1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ gets "ripped" on NFL LIVE 10-7-09

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I was watching NFL LIVE wednesday afternoon, and Mark Schlareth, and Herm Edwards called out AJ in a segment devoted to the Bolts, by ripping him for criticizing the team to the media, and instead should be addressing the team privately for their bad defensive play.

They seemed to think the Bolts could turn this around, and the problems could be fixed, but AJ needs to step up himself, and direct his rants to the players he drafted, not the media.

Cool segment. They were right. For all we know AJ did do this to the team privately, but they felt the media rant was not the way to reach them. :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  2. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19

Just curious, when did AJ rip the defense in the media?

3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    My thoughts exactly. He had some quotes that were critical and claimed that they need to play better, but nothing extreme. Don't really know what they are talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    ESPN is running out of ILOVEFAVRE material and AJ rarely speaks? :icon_shrug:

I cannot imagine any of what AJ said it news to the players/coaches anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Here's a link to the ESPN video

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4539657&categoryid=2378529

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I usually see Schlereth as pretty fair. Herm is a fool.

This is a Chargers' issue - I really don't give a rat's *** what the mediots have to say.

7. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    The team needs to know that even the GM thinks they suck.

If I was embarrassed to be a Charger fan on Sunday, how does anyone expect AJ to feel?

Hell I'm still ashamed to be a bolt fan. This team has been a failure all season long. I'm tired of the same story year in and year out about how they are healthy now. or how they understand the scheme more and how they are so deep and talented. SHOW IT! I'm tired of watching a team that doesn't show up 'till the third quarter!!

I'm also running out of patience with Norv. I have never been a Norv fan but a lot of fans supported him and made a case for him. But since day 1 of his hiring this team has been soft. This team used to punch other teams in the mouth, not anymore. We need a coach that is going to be commited to run succesfully! With a balanced attack this team would be unstoppable.

end of rant.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    I agree with what Herm said.

AJ needs to tell the coaches and the players how he feels, and help fix the problems.

The issue is, AJ was correct in what he said too... Oh well, f'it just win the damn games!

9. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    But, one thing we don't know is if AJ had all ready told the players and coaches how he feels about how the team is playing. If he hasn't then he is dead wrong.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    He could very well have told them in private but don't forget AJ Smith also probably needed to tell the PUBLIC, the fans, US(!!!) that yeah we're not blind, that this team does look sad, and improvements need to be made.

So if it alleviated the fans' concerns and put the players doubly on notice, then its all good

11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    everything CAN be fixed..... just get merriman and castillo two needles and two whizzinators.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    Ok, so I didn't realize what ESPN was talking about until watching the video. I'm still not sure if he was out to rip the team. I mean was he just answering questions from the tribune? The article is very vague, goes back and forth from quotes from AJ and rambling rants from the union tribune, and doesn't have a whole lot of point except opinion of the writer.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/06/n99433-chargers-canepa06/?chargers

If it was an interview, my guess is the questions were left out and the answers were emphasized.
    UT - AJ, is there anything specific that bothers you about how the team is playing through these injuries? (we'll leave out the question in the article)
    AJ - “Everything bothers me right now and there's not much we can do. You can make trades (trading deadline's Oct. 20) or go on the street, but all you can do is tweak in football – during the season. You can lose your job and the players are still here.” (and make sure we include the answer)

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    AJ Smith deserved to be ripped. He goes attacking the players and coaches, but seems to take NO blame himself.

Great offseason AJ. Picking up Burnett dropping Igor. No great coaching staff being hired except maybe the assistant coach. Our O-line coach seems questionable at best. Our D-line and linebacker coaches don't have my confidence.

Yea AJ build through the draft. I love those players. We might not sign Merriman, lets get an OLB who needs help. Need a DE? Lets pickup a project from Canada. A WR who was in a car accident. A RB that we don't need and can't sign.

Problem with AJ Smith he tries to draft the best player he thinks is available all the while passing up team needs. He is plan works when you have a ****** team and your rebuilding, but not as a SB contender.

Burnett isn't a great LB. Merriman is still hurt. We have ONE decent player on our Defensive line. Our Guard has potential, but needs A LOT of work. Clary is about an average O-linemen. We have one blocking TE. We have no real FB. LT isn't the RB he used to be. Sproles isn't great at the LOS. Burnett who is as old as LT is our only option. NO longer an elite running game.

Hart is our safety. Our backup is Gregory who is FIGHTING FOR TIME. Ellison is almost better than these guys and we drafted him in the late rounds. Cromarite is a joke of a CB.

