1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ is hurting this franchise. No more denying!

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I don't either. I'm sure we'll get better but but we're back to slow starts. Even if we do get into the playoffs, I don't see us getting to the Super Bowl.

If not, I hope Spanos makes a clean sweep. Except maybe keep our special teams coach if possible. lol

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Brian Billick pretty much orgasms when he talks about The Chargers, has more often than not flat out said we have the best franchise in the league. He's eyein' this job.

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    No Denying that The Spanos are the ones Hurting the Franchise not AJ Smith. It all Starts and Ends from the Very Top.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Well am reading through all these posts, and I was actually wondering how many of you miss having Lorenzo Neal in front of our running game?

I know ever since we started going to the 2 TE, single back sets (Norv Turner special) Our running game is atrocious....you tell me.

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Your complaints are and have been legit. But what can we do right now? This is the same stuff that was brought up last year when we were 4-8. Just earlier this time. There is nothing we can do except to cheer on the TEAM. If Norv is destined to be replaced, then it will happen. For now let's just hope that things get turned around.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yup. AJ felt he didn't fit into Norv's play calling. :icon_evil:

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Of course none of us have the power to do anything (besides cheer our team or stop cheering our team) but bringing our opinions is what this forum is for.

Before we turn things around, we have to become a TEAM.

8. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +100
    Do you think his style would fit? I'm not against him.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I absolutely think it would. This is why...

One complaint that Baltimore fans had was that he was suppose to be an offensive guru. I think he got the offense that he had working good. I also think the realized that he had a team dominate by defense so changed his style as necessary.

Another reason is that as egotistical as he might be, he knows his limitations. During his time, there were many coaches being both HC and GM. In an interview, he was asked if he would consider that His answer was "no, because those two jobs are too big for one person."

How about this... if (now suddenly a big IF) Marvin Lewis gets canned, Billick for HC and Lewis for CD!!! :abq2: :abq1:

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Lorenzo was cut by the Ravens and picked up by the Raiders who cut him. What does that tell you about him now?

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    That isnt going to happen they are going to bring in someone else who you dont like, that we can get more of these great threads after each loss.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But he played a full season for the Ravens and did them well. All my friends back in Baltimore thanked me.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This I can agree with. Spanos gave AJ all the power. :icon_evil:

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    The Chargers didn't attend the "97 AFC championship" unless they bought a ticket. :icon_rofl:

That game was Denver & Pittsburgh.:yes:

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I love Billick and would hire him in a heartbeat. Hes a great motivator, and one thing i love is that he was always to find great assistants. Personally, if AJ fires norv at the end of the year, Billick is my top choice if he decides to hired a "re-tread" coach again. But i think if that happened, we should keep Ramsdell or Chud and make one of them the OC and keep rivera as the DC, BUT, get rid of this 4-3 crap and let him run HIS defense!!

16. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    As for AJ...
    AJ has made 3 major mistakes that are killing this team

1 - He hired a proven loser as a head coach. Dont get me wrong, i like norv and would love to have him as the OC, but this team seems to be very weak minded and need a leader. Not sure why grown men who make millions to play a game need someone else to motivate them, but they do. He also doesnt keep them in check during the season. I dont know how many times i see these guys out on a friday night before a game. Before the buff game last year, one of my friends who lives in NY called me and told me he was partying with them at 3am on friday night. WTF. someone needs to get these guys in check, and thats not norv. Great X's/O's coach, but not a leader

2 - AJ is too keen on flashy players and seems to refuse to beef up this teams lines. Its always been said that you win games in the trenches, and in the past 6 years, hes drafted ONE linemen in the 1st round. ONE! Sure vasquez and martin were good starts this year, but why wait til the 3rd/4th rounds to beef up the lines? Why not go out and get Michael Oher to replace Clary in the 1st round? Im sure there was great pass rushers available in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I know its all hindsight, but it didnt take a rocket scientist to realize our OL needed help back in april. Also, we have all known for years that Jamal is getting old and could break down at any moment, so why did it take til this years 4th round to find a backup for him? Vaughn martin might have great potential, but at this point, hes WAY to raw to even be on the active roster and should be a practice squad player (yes i know he would get picked up if we tried to place him on there). Sure NTs are impossible to find, but to not even TRY to find one? Thats pretty bad

3 - He doesnt seem to realize that you dont replace a legend with average situational. LT has been getting older, is 30 now, has been hurt the past couple of years, and yet what has AJ done to replace/compliment him? Franchising a 3rd down back and drafting a couple slow, averaged sized "power" backs is suppose to be the answer? I love sproles, but hes a situational player. Sure hes great in that role, but hes not an everydown back and should be expected to be one and shouldnt be paid like one. And giving up a 2nd rounder to get a glorified FB? Im still trying to figure that one out. hester might of been ok in college, but you dont find very many 220lb RBs with 4.6 who are difference makers in the NFL. Sure hes a nice player for his role, but is he even as good as say Peyton Hillis who was taken 4 rounds later? And Really, gartrell Johnson?? Anyone who watched him in college could see he didnt have the speed to play in the NFL, and at 220lbs, again, hes not this great power back that is going to be another Burner turner. There were much better all purpose backs available and yet AJ was just trying to find a power-only RB.

Now are those 3 things enough to get him fired? MAYBE, but i wouldnt. He has shown that he can find talent, he just needs to find some talent for our lines and get us another RB, and most importantly, a coach who can who can get them ready to play every week. I think hes earned AT LEAST 1 more year, but he better work out those 3 things!

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    You should go to a Bears board and ask about Rivera. I think you will be suprised at what you recieve. I know this....if Norv gets canned after this year i dont want Rivera replacing him. Dont really want Billick either.

18. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Not really sure what the bears fans would complain about, but in the final 2 years he was the DC, they had the #1 and 3 scoring defense, and the #2 and 5 defense in terms of yards. Since he left, they havent been higher than 16th in either category

Is he the next dick lebeau? Probably not, but give him some good players and let him coach HIS defense, and hes one of the better DCs in the NFL

As for Billick, i think hes a good coach for a "quick fix", hes one of these guys that can come in, motivate a team, get them ready and have them produce, but like any kind of coach like that, the team will eventually grow tired of his speeches and start to tune him out, but i think hes good as a guy to come in and fix this team in the short term

19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I was suprised myself but there were complaints and they were interesting to read. Of course there was also one guy that said Lovey was a defensive genius and he had crap defenses in St Louis.

20. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Who cares what Bears fans say? If you listened to Charger fans you would of thought that Vincent Jackson was injury prone and a bust after 2 season, Sproles sucked and shouldn't have made the 53, we should of signed Merriman before him proving he was healthy, Brees sucks, Cameron was an awful OC etc.

Oh and there was the LT was a 3rd down back on the UT board during his record breaking season.

21. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Well what playoffs are you talking about?

04: McCardell played.
    05: We didn't make the playoffs, VJ's rookie season.
    06: We had Jackson, Parker, and Gates even though you refuse to acknowledge him as a receiver.

I'm not even sure why having receivers matters, haven't receivers doesn't mean a SB win. LT was running all over the Pats. We didn't need receivers in that game.

You must prefer succeeding in the regular season since you're *****ing about Norv taking us the deepest we've been in the playoffs since Ross was here. You can have your regular season glory, I'd rather have success in the playoffs.

Think about it Marty had a 12-4 team and 14-2 team, and neither time won in the playoffs, Norv did it with an 8-8 team.

22. ThunderNLightning

ThunderNLightning BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I concur. i think AJ was lured into the fact that Norv told him he would bring in Rivera coming off a SB team in chicago where Defense was the focal point....but we see how thats worked out...im not a complete norv hater...

he's just not a head coach. he coached up aikman in dallas, got alex smith to play half a season in San Francisco...and brought Rivers into the elite QB discussion....but he whiffed in oakland(but so does everybody) but we bring him in an ugh...he's a QB coach/o coord. nothing more

we shoulda won the SB back in 08. If norv didnt play the pats scared with that "lets kick a field goal to stay in it mentality" gettin into the redzone 4 times an coming away with 4 fields goals...u have to go for it NORBIT TURNER!!! teams are waaaay too good especially in a late playoff game for u to kick field goals....u gotta score a TOUCHDOWN u play to win not to "stay" in it!

The "window" has definately closed, but with a few adjustments we can open it up again but not with the current management/staff and this 53 man roster put together by AJ.

we can get this thing turned around and punch back everyone who gave up on us an saying we should blow up the team when are div. is weak...broncos are in the lead but havent played us well in the past few years...and the other teams ...

KC is atrocius and raiders...dysfunctional family....red head step child from montana...

23. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Kind of tough to score in the redzone when our 2 biggest redzone weapons were injured (Gates and LT). Tough to lose because we played so well in that game though.

This will be Norv's final shot to prove he can do it. Man I wish we could just have him as the OC but no way he'll take the demotion.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,251
    Just my thoughts:

How many times have we trashed the team, the coach and the organization as fans early in the season, only to see them turn it around?

This is not just a modern issue or one with Norv or AJ. We did the same thing under Marty, and well… There were no real turn around’s under Riley…

Fact is, under Norv we have seen the playoff more than with other coaches. That is partly AJ’s doing as well. That is just the facts. We do have talented players. When was the last time we had a secondary as good as ours is now (minus Cro), when was the last time we had as good a receiving corp? Linebackers… We have talented linebackers, QB, has there been any better for us since Fouts? What exactly is it you feel AJ has failed on?

He has drafted young big men for the lines, they need to develop. Do we have a star? No, but do we need stars on the line, or workhorses who get the job done?

The Chargers sit at 2-2 so far. They lost to the Ravens and Steelers. I look at only those two games when judging the Chargers so far and it is a tale of two different teams. Against the Ravens they played well. Not great, but well. Against the Steelers they did not show up.

The Chargers are not going to play every game the way they played the Steelers, and to be frank there is no excuse for the way they played. I think the players and staff would agree with that statement.

That said, there is a lot of football left. I hear a bunch of knee jerk fixes being thrown around, trade player X, get player Y, fire coach A, hire coach B… At this time of the year, whole sale changes are a mark of a team that has given up on the season. Note I said whole sale changes. Getting Chambers and McCardell when we did were not whole sale changes.

I don’t see Norv being fired during the season. Sorry, not enough Norv-away to cause that to happen in my honest opinion. I don’t see AJ getting fired.

I understand the fans frustration. Everything is being viewed in the light of the Steelers game, frustrates me too. But to say that AJ Smith needs to go because we are not undefeated to me is a NFL Madden 2k mentality. Perhaps in the game you can enter your cheat codes and make your team unbeatable, but in the NFL the teams have to struggle to win. Even the Patriots who went undefeated in the regular season had to struggle to win a few.

Look at the Colts when they won their last Superbowl. Their D sucked eggs hard. But they got it together and won.

The Chargers are no out of it by any stretch of the imagination. Even if they lose to Denver they are not out of anything.

I honestly believe the team will get better. I have seen Merriman move with a little more burst each game, LT is getting his bounce back. There are holes. Cromartie needs to go back to the nickel role IMO. Rivera needs to determine how he can get the D line more help.

The Chargers are not going to have a perfect record, some no matter how they end the season will complain. That is the lot of our life, high levels of negativity from our fellow fans. That I can live with…

People calling for AJ’s head like he has been drafting only crap players makes me wonder if anyone ever thinks beyond the angst of the moment, and consider who will replace those you want to **** can to massage your hurt feelings over the 2-2 start… We could get a GM who does a hell of a lot worse for us than Smith. That is just the fact of the situation.

So I understand the frustration. However we have no power to fire Norv or AJ, so are we going to ***** and hope they fail, or support the Chargers? I choose to support the Chargers and hope we get better. I hope you join me. If not, thats cool too, I will just have to avoid reading posts...

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,251
    Wrong forum!:icon_evil:

:lol:

27. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Conc;

Everyone thinks that they are better than Norv and AJ. The only problem is that they aren't the ones bringing home Norv & AJ's paycheck... Great comment about the NFL Madden 2K mentality.

Pointy :icon_twisted:

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,251
    :icon_eek:

:icon_evil:

:beat:

30. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I've seen it mroe than a couple of times in this thread and others, so I didn't feel like I needed to quote anyone. How exactly did AJ hire a loser in Norv? Please explain this to me. Was it because Norv had some losing seasons in Washington and Oakland? News flash guys; Belichick had one winning season out of 5 in cleveland before NE hired him, Tom Coughlin was on a 3 year losing streak before he went to NY, Tony Dungy had a label of not being able to win big games before he went to IND. Coaches that win aren't exactly looking for jobs all that often. Or is it because people on this board are better evaluators of talent than someone who spent their entire life involved in football and 30+ years in the NFL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.