1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

AJ is hurting this franchise. No more denying!

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Josh McDaniels has his team at 5-0 and we have more talent on our team (after finishing with an 8-8 season prior).
    John Harbaugh got his team to the AFC Championship in his first season (after finishing with a 4-10 season prior).
    Ken Whisenhunt got his team to the Super Bowl in his second season as HC (after finishing with an 8-8 season prior).
    Mike Tomlin got his team to the Super Bowl and won it in his second season.

Why the **** do we have Norv Turner?
    He has more NFL coaching experience than all these coaches combined and has been horrible everywhere. No point denying that Norv was AJ's choice.

I don't know about you guys but I'm not confident in our chances next Monday at all. No, that does NOT mean I want us to lose. I'm not going to blindly pimp our team though! :icon_evil:

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Norv Turner was hired how many years ago?

You present this thread title and body like he's done something new to hurt this team.

Until the offseason comes and goes and Norv Turner is stiill the HC (Heaven forbid...) what purpose does this serve?

Or have you changed your stance on whether or not it's prudent to fire a HC mid season?

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726

You know how people say the Chargers are "the best team on paper" or "the most talented team in the AFC" all the time? Well thats all AJ can do, he can only make us good on paper, and I do see talent at every facet of the game.

Sooner or later you hand those players over to the coaches, and you expect those players to live up to expectations. So I'm not sure how much you can blame on AJ for this. I put it more on the coaching for not having them prepared, and the players themselves for not producing.

4. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Take it to the out house and flush it. :tdown:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    AJ brought in Norv for so-called continuity reasons and Ted because he's AJ's Butty!

As much as I hated the Norv hire from the start, I drank the Kool-Aid (purely in hope) and it tasted terrible. Now it's poisoning.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726

To play devils advocate....Norv was the only coach we interviewed with any head coach experience. For a team that was coming off a 14-2 season and has Super Bowl aspirations, it'd take balls to hire a rookie HC.

That said, Rex Ryan was my boy from day 1. I was so excited to see his scheme with this talent, and AJ hired the polar opposite.

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

Same, Rex was the guy I was hoping for as well, and I was sure that we'd be getting him after listening to his interviews. He actually sounded like someone who wanted the job. But, it was then revealed that he wanted Donnie Henderson as his DC rather than Teddy The Hutt, so he never really had a chance.

Water under the bridge now though, we're stuck with Norvall now.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Well who's stupid fault was that? Marty was in the last season of his contract. Let him finish and then make a decision. Or can him immediately after the season as opposed to waiting till mid April.

Yes, only Spanos can give somebody a pink slip or put someone on the payroll but I don't believe for one second that AJ had no part of this.
    AJ wanted Marty gone from the start and I don't believe that Spanos wanted Norv. He just trusted in AJ like the rest of us.

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Quit your *****ing.

1. The Broncos started 4-1 last season.
    2. The Ravens were 5-11 in 07, but 13-3 the year before. They had no QB in 07, while they had Flacco in 08 plus a real offensive coordinator in Cameron, and their defense played poorly in 07.
    3. Whisenhunt's regular season record with the Cardinals (19-17) big deal he took a 9-7 team to the SB in a weak NFC, Norv took us to the Championship game and only got beaten by the 16-0 Patriots when his team was decimated by injuries and the game was still close.
    4. Tomlin inherited a SB caliber team, as in a team that had already won one. Plus they maintained the best or at least one of the best D-Coordinators in the NFL who has had that defense in the top 3 4 of the last 5 years in points allowed.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    If we lose to Denver next week Norv's job is on the line against KC in week 7. If we lose to KC....Norv is out before he exits the stadium.

If we get embarrassed by the Broncos......I'm down with firing Norv in week 6. You will never hear me say that, because I hate conceding and entire season when the division is so winable.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Keep praying for another meltdown, Mr. Denial!!! :lol:

12. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    AJ wanted Marty fired right after the season. It was Dean who wanted to hang onto him, and only until Marty started to sabotage the coaching staff did Dean finally pull the trigger. By then we lost 4 of our best coaching assistants.

And I don't know how many times I have to say this but we were not 14-2 good, LT had a ridiculous season, to expect anything close to that would be expecting LT to have another monster season. We were 12-4 and 9-7 with LT having an average LT type of year. 21-11 or an average of 10.5 wins (Norv averaged 9.5 his 1st 2 seasons plus he's gotten farther in the playoffs.)

Norv hasn't had LT anywhere near as good as 06, he's only had one decent year (11-5) and hasn't been anywhere near as effective since.

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Don't feed the troll.

B4L, you've officially become a troll here.

14. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Never drank the kool-aid, have always thought Norv was a TERRIBLE coach, and if we don't fire him and get a smashmouth coach we are always going to be mediocre.:flag:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I know all of this but how about this... Who did Marty have for Receiving? With Floyd on IR and McCardell sitting out for the last few game (including the playoffs), who did he have left?
    Osgood, Camarillo, Jackson (in his rookie season), and Parker.

So don't go telling me that Mary had so much more to work with than Norv. That's ridiculous! Find someone less intelligent to feed that to!

16. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Um, that's a fact. Unlike you I actually look at them instead of looking like an idiot and overreacting.

We know the Broncos won't choke again, but we also shouldn't be a 8-8 team again, **** if we win out we still win the division so I don't see why people are freaking out.

The Broncos have played 3 of their easiest teams on their schedule, they haven't played the Steelers, Ravens yet (the 2 games after their bye). Plus they still have the Giants, Colts, and Eagles on their schedule, and that isn't even including the 2 head to head matchups.

We have the 2 Bronco games, the Eagles and Giants, Cowboys, Bengals.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Coming from people who don't like the truth.

18. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Norv was the last coach I wanted, I wanted Singletary, but that doesn't mean I'm going to just blindly bash Norv because I never wanted him here (unless it was to be OC).

**** my dream scenario, Norv gets demoted to OC (won't happen but it'd be nice), Wade gets fired by the Boys and becomes our DC, and we find a Leader smashmouth type of guy to become HC.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure we can stop any of those teams from putting up 30 on us.

Barber, Jacobs/Bradshaw, Westbrook, and Cedric Benson will ram the ball down our freakin throats. Moreno is no joke either, kid has talent. If our D can't take a MASSIVE step forward really fast, we are in danger of going 7-9 or 8-8 again.

20. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Our defense isn't that awful. Westbrook isn't a run you over type of back and isn't that fast, the Giants will probably give us trouble unless we correct things. Not sold on Benson, Moreno is a rook and fumble prone, and the Cowboys are awful, Barber may run us over but Romo would make up for it by fumbling a couple times and throwing a few picks.

Our defense struggles with big physical type of backs, but even when we played the Dolphins we didn't give up that many points.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    A) The Dolphins are completely one dimentional, and they lost their QB in the 3rd quarter.

B) We are ranked 27th against the run right now.

C) Most of those RB's we face are big and physical. Barber is the epidomy of physical, he will run over us like wet toilet paper.

D) Benson racked up 130yds against PITTSBURGH, and he had a great week last week against BALTIMORE, what do you mean you arn't sold?

22. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    We had Gates and LT in his prime, those offenses consistently ranked among the best in the NFL, plus he had a healthy defense.

Norv had LT, Gates and Rivers hurt in the playoffs and still was able to do something Marty never did here.

23. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    A) They have a great run offense, they came no where close to 30 points and that was even with Pennington.

B) Yes I know this, but last time I checked, you don't only play defense.

C) The Cowboys suck, Barber could run all over us, doesn't mean he will. The Cowboys should of run over the Chiefs, but barely won that game.

D) Benson has never had a great season, excuse me for not being sold that he's a great RB after only 5 games. Especially when we won't face him until week 15. PS those yards were against Baltimore, not Pitt.

24. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +100
    I dont see the Chargers stepping up. They stink and it absolutely makes me sick. I honestly thought Norv had the talent to get it done this year. He may have play calling skills but he obviously has zero motivational skills. You have to have your players respect and confidence in you as a coach. He shows no emotion and there are way to many proven and better coaches out there. Cower?

25. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Cowher wants the Panthers, close to home (at least that's the assumption).

I wanted Singletary because of his motivational skills, but I think our entire coaching staff being gutted hurt his chances, since he wasn't really a great D-coordinator and we needed to put together a new staff. IMO it probably would of been different if Cam stayed and only Wade left, then there would of been no need for another offensive guy which would of left Rivera, Ryan or Singletary.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: I love it.

27. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    No question that Norv (and maybe AJ) will be gone if the Chargers fail to go deep into the playoffs. But for now we all need to chill out and support what we have. There really is no use wishing for his and AJ's head each and every week. It will not happen. Besides who the heck can we get right now during the season? I for one don't want to blow things up right now only to get an interim coach in here, then replace him again with someone else.

Give the season a chance folks. We're 2-2 with a bunch of football games left.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    True.

But were dead last in rushing, and 25th in defense, you can't blame people for being skeptical.

29. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I agree, I think for sure this will be Norv's final shot, I think AJ still has a little more leeway.

Give Norv the season, if he fails again, then he's gone and you get your wish. If he succeeds then that's a win as well.

People will claim the window is closing but we have a young stud at QB signed long term, we have a stud WR which I presume will be extended. RB will be the glaring hole next season, but we also won't be franchising Sproles and returning LT at his high salary so that will open up payroll.

If Merriman is gone, English hopefully replaces him, Cason is better than Cro, hopefully we draft a NT or stud DT since this draft will be loaded with them, and maybe find a safety somewhere and we'll be in pretty good shape.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

They're not receivers! And you don't think that not having McCardell and Floyd in the playoffs didn't hurt?

Keep waving your Norv pom poms and screaming "97 AFC Championship Attendee!" Maybe that satisfactory for this era to you but not to me and most other fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.