We have huge gaps especially in the trenches, the most important part. When your O-line gets pushed and your D-line gets pushed your team gets pushed around. The fact that the Steelers have bigger O-linemen then just about anyone we have on the D-line (and we run a 3-4?) means they don't even get push one v one.

Sending 6 guys blitzing all the time could be the plan. Too bad Hart and Cromartie shouldn't be starting.

AJ Smith this is YOUR FAULT. You have failed to pickup any starting calibre players for a LONG TIME. You give players with a couple of good games HUGE contracts. YOU got the coaching staff.

AJ Smith should have been fired, we should of kept Marty. Norv could be assistant HC/OC Ron Rivera could be DC. Great staff right there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CasualKnowledge

Ratings:
    +19
    Igor had dropped off and isn't even starting in Dallas. Burnett is pretty disciplined and good compared to last years inside. With a 7th round pick why not take a chance and get someone who might recover in a year, you're not going to get a stud of any kind. Vaughn Martin is actually a good pick that has a chance to be something special. Other teams were drooling after they found out who he was and how late the chargers picked him. English has already shown signs of being a good pick, pass rush was a problem last year, and where would we be with merrimans slightly longer recovery with out him? Regarding AJ the only thing I'll agree on you is Gartrell Johnson, didn't really need him in a 4th round pick. As far as I know it's AJ making most of the draft decisions for the past 4 years. Can you find another GM who finds guys like sproles in the 4th round, NaaNee in the 5th, VJ late 2nd, and Michael Turner in the 5th? I'm honestly worried about scouting and drafting if AJ ever leaves.

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    If the team took AJ's comments as a "rip" then they are just a bunch of sissies. AJ's comments were no worse that what Norv said.

16. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Still doesn't make it right to put all the blame on the player's and none to himself.

I think LT needs to step up and take control of this team because it's becoming a disaster.

Merriman and Cromartie wont ****ing shut up either. Shut the **** up!!!!

17. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Rock on!!!

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723

AJ did everything he could within' the Chargers budget and the salary cap to get the best players he could. On paper the Chargers should be A LOT better than they are, they have talent in all phases in the game THANKS TO AJ!

At some point we reach the salary cap limit with all this talent, so theres only so much room AJ has to make a big offseason signing or a trade. I don't blame him for going the cheaper route and building depth through the draft. Do you want to keep Rivers? Do you want to keep Jackson? Do you think its important to keep McNeil? These are all guys who were and are still in contract years.

What it comes down to is the players executing, to the players being prepared, to the players showing heart! All of which they have failed miserably at the first 4 games. If they are not mature enough to handle being called out publicaly without throwing a ***** fit, then I don't want them here anyway. Its time for these guys to act like grown *** men and take some accountability.

So in short I completly disagree with you.

19. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    A.J. is an egomanic that rode on John Butler's coattails.it was Butler that got this team turned around and pointed in the right direction and A.J. rode that momentum and had people believing he was a genious. maybe he has a good football mind, maybe not but i think his ego was/is his downfall and the teams detriment.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Hey... we agree on something.

AJ, STOP CALLING COACHES AND PLAYERS OUT TO THE MEDIA!!!
    WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, CALL YOURSELF OUT TOO!!!

21. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Herm Edwards: Super Bowl teams coached= 0
    Herm Edwards: Win-Loss record as a head coach= 54-74

An insiration to mediocre coaches everywhere.
    You tell em Herm!

22. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Umm Pittsburgh?

23. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +185
    AJ said what every fan is thinking or talking about over a cold beer. Herm Edwards... just WTF have you done lately- other than get fired and taking a cushy job as an opinion-spouting talking head?

You're telling AJ to STFU? Why don't you STFU?

Edwards tells AJ to fix the problem... the problem is Norv Turner so then AJ needs to fire the head coach.

24. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +185
    I totally concur... Norv has Puzzified this team.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Herm was nothing special as a HC but I still think he's right. It doesn't take a Vince Lombardi to figure this out.

26. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Maybe he told the team in private first and Shawne did not hear because he was tweeting our something?

They all need to STFU!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    AJ said nothing extreme or out of line. Edwards and the rest of them are trying to gin up controversy. The players have made the same kind of remarks about themselves, Norval has made these remarks and they've been all over the local press. The solution is for the players to buckle their chin straps a little tighter and play football. We'd be 3-1 if only these dolts would just quit missing tackles, not to mention the blown assignments.

• Like Like x 1
  28. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    nah dude

29. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

It's all over the web. Haven't you read the various articles???

30. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I believe he most likely did address the team, or at least Norv, and Ron.

I was just happy they were talking about the Bolts instead of Rex Ryan, Brady, Favre, Manning, blah, blah, blah :tdown: