luis, Cro, & Philips.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    Might come from if he does this again in hiring his friends who can't do their jobs

• Like Like x 1
  12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well said. :yes:

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Glad to hear that he and Norv at least SAW what we all saw for the first 8 weeks of the season. I was beginning to wonder if they really were blind to it. Now the players have control of their own destiny and a coach they can believe in. Let's just hope our bye week didn't come too late!

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Which I think still falls in the category of "Trying". :lol:

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    I can't understand why in hell Norv and AJ took so long to pull the plug. If they were questioning what was going on, didn"t they go directly to the source and ask TC what he was doing?????:icon_shrug::icon_huh:

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think the players have biitched about Ted from day one. I never got the sense they loved the guy and would run through a wall for him. But things just worked out last year. But this year, when Merriman went down, Cooper was out, and all of the other injuries occurred, Teddy couldn't figure out how to make it work. So guys biitched more than usual AND they didn't play well.

perhaps AJ and Norv thought the play would somehow get better (but the biitching would never stop). They could live with that.

When it didn't happen... well... :conc:

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    True, but we're not talking about newbies. AJ and Norv are long time NFL connected. We the fan's have been scratching our head's and asking questions.

I hate to say it, but it may be to little to late. I hope I'm wrnog.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm guessing pretty hard that the problem with hanging onto cottrell for as long as they did was the loyalty thing. NIce attribute to have unless its killing you.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Or, Cottrell is a good liar.:icon_shrug:

20. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Glad AJ had the stones to make the switch now, rather than after the season as is his usual style. All excuses aside now fellas. We'll see who the real ballers are!

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Of course loyalty was a primary factor in delaying the decision. I never discounted that... I just figured it goes without saying.

Bottom line is that the on-field results (and # of losses) exceeded the off-field biitching and moaning. :bolt:

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
    and friendship, let's not forget this is business
    but I do kinda wonder whether in AJ's heart he believes its more the fault of Cottrell or this 'temper tantrum', though rightly deserved, is because he blames the players more

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Like I said a few weeks ago!! Loyalty is overrated, it often only gets you in more trouble.

24. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah, look at what thirty years of loyalty to the Chargers has gotten me...

• Like Like x 1
  25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

:icon_rofl:

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cottrell should have never been here, period.

I agree.

AJ can own the decision to hire Cottrell all on his own. Screw him for NOT seeing this & acting on it sooner. :icon_evil:

27. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Its a great read full of "straight from the shoulder" talk - if you just take Nick Canapeas out of it!!! :)

-----
    “I was convinced something was wrong,” Smith says. “It wasn't just that we weren't playing well. The team, in my opinion, was going south – fast – in their belief of the system and strategy. I thought this team was at the breaking point of being lost. I felt we were on the brink of collapse in attitude and desire.

“Coach Turner and I had been concerned for weeks, and the two of us were on the same page all the way through. I was convinced it was slipping away, and after Buffalo and New Orleans, I could see it and feel it.”

“You can print what you want,” Smith said. “It's the truth. It's how I feel. It's how I felt. I believe our spirit was broken by the defense and was carrying over to other parts of the team. I could feel the last bit of air and fire coming out of our football team.”

“I think there's fight left,” Smith says. “I know Shawne Merriman is missed; a terrific player, a great player, is missing. But you move on. Go! I don't think the players believed in our way of attacking and a lot of us were unhappy with the (defensive) game plans. Something was very wrong, and the Chargers organization reacted to it. This issue was building – building. The head coach was not happy with the direction of the defense and neither was I.

“But the players have to be held accountable. The players are on notice. Some of you may lose your jobs, or maybe you'll alternate, or maybe you won't be here next year. You're a Charger one year at a time. There are some prideful guys here. Let's make a run at this thing. We're still within striking distance of a title.”

“We were deficient getting off the field and getting the ball back in our offense's hands,” Smith says. “It's remarkable what our offense has done, given the amount of time it's had the ball.

“I don't know the outcome, and neither do you. We'll know in eight games. A lot of times you can lose your fight and spirit. You need something to believe in. That's what this decision is all about.”

“We have lost our elite status.”

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Again - AJ can own this one. Cottrell was hired based upon the Buffalo connection. For whatever reason, the NYJ & Minny years were overlooked.

Go figure ....

29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He'd had success with him in the past. You tend to hire those you trust, better the devil you know than the one you don't. He finally did the right thing. Based on last years performance, there was not a demonstrated need to go in a different direction until recently. I still think Norval was the motivating factor here.

30. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Like, how many weeks?

Wonder if those players will improve 'lots'. Will we be able to see the turnaround in them?